Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is good news. The way they talked about it I kind of feared it would be one of those sneak up on you injuries where someone is out 2-3 months.

Sombrerito repped this.
  3. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    What a player...

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you!

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyau scored today, as did Jann George, who scored his third for the year. Those are guys we are gonna have to kick tires on if they keep it up.

Miazga also clawed into the starting 11 at Nantes, which is a very good thing. Picked up a yellow for his troubles in a 1-1 tie vs Lyon

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Wood attacked down the right flank and earned an assist on a cross towards the six-yard box, in an otherwise crushing defeat 4-1 for Hannover today.

Maybe Wood is at his best when he can attack space on the outside as a winger.

Winoman repped this.
  7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That sounds right. From what I've seen, his game is all about high energy. He's not a particularly good dribbler, but he tries to force the ball through the defense, just by being relentless. He gets the odd lucky bounce into his path and the odd goal, thereby.

On the wing, he press forward as he does, with many fewer obstacles in his way. If he can cross, that's probably where he belongs.

8. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKennie scored the loan goal for Schalke 04 today in their UCL win!

Marko72, OWN(yewu)ED, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who say athleticism does not matter; Jump first, jump fast, jump high and cover every blade of grass for 90+ minutes!

https://streamja.com/aLQQ

....WESTON MAAACCKENNIE!!!!

Bajoro and Winoman repped this.
  10. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood with a 1st half brace, and McKennie scores in Germany.

11. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in a goal for Emo and a goal for Cameron;

OWN(yewu)ED, Marko72 and Winoman repped this.
  12. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Gall today. Good week for goal scorers for our YAs. Defenders on the other hand...

14. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Wood is getting red hot now. When he's on he's very good but when he's not... he can be subpar.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've never understood why we don't tell out of form vets to stay with club and get back in form instead of calling them in on the theory that a game will help them. The latter may sometimes be the case (like if club team chemistry is bad) but more often than not, the out-of-form player poisons the chalice when he shows up in USMNT camp. Wood looked gimp to me all last year. Why spread the disease?

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Miazga had a blunder this past game that shows his lack of comfort with the ball at his feet. A player whose good on the ball would've likely controlled the pass from the GK. A player whose not would've likely done would Miazga did. He's gotten better at it in recent years, but I still think he's not an every game player for our NT. As long as he's not much better than the other CB options, I don't think we can stylistically afford to be carrying a passenger who struggles on the ball every game. I think he's a better option when we are bunkering. Or if you are going to play him in an open game, you need to make sure you pair him with someone who is mobile and good on the ball.

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    it is possible Wood got the move to Hannover and is playing in the Bundesliga, instead of the 2.Bund because of his goal against Ireland.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think it is unfair to pick out one play in one game and then to extrapolate that to every touch in every game. If Miazga was incapable completely, he wouldn't be starting for a team trying to play the ball out of the back under pressure in the first place. Most likely, Miazga assumed that since the GK played him the ball their wasn't an opponent about to close him down. Lack of awareness and concentration for him in that moment sure. But can only play when we won't have the ball is silly.

So many here see one highlight or lowlight and then extrapolate that player's ability or "form". When Lukaku completely turned Besler, twice, for Belgium's second in the World Cup, did we just write him off as an impossibly poor 1 v 1 defender?

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought I didn’t have to clarify this, but I agree one mistake should not be extrapolated to a new narrative. I’ve been making this point for years about Miazga. He simply isn’t very comfortable on the ball.

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    As cynically expected, both Pulisic and McKennie returned to action today.

But there's no room to complain until the US hired and installs a new manager.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Players have 1-2 weeks knocks; no cynicism needed. Why play through a knock just for a friendly.

If they were indeed knackered a permanent US coach wouldn't speed the healing process.

Patrick167 repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sick assist from Gooch

1053673687357054976 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Amon assist.

1053665901453733888 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It this case it's not just playing through it but traveling half way around the world. That takes a toll on the body and when injured, in a meaningless game, with a lame duck of an interm coach there's no need. They need to continue to improve and that's better suited by getting their bodies right and playing for their clubs. Not risking their health in a meaningless game for SUM to exploit them.

gunnerfan7, TxEx, RalleeMonkey and 2 others repped this.