XFL team to play at Audi Field

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ImNumberTen, Nov 30, 2018.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This alone should make people want to get rid of income inequality.

tallguy and PSURoss repped this.
  2. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the AAF went belly up today. We can hope the XFL does before it even starts.

Winoman, ImNumberTen, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This kind of shit sucks for everyone involved. It actually pisses me off. It was horrible to read when they were having issues paying out after the first week of the season. I hoped with more investors and tv coverage they would make it through the season. They only made it through 8 of the 10 game season and made players pay for their own travel back home. That's ********ed up. I don't know how many football leagues indoors and outdoors have come and gone. People forget that when they talk about all of the things done to make sure MLS is viable now and in the future.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  4. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, its definitely raw to the players involved. These are guys who were seriously scouted and yet not drafted for the NFL. A number of them probably have had trials/limited walk-on runs with those teams. They're good, they love the game, and this was their way of getting to play it beyond their college years.

I imagine the pay was pretty paltry, i.e. early MLS days where you'd need a job selling cars part time to get by for the year or something. And they had to pay their own way home. Hopefully not booked on WOW airline...

Early MLS had to do enough to make it financially (and perhaps still does need what it does to keep thriving) and that's without the money sucking machine that is the NFL around pulling the attention and draw. Sure we had European, Mexican League, and USMNT fans in the US, but there was a fan base to be built in cities for local teams. These football leagues are often working smallish markets that are already heavily saturated with NFL allegiances.

Winoman repped this.
  5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not surprising. The NFL has peaked and is probably looking at a slow but steady decline in the foreseeable future. Part of the problem is that a lot of people are becoming uncomfortable with a sport that demonstrably enhances the prospect of permanent brain damage for those who choose to play. Sort of the same thing happened with boxing, which is why boxing has become a niche, albeit a lucrative niche, sport.

The guys who threw their money away on the AAF would have been better advised if they had invested in the new American pro rugby and pro lacrosse leagues, which have a long term upside that pro football does not have.

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how much trouble the AAF was in: you guys are talking about its birth and death, and I've never heard of it. What was it? An indoor football league?

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outdoor. Spring league... maybe going into the summer. I listened to a couple people talk about it on a podcast around when they played their first game and it sounded pretty well doomed to failure.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It seemed pretty sound through most of the first weekend. It did decent ratings on CBS and that led to expanding tv coverage on the NFL Network. Then players didn't get paid after that first weekend.

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    To be a true footballing nation you have to have clubs that can't afford to make payroll.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way MLS is set up, we could vault past those other countries by having an entire league not making payroll since they pay for all but the DP-excess salaries :D