Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well...…………..Richards is still technically under contract to FCD.
    So he's doing some pretty careful steppin' in his comments to the media.

He could have signed on a free to any Euro club in April when he turned 18. So his ambition is to play in Europe, but he must also have a level of loyalty of FCD.

As I've said previously, all FCD efforts in the youth arena can be viewed thru the prism of McKennie. From their viewpoint, I don't think they care if they become a launching pad for elite youth to head elsewhere. As long as they get paid...…………...

IndividualEleven repped this.
  3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CB's shouldn't be in a whole bunch of foot races. Theirs is more positioning and quick, short bursts. CCV isn't going to win many 40 yard dashes against top forwards, no. You don't like him. I do. We'll see in 4 yrs who's picked the better horse.

I want players who need reigns, not a whip. CCV needs to tone it down and will with experience he's getting now. You could say he's a bit amped up after waiting for some PT for a while now.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I actually do like Carter-Vickers. I just think some overrate him. I think his overall skill-set is worse than a number of US-developed CB's.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion though. No issue from me with that, except I disagree on the content of what you said. I think thats the point of this thread though, to discuss the different players.

ChuckMe92 and laxcoach repped this.
  5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like CCV and want him to do well, but I think I learned a lot about him in the France game. When Miazga was telling him where to be and who to tackle, he looked great, especially when the ball was in front or to the side of him. All he had to do was react. Once Miazga got hurt, EPB came in and CCV moved over to the MCB position, effectively taking Miazga’s position. There was no communication on defense at all and EPB was looking around wondering where CCV was and who he was marking. After a few minutes, EPB realized CCV wasn’t going to communicate, so EPB started barking out orders and telling CCV where to be. Suddenly, the chances that France had started to get consistently were much more contested and infrequent. Miazga was clearly a better communicator and more in charge of the back 5 and central midfielders, but it was clear that EPB was the leader between he and CCV.

ChuckMe92 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are a CB playing on a team that presses and holds a high line, it is inevitable that you are going to get in the occasional foot race despite positioning, awareness, etc. If you don’t fare well covering ground, you won’t get much time on clubs that want to play that way.

7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The process that takes place here until age 18 will be a key determinant of our success. That's where the majority of development will occur.

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're 100% right but look no further than his teammate Vertonghen. He's not fast and doesn't win many foot races but he's one hell of a CB and plays for them.

9. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. 'occasional' being the key word and I don't think the US is geared to be that pressing team just yet.

It's not a game breaker to be a 4.9 40 yd dash CB if your positioning awareness is good (and yes his isn't great yet/still). It's still a team game and the D will have to shift/adjust from time to time based on offensive runs.

He's a work in progress like most American soccer players. I just think his upside is great and will be closer to being realized because of PT and coaching.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnati...nham-hotspur-and-it-not-the-belgian-you-think

Better yet, watch Vertonghen, playing at left-back, cave in the US right side in the '14 World Cup.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    No disagreement here although I’d note that the difference between UCL and minor leagues is all in the last 5%, if not much less.

Some of our players will be able to move to the best programs at 16 but hopefully we have a way for top talent to continue here but then move as soon as they’re 18.

I’m watching Carlton closely to see how soon he can transfer - he’s be much better served heading to an elite (non-UK given his skill set/athleticism) program asap rather than staying at ATL.

12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That made me laugh a little ;)

For the time being, I’d agree that players should be trying to bolt when they turn 18. But in the future, this league needs to be good enough that the ones who choose, or are forced for one reason or another, to stay will be playing in a competitive league where they can grow to be the best player they can be.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think MLS is a reasonably competitive league already although quite a ways from the best. More importantly, MLS will have to consider itself a developmental league for it to be a strong option IMO and I don’t see much desire to do that currently.

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the long term, I’d say not seeing itself as a developmental league actually figures to improve the league faster and take the league higher. But even if it’s a nice league now, most teams have a long way to go before a player can play here and reasonably expect to reach his full potential playing in MLS.

gunnerfan7 and largegarlic repped this.
  15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The marginal differences at the top are small, outside of true superstars, but magnified in importance. To get there it takes transcendental talent and/or the entire process working out. You can't miss out on any part systematically.

And for me the best programs are the places where a guy can get the best tactical instruction, where they learn to think and feel the game, with a chance to play.

He should go to a place where they value his skill set, know how to maximize his strengths, teach him to minimize his weaknesses, and he can play while he matures. That team needs to have players he can play off of and a tactical/strategic environment conducive to his growth and stable enough to see him through the transition to starter.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Talent and drive. Dempsey went to Spurs. Before that Arsenal had tried to buy him. Gooch went to AC Milan. Holden was one of the top center mids in the PL before his injury. All three went to college.

There's nothing wrong with a young player going into a top European team's system. But there are multiple pathways to a strong NT career.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparing the current landscape to 2000-03 makes little sense.

Patrick167 and Excellency repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Why not? Actually, the game's having improved in quality would make for a stronger argument that there are multiple pathways to strong NT career.

Even so, EPB, Miazga, Maars Johnsen, and Frantzdy all left for Europe after turning 20.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Carlton should take the Donovan path. Play for an MLS team which values him and plays him regularly. We don't have to think like robots. A player who is as good as Donovan doesn't have to go to Europe. He does need the right support system in the MLS which may not be there in the modern era of oligarchs looking to pinch pennies and taking advantage of Americans who can't get to Europe for one reason or another.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think that goalies (in particular) and defenders can start in MLS and still have a UCL-level career.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Alphonso Davies started in MLS and will likely have a UCL career.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You may be right.

I wish MLS played 15 year olds and sold them right at 18 regularly. I fear that this is a one-off as MLs doesn’t view itself as a feeder league even though it should.

23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. EPB and Miazga spent some time in MLS. Perhaps more pertinently, they played while they were there.

Frantzdy was drafted by Colorado, was available for 3 games, and made two US Open Cup appearances before being dropped. Honestly, not sure how he made it to Royal Mouscron, because he doesn't have a club attachment for 17/18. Certainly a stretch to say it was because of MLS.

BMJ does not appear to have spent any time in MLS whatsoever. At least according to transfermarkt...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bjorn-johnsen/profil/spieler/250686

If you're going to tout MLS players leaving after 20, you should go with Brek Shea, Juan Agudelo, Andy Najar (20 y.o), Fabian Castillo, Cyle Larin, and Geoff Cameron.