WWC19 USA v THE NETHERLANDS, FINAL, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jul 3, 2019.

?

Who will win WWC19' final?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2019.
  1. United States

54 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. The Netherlands

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're just being realistic. The other side was the slightly weaker side and well The Netherlands have been playing their same 11 since early June and are pretty spent. I hate to say it but its for ours to lose in this next match. We are better than this current roster as is. It's sad when I see the starting time of this match. It's like super early in California!!..............

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What have these people been watching?

We have not had a walk in the knockouts at all. France outpossessed us 60-40. Hung on at the end. Won 2-1 vs England on a missed PK, a disallowed goal (correctly but narrowly), and a near OG from Sauerbrunn.

We gave up the goal vs France, the PK v England, and the disallowed goal were all vs our 5 in the back. It has been shaky.

This game is dead even for me.

jackiesdad repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this match proceeds the same way as the 2015 final and we hit them so hard in the first 20 minutes that we're up by multiple goals. That's better for my nerves. HOWEVER, I also think if the Netherlands have done their homework at all, then they've seen that the US has scored in every WWC game so far in the first 12 minutes. So they might pack it in at first and slowly start loosening up their offense after they weather the first onslaught. If that's the case, I hope we are patient and keep the ball and work the attack.

And above all, I hope the team doesn't enter the match overconfident. Confident, yes. Relentless, yes. But also knowing that any top team can beat them on any given day, so its time to put their heads down and finish the job they came here to do.

jnielsen, Bob Lamm, TrueCrew and 3 others repped this.
  4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can I ask this question, did the USWNT deserve this final? In that do I mean, did they honestly defeat the best to get this final?

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also in the votes, I noticed a big trend in that USA will defeat NED. I'm curious as to why you think they will beat them? Is it okay to ask this without offending anyone?

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, we beat the teams in front of us, including two of the three other semifinalists; and we will face the third in the final.

Now, it is true we managed to duck Maldives, East Timor, and the Faroe Islands...

JimWharton, kennytt and Semblance17 repped this.
  7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Is there any player among the Netherlands' starters that you would trade any of the US starters at the same position for even up?

kennytt repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, you was quick as ever in creating the thread, after knowing the name of the other finalist. I can imagine you with your finger on the "Post new thread" button, while you wait for the referee to whistle the end of Sweden-Netherlands. :giggle:

Asllani's injury and consequent added time probably interfered with your plan! :p

Semblance17 repped this.
  9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope she's okay, it looked really bad.

blissett repped this.
  10. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there you have it Ladies and Gentlemen, McSkillz has gone all Hollywood on us. Really think she’ll remember lil ol’ us the her acceptance speech for becoming an Internet Sensation ??:D
    Ah man, the Faroe Islands got screwed in this Tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McSkillz and Semblance17 repped this.
  11. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We honestly defeated the #13, #4, and #3 teams in the knockout rounds (two of which were favorites to win the whole thing), all in regulation time even. Were they the prettiest games ever? No, but there was some definitely beautiful play, and the team did what they needed to do to win. Honestly I don't think the USWNT has even played their best game yet.

Now fans of other teams might argue that the team didn't dominate every stat category or play beautiful soccer or just was lucky. But we didn't need to dominate every category, and we still did enough to win. Plus, every winner in every tournament ever has needed a bit of luck to get to the end. At the end of the day, in a tournament setting where its win-or-go-home, the result is literally what matters. And the US is one of the last two standing.

2in10, BlueCrimson, Dundalk24 and 3 others repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if Lavelle and Rapinoe will really be ready to go or not, despite what they said. Actually, I think this might not be the best game tactically for Lavelle regardless, even though it would be a shame to sit her after her phenomenal play in the last game. If Lavelle sits, then obviously its Mewis and Horan with Ertz. If Lavelle plays, then I'm guessing Horan is the sub.

If Rapinoe is not ready, I'd love to see Press get the start again. I'd also love to see Pugh running at that Netherlands backline, but I don't think it'll happen. If we're up and using subs to defend the lead, then I can see Lloyd coming in as a sentimental sub to play in her possibly last WWC final ever. If we're down, I can also see Lloyd coming in as a sub to be that clutch player. I just can't see Pugh coming in as a sub unless we're down and Lloyd has already been subbed in and we need another offensive sub.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if it was one week before the WC, I would of preferred the Dutch 3 front liners, van de Sanden, Miedema & Martens over Heath, Morgan & Pinoe. But since then, the Dutch coach has run those players ragged, and now Martens got a broken toe, van de Sanden looked exhausted last couple of games with all the running she's done. This Dutch team doesn't go very deep(only 2 subs used in 120 min. vs Sweden) and their mids & defenders aren't up to par with the US.

15. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    #40 Caversham, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    We beat Sweden, a team we always struggle with and a top 10 team (arguably top 5 given their performance in the Olympics and this tournament). We beat Spain one of the best 2nd/3rd place finishers in the round of 16; and a top 15 team and likely future top 10 team. We beat France, the co-favorites and 2nd best team in the world, on their own soil. We beat England, the 3rd best team in the world. We beat teams of varying play styles (ie defensive, technical, physical, possession). We did all of the above with a days less rest between every game.

Yea, we deserve to be the in the final.

CoachJon, 2in10, russ and 6 others repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I'm a little less concerned about Rapinoe now. I just heard that in the post-game, Ellis said they were also holding Rapinoe in case the game went to ET and KFTPM. They would have put her in then to take one of the PK's. That sounds a bit crazy to me, if you have a player who is injured, but maybe the injury really is quite slight and if its do-or-die, I guess you do have to put all your cards on the table.

jackdoggy and edcrocker repped this.
  17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Miedema and Spietse.
    Now, who do I give up?

18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the players and coaches won't be thinking like this, and neither will I.
    Gotta take every opponent seriously.

jnielsen, Semblance17 and McSkillz repped this.
  19. Maybe she's thinking she's playing poker with a full house hidden in her sleeves.

20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we beat the #9 in group play and play the #8 in the final.
    I need to mention here that all those matches were against UEFA teams.
    So, it's been UEFA vs the USA, this WWC.

21. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but I've had that infamous "I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN" chant playing perpetually in my head for the whole tournament. :)

As I've said before: I think it's as simple as the fact that most people posting in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' believe that the USA's best is better than any other team's best, and that all the team has to do to win is bring their absolute best (I know; easier said than done). I agree with the comment above that we haven't actually realized that absolute best yet in this tournament. If you were waiting to peak at the right moment, ladies, now is the time.

jackdoggy repped this.
  22. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It definitely makes sense from that standpoint and why Ellis did it now. But I also think Ellis could simply have said, “we have an incredibly deep roster. Press has over 100 caps for us and we are very confident in her abilities to start this match.” It’s like she had to come up with an excuse not to start Rapinoe... sure she’s been scoring goals, but anyone with a decent soccer IQ knows Press is a way better two way player and Rapinoe overall hasn’t had an overly impressive tournament.

That said, and even though I still would like to throw in some new wrinkles starter wise, I absolutely can’t be upset for Rapinoe to start. The 4 goals in 2 games have earned her that (as long as that hamstring will hold up).

23. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I will answer emphatically yes we deserve to be in the finals. For reasons others have already stated

For the sake of discussion let’s reverse the question. Do the Netherlands deserve to be here?

Hanging on 2–1 over Japan
    Beating an Italy team 2-0. Anyone think Italy is better than France?
    1-0 win over a good Sweden side in extra time. Sweden better than England?

People love to criticize our supposed lack of domination in the knockout rounds, but how dominating have the Netherlands looked?

orcrist repped this.
  24. ?? Who claims you're not deserving it? Dutch?

25. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Merely answering the discussion topic from post 29 in this thread.