Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013-2014(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bmo180, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The EPL has improved faster than we have, the gap is too big for many of our players. They need to learn a lot about the game and the intensity and focus required to start in Europe. Our players need to look at their first move as a developmental challenge.

Sleep tight, koolvid and Jsean repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Yet when Klinsmann makes this point, a lynch mob forms.

LuckofLichaj, Jsean, CTS26 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uh the reality is that financially there really is not a market for American players in Europe. For most players well being (salary) they will probably get a better deal in MLS.

I doubt a Andrew Wenger (who is on almost 250k/a year) would get that starting out in Denmark or something.

Jsean and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  4. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    To be a little more precise about this, MLS is often willing to outbid European clubs nowadays.

That's a little different from saying that no market exists. Arguably, the best way to get MLS to loosen its purse strings is to have even a modicum of success in Europe first. (Very few amateur players get a huge signing bonus the way Wenger did.)

5. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we all can agree that an American soccer player should experience soccer in Europe, then what does that say about our guys? I would lay a lot of this at the feet of the players. Ambition seems to be outweighed by higher domestic salaries and the comforts of home. I am not knocking this outlook...but, just like the olympic contenders need to sacrifice everything to make the grade, so should the soccer players.

Our league is, indeed, improving, but is that going to happen fast enough to be in serious contention for the WC or to be known as a soccer nation? Maybe the players just don't want to work that hard.

Jsean repped this.
  6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of our players don't get the opportunities that a Rubio or Flores get. They can't even sign in MLS because they aren't apart of an academy. So, they go to college..and pretty much just have MLS or perhaps Scandinavia a a real option. MLS is the much safer option has a better track record of leading to a USMNT call up. Guys like Bedoya, Davies, Gooch, who steadily work their way up through Europe are rare because it's just extremely difficult to seize the right
    opportunity in Europe. The opportunities just aren't there.

Marko72 repped this.
  7. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    Come on.

Julian Green- Bayern- Loaned out to another Bundesliga club
    Joe Gyau- Dortmund
    Fabian Johnson - Borussia Mönchengladbach

We have players on the books of top clubs we just need to get them playing!

8. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all seriousness, why is this? I happen to think Johnson is a top-flight player and would be an asset for any club. I do not think think that any coach in Europe is going to keep a guy down if he works hard and has talent. So, does this mean that Americans are just not as good as other countries? Is there still a problem with getting a work permit?

If none of the above is true, then is has to be the quality of players. This is hard for me to believe, as I have seen some mediocre players on some of the English teams. If our players cannot get playing time in Europe, as was the case with Bradley, and in some ways Dempsey, then I honestly think they would be better off with MLS. I can't see them playing for lesser clubs in the Championship or second-tiered clubs in other countries.

I think we have to be realistic and happy that we are doing as well as we are considering just about all other sports are more popular than soccer. This may be changing slightly...and hopefully the trend continue.

Fanatical Monk and deuteronomy repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Uh... For Funks Sake - stop writing CRAPPPPPP@!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok. I feel better.

"getting playing time in Europe" was NEVER. NEVEREVEREVER - even when everyone swore that Fulham's new manager, or the latest Bundesliga wunderkind signing was going to, for sure this time no doubt about it kick him to the bench - It NEVER happened for any length of time. NEVER. Demps is a few years gone from Fulham. Fulham is gone from the EPL. Demps is a couple years gone from Spurs. Spurs is bottom 3rd.

direct causation? No, of course not. But BOTH those teams hit pinnacles or near pinnacles with Demps play many, many minutes.

Why does this insanely incorrect urban myth continue. Demps came to the US because Spurs is an unstable club, he has young kids and he got PAID.

Ok, I really feel better now.

Fabio is very good, just not Bayern rockstar good. No sin in that.

Cameron has gotten plenty of game in the EPL.
    Jozy has gotten plenty of game in the EPL (yeah, I know about this year.)
    Bedoya has gotten plenty of game in Ligue 1
    Rubin, at 18, has injury bugged his way into a nice bit of game in the Ered.

And all those mediocre EPL players... well, perhaps you were not destined to be a soccer scout.

10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about you go look at our U-20 roster and count how many of these players are actually playing in the USA. Nothing like letting facts getting in the way of making statements.

Marko72 and freisland repped this.
  11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reflecting on this post, I think that this problem can be fixed at home with better coaching and more exposure to the tactical side of the game while growing up.

Which is definitely a good thing.

12. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Check out @twelfthyank's Tweet:

13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the case of Johnson it's more about the manager than the player. Favre rotates heavyly starting with 13 different teams the last 13 matches and especially on the wing. So what do you expect? Johnson gets his minutes there and has strong competition. I won't go so far to say he's an bad season, he's part of a team that looks very strong currently and he gets playing time there.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ImaPuppy repped this.
  15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sacha Kljestan playing for Anderlecht in a rare yank on yank champions league game.

Well at least as close as we will get.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's called a soccer discussion. If you disagree fine, but grouping various opinions and trying to discredit them with the term "lynch mob" is a crap argument.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is evident that MLS is behind the top 6 leagues in Europe. If we have a player 21-24 who has the ability, mindset and a market for those leagues he should be in one of those leagues. hands down.

also this is probably only a fraction of our playing pool. as evidenced by the fraction who are over there.

comoesa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Marko72 repped this.
  19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Or....maybe not...:confused:

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team is like that Chievo Verona that Bradley played for than plenty of MLS mids and defenders could play at that level.

Maybe this is a sign that American players have stopped with the England or bust trend.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Serie A is a great place for Americans. It is the lowest of the top 4 leagues right now. With EPL and LA Liga at the top. Bundesliga right behind them both.

I think Americans should stay away from EPL. Its the cream of the crop of national teams that play there.

Bundesliga and Serie A are great options.

RalleeMonkey and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again he is 26. This is a good time for him to go over .I hope he is very successful. He did a great job this last season. should be interesting.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York