Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week, 2015-16 Edition [R: includes results from many matches]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well in his previous column just before the game he said this http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...ggest-question-facing-usmnt-moving-forward-qa

"I question, though, whether he can be the perfect partner for Wood or Morris, because even with his hold-up play and passing Jozy is still very much a true forward, as are those guys, and the simple fact is that most teams can’t afford to have two true forwards out there anymore. The 4-4-2 cedes numbers in the central midfield, a feature of the formation rather than a bug. Teams try to compensate for that by having one of the forwards drop deep and act as an ad hoc No. 10, morphing the 4-4-2 into a 4-5-1 and allowing long passages of play in which they're playing with even number in the midfield.

This is what I have been saying all along. The 442 diamond with Jozy + 1 (Dempsey or Wood) is inevitably a blob attack with a compromised defense. I grant that Wood is a better defender than Dempsey and Jozy, both.

I think the problem is that American fans have grown up on a diet of 442 + Donovan and a younger Dempsey . Donovan retired. He covered up a lot of sins, including lack of wide forwards like Puli needed for a 433 or even a DiVaio type forward like Morris. We have Morris and Puli now. No need for a blob attack anymore.

Edit: We will need mids who can play up tempo and keep the team on the front foot which we don't have in our present squad, other than Zardes.

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Wood having the set of strengths and weaknesses he has affects the types of formations and systems our team can use and include him.

In real time on that play I yelled at the TV for him to cut it back (the people trying to eat lunch appreciated it I'm sure). If Bobby becomes a Suarez or Sturridge level finisher he'll earn the right to take those low % chances and ignore teammates in better positions (although this may have been another technical error on his left).

3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relatively quiet on the Yank front in the 10am (ET) PL kickoffs. Cameron starts at RB for Stoke. Guzan is back to the bench with Valdes healthy again. And unsurprisingly, no Hyndman or Zelalem in the 18 for their respective sides.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    CCV on the bench for Spurs.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Wood exists, and he wishes to be acknowledged

6. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Get in Bobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got a feeling Stoke will probably be going down this year, they look truly awful

oh, and Adrian is an an awful keeper for West Ham, just terrible. We rag on Guzan, you gotta watch this guy, itll make you feel better.

9. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Well, they count whether the keeper commits a blunder or not. Well done recognizing that the LB was keeping him on.

10. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit also for not completely shanking it.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free hot dogs for Newcastle tonight!

Goal DeAndre Yedlin in injury time!

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    774676166837927936 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy, 50/50 Ball and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Cameron did not have a good day

14. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was at RB, right? How many goals were on him?

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't think any, but he was not good. He didn't help out the defenders who made the main mistakes, and he made a handful of stupid plays that didn't really result in anything, but could've.

16. tippco333

tippco333 Member

AC Perugia
    United States
    Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke look absolutely abysmal. Worst team of the Prem so far IMO.

Which is crazy because they have the talent level of a 6-8 placed squad.

17. trafficjam304

trafficjam304 Member

May 28, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have 4 regular starters injured some haven't played this season at all, including their goalie (possibly England #1) and RB. They will probably turn it around but they don't look good for sure.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bacon starting up top for Bremen today

Marko72 repped this.
  19. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Some of his touches and ideas are so Dempsey-like to me. I hope he can stay healthy.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto, not my favorite player personally but Ill always root for him no matter. I want him to continue to grow as a player and make our forward options an embarrassment of riches/

ooooohhhhh Augsburg almost went int he lead. Bremen's defense is less thean impressive.

We got a few guys at central defense we could send over to the BL from what ive seen this year and it would be an improvement over what some of these teams have.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    penalty converted by Bacon! right before the half!

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Augsburg level. I repeat, Bremen's defense is not that good.

any of Hedges, Zimmerman, Birnbaum be an improvement.

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I just started watching at the half, and Bremen have already had 2-3 pretty bad defensive lapses. Nothing wrong with Johannsson's play though.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bremen defender makes a foul that could have/should have been a penalty at the edge of the box, but the free kick on the outside of the box is converted anyway. 2-1 Augsburg

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and one of bremen's two central defenders just got stretchered off with what looked like a pretty bad injury, they could be down to 10 for the duration and maybe lost another defender long term