Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week, 2015-16 Edition [R: includes results from many matches]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Today is my 1st time to see Gooch in action. I'm at the 61st minute, he hasn't looked very good. Only positive I can think of is that he poked a ball away once and and he bounced a cross off a defender for a corner. Other than that, his touches have been kind of bad. He's getting caught up on the ball a lot; and is always unsuccessful trying to dribble out of trouble. The ball gets caught under him, and he tries to lean the opponent off the ball and attempt to turn with it, but the ball always trickles so that it's an easy dispossession for he opponent. His teammates seem to be passing the ball around him.

Hoping that he gets enough time during the Sunderland's injury epidemic to work on and raise his game.

Injuries or not, it's a fine accomplishment for a U.S. player to be starting in the PL at the age of 20. But, imo - just based on this one match, he's a ways away from me wanting him called up.

As I type, he just did it again. He was playedat his age. a bad ball from his teammate. He tried to lean into the Soton player to protect the ball, ball just rolled through to the other side where the Soton player easily collects it. It's like he thinks he's bigger than he is. Oh well - good for him for getting PL games

edcrocker and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, this is technically a Germerican vs. Germerican dispute, though neither of them is probably aware of it. :ROFLMAO:

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MUCH better game from Guzan today. made some big stops today to keep the clean sheet. Moar ov that plz, k thx

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1429 iad_22201, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Big stops? I don't remember either GK having to make any "big stops" today. Brad did have one of his patented flaps at a corner at the end of the first half.

As an aside, that was one of the most boring matches I can remember watching. Neither side ever looked like scoring.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the barometer for me was "he didnt screw up", lighten up francis. Ive been worried about him too. The measuring stick is now, get through a game without one "guzan", and he did that today. so in that sense, much better game. He went through a streak in the EPL as a pretty good keeper at one point, american fans hope he can get close to that level again, and anything that looks like a turned corner is welcome news. No one said he stood on his head, but youd be disingenuous to say the shot block where he clattered into the Middlesbrough player on the right side of the goal line was not a good stop.

6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he didn't. That flap at the corner at the end of the 1st certainly qualifies as a "guzan" in my book.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your book is awfully picky then. Youre gonna turn down a lot of nice girls on dates with that kind of pickiness.

For USMNT fans evaluating goalkeepers right now, we just hope for no monumental screw ups. A flap on a corner is not a monumental screw up. If you are judging it through USMNT lenses, you have to know our barometer is not that high right now.

8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Pull up his posting history. I scanned his last, like 15-16 posts. There's not a positive word in there. Don't look for iad to be Bigsoccer's little ray of sunshine. :)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Otoh, he was MOM last week. So, maybe it was just a bad match.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Positioning.

11. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    You should go back and watch all his PL mins thus far if you're looking to judge someone's quality. You're coming to conclusions off half an hour of play...

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His positioning/movement off the ball is superior to every striker in our pool, bud.

That our striker pool suffers from a disease known as 'too-damn-static' is an understatement.

COMtnGuy and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, a little tidbit on Michael Orozco-Fiscal. Who holds the American record for the most appearances in Liga MX? [According to wikipeadia, Jose Francisco Torres has 193; so Orozco is ahead of him if wikipedia is to be believed.]

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    More like 70 minutes.

But, yes, I did say it was a super limited sample size. I'll be watching all of Sundy's matches that I can, and hoping he does well.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1440 Clint Eastwood, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Great news...........[Unless you're an FCD fan.]
    He joins forward USYNTer Haji Wright with Schalke. Nick Taitague, another former US U17 has been training with the club as well.

Weston is a box-to-box midfielder. Think Kellyn Acosta. Weston is perhaps better going forward at this age than Kellyn, while Kellyn was a better defensive player. The two paired in central midfield would have been interesting.

FCD has a history of developing central midfielders. Hyndman, Ulloa, Acosta, McKennie, etc. Paxton Pomykol of the US U19s could be next in line.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Do you think he is disciplined enough to play as a dmid if asked? I've really liked what limited clips I've seen of him.

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/08/u-s-u-20-weston-mckinnie-signs-with-schalke

He convinced us that he is a robust and smart player,” said academy director Oliver Ruhnert. “In his home country, he is one of the top footballers of his year. He is also a youth international and was also captain of his team. He brings with him a lot, even in terms of mentality. We are convinced that Weston is able to play professional football. Therefore, this transfer is useful.”

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe, but his offensive game is good enough that I don't think you'd want to put him there right now. Maybe long term he'll move into that kind of role.

One thing to note about Weston McKennie is that a few months ago he was captaining three teams. He captained the US U19s in a tournament in Europe (named best player at that tournament as noted in the image below). He was the captain of the FCD U18 academy team that won the national title (although he didn't play in the finals). He also was already captaining Schalke U19s as a "guest player" at the Ruhr Cup. This is clearly a player with noted leadership abilities.

[​IMG]

I'll use this opportunity to post this picture, because it is one of my favorites.
    This is indeed little Weston McKennie. It comes from a fan meet-and-greet in 2006 at Ramstein Air Base in Germany.

[​IMG]

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Three captains?

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, the only weak point that's ever been claimed against him is sulkiness and bad finishing. Seems to be a thing of the past now. Otherwise, strength, speed, quickness, movement, hold up and combinations are all at a high level which is why he has been favored for so long by so many teams in spite of 2 years of bad injury and form.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing from the photo above that his dad must have been in the military in Germany. Could explain why he wanted his son to play there.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Matt Miazga found new home with Espanyol

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Really like that move, they seem to need CB help as well.

23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No confirmation on Matt Miazga yet, but Sky Sports says La Liga window closes tomorrow.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They just announced that they are bringing in Diego Reyes on loan. Reyes isn't very good, but still hard to think they'd be bringing in two younger CB's on loan. Maybe Miazga will move elsewhere.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

COMtnGuy and truefan420 repped this.