Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's time to leave him at home and try out the players of the future for that rb position, imo. I'm thinking the March friendlies. He looks like he doesn't want to be there anyway (Peru game). It's easy to criticize his game but what's the point at this stage.

We have Cannon who has done well so far for a guy his age. Lima gets a look in Jan camp. I'd give those guys a chance at better competition in March window.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s still the best RB on the team and only 25. I don’t know if I’d leave him at home. But I wouldn’t lock him into 90 every game. I’d give Cannon a chance to show what he has.

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wouldn't go with the best. I'd go with the guy who gives us what we need. Yedlin never had a decent cross. He has lapses positionally. He was never going to get us a score in Couva. If Newcastle need a speed demon to keep pace with Willian and Sterling so they don't get blown out, Yedlin's fine for them. I think we move on with USMNT. I know it's hard to do. That's why nat programs get stuck under-performing.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who’s better? Cannon isn’t, Lima isnt, Zusi isn’t. He’s the best RB right now. Fabian has a case but he wants nothing to do with being a defender anymore.

T&T has nothing to do with what we’re talking about.

He’s currently the best. No his cross isn’t great and he can have lapses defensively but his elite speed tends to see him make up for those lapses.

Like I said I wouldn’t lock him into every minute for the frendlies. I’d like to see Cannon get some run. But I wouldn’t leave him at home either. We have a new head coach. He needs to see our best 11 as well as some enticing prospects for the next cycle. Yedlin is in the best 11.

Patrick167, edcrocker, Zinkoff and 4 others repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Zusi isn't a rb at this level. Cannon is learning fast. I wouldn't interrupt Cannon's development path at this stage. I believe we have Conmenbol competition in March stateside. Leaving Yedlin in Newcastle would also give us the opportunity to give LIma back up minutes against Conmenbol to see how he fares.

It's hard to see how calling Yedin up in March will progress the USMNT at this point.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin has incumbency. Cannon and Lima haven't been given much of a chance.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon isn’t going to develop at the national team level... he’s going to do that at the club level.

They’ll both have a chance in this Jan camp to get a look and minutes.

Calling up Yedlin in March is a chance for our new head coach to get a chance to work with who he thinks are our best 11 and some prospects that he thinks could play a role in the next cycle. Our coach needs to see how our players look in his system. Yedlin will still be in prime age for the WC at 29. There’s no reason to drop him when he’s still the best RB and is 25. Not to mention our new HC will not have had a chance to work with him yet. Once again he doesn’t need every minute in the March friendlies but he should be there.

Bajoro and Winoman repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can't think of anybody who developed to national team level at FCD. Were you thinking of Hedges?

Yedlin isn't our best rb.

MLS players don't develop into nat team players at club. They have to have international reps.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Ifs it not just sprinting on to a ball, or if it requires actually looking at what’s in front of you and playing a pass or cross, Yedlin’s side of the field is where attacks go to die.

Eighteen Alpha and Excellency repped this.
  10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree. Watching the Chelsea game today, it does seem like Yedlin has plateaued. He's still giving away possession too easily and still frequently gives too much room to attacking players to get shots/crosses off. He also looked somewhat disengaged in recent US call-ups, but I'd could him some slack due to that being the aimless Sarachan era. It must also be demoralizing at Newcastle right now too with Benitez complaining (justifiably) about lack of funds.

On the plus side, he's demonstrated that he won't embarrass himself every time out against some of the best players and teams in the world, which makes him the best US outside back currently. So, yeah, I'd still consider him the default starter, but I'd also give minutes to the younger up-and-comers (Cannon, Lima, maybe Dest soon, as it seems like he's moving up quickly).

truefan420 repped this.
  11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah, Yedlin has made a number of boneheaded mistakes while in a US uniform. He has that EPL halo going for him, though.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon will eventually need to leave FCD and go to Europe to play against the best attackers in the world. But his development will take place at the club level.

If Yedlin isn’t our best RB who is?

MLS players needing to develop at the international level is part of the problem and not a luxury we can afford ourselves.

TCS35, Patrick167, ifsteve and 2 others repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'd take a fit FabJo over Yedlin. Is Yedlin better than Lima and Cannon? You have to give the latter two the opportunities. Going to Europe to has little to do with the quality of the player for the National Team. Tim Chandler plays in Europe after all.

All players need to develop at international level as club play and international play aren't the same.

Excellency repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin still is but he has players right on his heels. Cannon, Lima and Rosenberry in MLs at the momenst and even younger Dest is looking like a great right back prospect. If Yedlin wants to keep his spot he needs to improve his offense. Dest seems the best long term prospect but there are other young backs to challenge. Too bad the split isn't 50/ 50 between right and left back.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian is a better player and when healthy he’s probably still one of our best players but he doesn’t want to play RB for us. Outside of Pulisic on the wing he’s probably our best LB, RB, LM, RM, LW, RW. However, his last few national team appearances were uninspiring.

Going to Europe does have to do with facing better players, more competition and better coaching. It’s not the end all of be all’s. However, there’s no denying that the best the sport has to offer is over there. If they want to be the best that’s where they’ll have to go.

Chandler is still a very talented RB but is better suited for a different role than how he was asked to play for the national team. He also struggled with speed and that’s what you see a lot of in our region.

I think Cannon and Lima should get an opportunity... in this January camp. But when March roles around and it’s FIFA dates... I call whichever of the two showed the best in January and have them match up against Yedlin. Each to get PT in the friendlies. Then when the gold cup comes around you have a legit battle and ample games for them in the group stages... winner gets the knockout rounds.

Yedlin is 25 and we have a new coach. If he was 29 and we had a coach who he’s spent a lot of time with... sure leave him at home in March for the random friendlies... but that’s not the case.

Zinkoff and DHC1 repped this.
  17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely needs to continue to improve. I was against bringing him the World Cup in 2014 because he offered nothing but speed. He’s since improved a lot but still has a ways to go. He’s got challengers but that doesn’t mean they should be gifted the chances either. They need to earn it. This January camp will be one of those opportunities. May the best of the bunch show up and rise to the top to challenge him in March. He could use some competition. He like everyone (Pulisic included) need to be reminded that your place is never safe. You need to always strive to challenge yourself to improve.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No gifted players anymore. Yedlin hasn't played for Berhalter yet and deserves the same chance as anyone else. IF he can't hack it hopefully others can. BUT he may fit like a glove. The good thing is there are many players at almost all positions coming up so no longer do we need to pin all hopes on one player.

Patrick167 repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin deserves the same chance as everyone. I disagree with the claims he is somehow hands down the best RB. The weak 1v1 defending and the mental lapses have been a few too many. His play hasn't been consistent enough.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #620 Excellency, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    In 2014 he still had heart. Yedlin was at his best when he was sporting the outrageous hair-do's.

Lately...…..?

Once I had a love and it was a gas
    Soon turned out had a heart of glass
    Seemed like the real thing, only to find
    Much of mistrust, love's gone behind

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Siebatcheu failed to get off the bench today for Rennes in their win over Nantes. A reminder that the competition on his club team, let alone the France U21 or France senior competition, is fierce. He doesn't have a single France U21 callup this cycle and it's coming to a close.

Winoman, edcrocker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Also on the bench and failing to get in in this match was Miazga. Perhaps this is a positive development, as I believe this is the first time he's even been in the 18 since mid-October. Maybe he's finally making his way out of the doghouse at Nantes.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #624 Excellency, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

Eurosnobs?

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - Yedlin is not only not our best Right Back but is so bad that he is not even worth looking at. Big Soccer is always the same.:)