Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think thats a good comparison to our player pool.

Thats essentially like a 3-1-4-2. Doesn't look much at all like what we'd put out. We'd put out a formation that looks more like a 3-4-1-2, if we were using the players you suggested. It could get us a result, but I don't think it would lead to anything but bad football.

2. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Benny Corona played the full 90’ at the 6 for America, in their win over Querétaro (Jonny B. wasn’t in the 18). Interesting that Piojo plays Joe Benny in that spot.

edcrocker repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Keaton every touch video. I see some good play here. He needs to get stronger though, a 6'4 player should not be outmuscled as easily as he is.

https://streamable.com/g3sc8

sXeWesley, edcrocker, Dr.Phil and 4 others repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Really? Is this real life or a joke? The rumor is all over Mexico-based social media as well.

Winoman repped this.
  6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why not. I needed something after perusing the Jonathan Gonzalez thread and came up with this

But this news - presuming it isn't fake - did the trick too. I'll be watching.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    How about this news?

sXeWesley, TxEx, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #584 Excellency, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Stuck in the pecking order. We are going to be swimming in players with pressure from this side, pressure from that side. I don't see it as good news anymore.

We never get out of our own way. A kid is sitting in our backyard and we do everything to alienate him but if somebody in an academy somewhere overseas sees he cant play for his native country and qualifies for US under FIFA rules he becomes a "must get".

We really need to begin telling people they have to earn it on the pitch. Pedigree isn't enough for me. Something is terribly wrong

Edit: did a search and first result showing Tillman and Booth in same story. How much luck have we had with the guys who grew up in Germany anyway?
    https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...ich-interested-in-usynt-standout-taylor-booth

For me it seems like American players are popping up who are really good, smart players until MLS single entity decide they have to be stunted while the guys we got who grew up in Germany are saturnine robots who seem rather artless in actual soccer skills. Yet I'll bet people here write a page on Tillman for every word they write about Booth.

10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #585 Eighteen Alpha, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Win some lose some :)

Frankly, I'd rather lose a DM and gain a winger given our relative depth at those positions.

edit: due to one time switch, if he does come to us it will be permanent. I wonder if this will have any effect on his brother's future decision making.

RalleeMonkey and largegarlic repped this.
  11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I read The Memoirs of Ulysses Grant" over the holidays and was stunned by how good it was. I can recommend it to anybody on thee boards.

Grant said that the American soldier was very different fro the European soldier because the American was intelligent and fighting for something. I wish I could find the quote but the stupid quotes selections I found don't reflect Grant's memoirs at all.

This quote is related but not entirely to the point:
    If men make war in slavish observance of rules, they will fail. No rules will apply to conditions of war as different as those which exist in Europe and America...War is progressive, because all the instruments and elements of war are progressive.

Anyway this book is the one you want

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Per...r=1-5&keywords=the+memoirs+of+ulysses+s+grant

sXeWesley, Rahbiefowlah and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    With Sargent starting to practice with the first team at Bremen after a few weeks of being there, why would any young American choose MLS over especially Germany?

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    April Fools' is Día de los Inocentes in the Spanish-speaking world and celebrated on December 28th.

COMtnGuy, USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Because getting opportunities in Europe for most young players ain't easy.

Dr.Phil and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because most of the time you need to be 18 or have another passport.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm pretty sure Sargent can't play at any level in non-friendlies until the summer, so as mentioned, he has to wait until he's past 18 to even play for youth teams in Europe. If you can go at 16, its likely a much easier decision.

And also, I don't know why its considered a guarantee that Sargent will go straight into the first team. McKennie didn't, Wright didn't, Taitague didn't, Perez didn't, we haven't had an 18 year old sign with a good team in Europe and go straight into the first team since Rubin who wasn't supposed to start with the first team right away. He started with the first team because their first team strikers were injured.

Maybe Sargent will, but some seem to act like its a guarantee, I'm not sure it is. Also, there's every chance Werder Bremen is in the 2. Bundesliga next season. That might be good for Sargent's chances of getting playing time, so that might not be such a bad thing, but Werder Bremen isn't exactly a top club in Europe.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic?

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He signed at 16, but started out with the U-17's, then played for the U-19's.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, very different from a 17-year-old signing and playing with the U-23's... I mean, Pulisic technically was a BVB rotation player at 17-ish, so yeah, not apples to apples. But a 18-year-old Sargent could certainly be a starter on a stagnant Bundesliga/2.Bundesliga team. He doesn't turn 18 till February, which means he'll have an entire offseason to potentially break into the first team at 18.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am more surprised on his one time switch to play for Mexico. ;)

Winoman repped this.
  21. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Honestly if Donovan came out retirement last year, he may saved our World Cup.

RalleeMonkey, schrutebuck and butters59 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's coming back like a dang cyborg to win that C-CAF Champions.

[​IMG]

Actually, doubt he'll play much, but with that soccer brain he can help even from the chair.

PS: Also, been saying this for ages: some day down the road, 30 years in the future or so, Mexico will win a WC with LD as their coach.

Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    No Cameron (even on the bench) in Stoke v. United. Is he hurt? Or, is he out with the new manager, as is so often the case w/ YA's?

25. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

As for your first question, he suffered what is believed to be a minor injury in the Cup game last week.