Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013-2014(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bmo180, Jan 15, 2014.

1. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been nothing but crickets since Belgium knocked us off our cloud.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dortmund are the walking wounded right now. So many injuries.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TO be fair to Joe the manager has spoken well of him. But yes once the injured players come back....we shall see.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look up Wally Pipp(ed), I think its great he got some first team minutes and gives other teams a chance to see him and maybe make a bid.

6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    So rumor last night was JAB was brought down to Hertha's U23. Rumor this morning is he will be released from his club :eek: :(

This really bums me out. Keep your head up, Johnny.

JK to the rescue?

8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumor about being released is not true. Hobo translated the article properly (as a German speaker, not via Google translate), and he is only being transferred between the 1st team and the U23s.

COMtnGuy and Hobo repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor is JAB has joined ISIS on a one time FIFA transfer.

Waits for it......

10. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
  11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Thank goodness. The rumor I heard was that he was joining a boy band.

Marko72 repped this.
  12. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Yes, have a laugh, I messed up the phrasing on that. My point was things took a turn for Brooks and now he has to dig himself out. Good news is he is still young enough to fight through it.

13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday October 17th

Lobos BUAP vs. Merida 6:00 p.m. Univision Deportes

Club Tijuana vs. Querétaro 10:30 p.m. ESPN Deportes, Azteca America, and Watch ESPN

Deportivo Tepic vs. Mineros de Zacatecas 10:30 p.m. GOL TV and Estudio 5

Saturday October 18th

Cardiff City vs. Nottingham Forest 7:00 a.m. beIN Sports and beIN Sports Connect

Everton vs. Aston Villa 10 a.m. Premier League Extra Time (participating television providers) and NBC Sports Live Extra

Southampton vs. Sunderland 10 a.m. Premier League Extra Time (participating television providers) and NBC Sports Live Extra

Schalke 04 vs. Hertha BSC 12:30 p.m. Gol TV

Nantes vs. Reims 2:00 p.m. beIN Sports Connect

Puebla vs. Universidad Guadalajara 6:00 p.m. ESPN Deportes, Azteca America, and Watch ESPN

Club América vs Monterrey 6:00 p.m. Univision, Univision Deportes, and Univision Deportes en Vivo

Tigres UANL vs. Cruz Azul 8:00 p.m. Univision Deportes

Club León vs Guadalajara 9:06 p.m. Telemundo and Deportes Telemundo

Atlas vs. Toluca 10:0o p.m. Univision Deportes

Chiapas vs. Santos Laguna 10:00 p.m. Univision Deportes 2

Sunday October 19th

Hamburger SV vs. Hoffenheim 1899 9:30 a.m. Gol TV

Paderborn vs. Eintracht Frankfurt 11:30 a.m. Gol TV

USAMEX10 repped this.
  14. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    And in related news, Spector's mom will be participating in the World Apnea Championships this fall. When asked what accounts for her sparkling form she replied, "I have years of practice holding my breath during Jon's many bouts with injury." She further added, "I've taken to the sport like a true Soccer Mom to water".

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I see this thread in my alerts and I think "Who? Who could be the yanks abroad flavor of the week? Anybody?"

Alas, it's Spector talking about stuff, and only being out for three months. At least its 4 months into a new cycle.

Jsean repped this.
  16. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio

522787175826726912 is not a valid tweet id

Marko72 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  17. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper showdown this weekend at Goodison Park:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...alkeeper-duel-headlines-weekend-action-europe

Tim Howard – Everton vs. Brad Guzan – Aston Villa (Saturday, 10 am on Premier League Extra Time). While these teams are dead even in 216 meetings since 1888, Howard has lost to Villa just once since the start of 2009 and backstopped off an EPL sweep last season. Guzan has yet to win this clash of countrymen in three tries and the visitors enter this contest with three straight shutout losses in EPL play. The Villans may receive a boost, though, with top gun Christian Benteke and back line marshal Ron Vlaar both striving to make injury returns at Goodison Park.

18. bibotelli12

bibotelli12 Member

May 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow Sunderland was bad today. Arguably the worst performance I have ever seen in a Premier league match. The manager surely has to give Jozy a start and change things up a little.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Geoff Cameron back for Stoke in premier league action. Just came on around the 60th minute against Swansea.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  20. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a shit year it has been for Yanks Abroad.

JJV1994, Jsean, Eleven Bravo and 2 others repped this.
  21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Wood get demoted to U-23's? Bet he's called up in November though.

Jsean and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Sounds like JK will start him in that case.

23. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has surely not been a good year for Americans abroad. Why is that? Possibly we just do not have enough soccer talent to play in the larger clubs or could it be that our young guys just do not want to go abroad. Maybe the young crop playing in MLS feel comfortable staying at home and earning more and more money as they and MLS improve and grow. Also, there is JK to contend with. He does seem to favor guys who are of mixed heritage and playing abroad.

I do think that the guys who strived to play abroad...Dempsey, McBride, Bradley and, of course, goalies...have come back to the MLS as better players. Is it better to give more money to players like Zusi and Besler and have them stay at home or get the experience that would have likely taken their game to a new level playing abroad? Although Zusi probably would not have been picked up, as, IMHO, he is not good enough for European clubs.

On another note, did JA play last weekend? And, if so, how did he do.

koolvid repped this.
  24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a broad assertion there. He could've found a team in Switzerland, Belgium, the Eredivisie, etc. The second tier of Euro leagues would've been about his level IMO.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The problem is with the players from the ages of 20-28 that have enjoyed successful careers at North American/Scandinavian clubs and haven't yet proven themselves at the highest levels of club soccer. It seems like more and more of those players are deciding to stay put where they are or come back to MLS than test themselves in the best leagues.

We need to stop putting this garbage into people's heads that MLS is improving leaps and bounds and our best players should be playing in our domestic league because its going to make MLS so much better. I agree that MLS is definitely improving, but its still far away from being as good as the top European leagues. We need to let the league improve its main problems like youth developmental system, number of clubs, promotion/relegation and salary cap before we start encouraging our best players to play in MLS. Our best players playing in MLS isn't going to make it one of the best leagues in the world. People really need to understand that. Our best players playing in MLS is damaging our National Team more than helping MLS.