WWC19 USA v FRANCE Quarterfinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with anything, but I've been playing since I was about 5 or so. Longer than most of the USWNT has been alive. Given we're approximately the same age (almost exactly, in fact), I trust you've been playing that long, too?

I thought you were leaving per this:
    Were you lying?

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I would love to put your Grateful Dead resume up to mine, or your summer stock theater resume, or your adobero resume, or your two-stepping resume, or any other completely irrelevant resume... :giggle:

And I wonder if you can understand why characterizing Rapinoe as a "lady" is mildly offensive? I imagine your daughter will in a few years...:whistling:

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Careful Timon--with that handle he might turn out to be Kyle Rote Jr...:giggle:

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Kyle Rote Jr. is only 41?

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hoy seem to have some way to figure his age-- whatever it is, I don't see it...

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kyle Rote Jr. was born December 25, 1950. That makes him about 68. I can remember seeing him play in Dallas when I was back there visiting and that was over 40 years ago, closer to 45 I think.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Rote_Jr.
    I am not really sure why his age matters but it is pretty well documented.

8. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    C.Ronaldo does a similar "look at me " celebration every time he scores.

JimWharton repped this.
  9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I know that-- I was talking about Timon's "41"-- I didn't see where he got that...

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    What? The poster's profile page has a D.O.B.

I know mine. He's about three weeks older than me.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first ;):oops:
    Thank you, sir, for getting the parity correct.
    I deny it. I deny you.
    Sometimes he does a "this is my house" gesture at the ground instead. But yes, this is part of his genius, and he needs that edge to be him. A meek Ronaldo probably would have meekly flamed out as a youth, and become a nameless factory worker somewhere. (Mathematically, hundreds of them probably do every year.)

sitruc, blissett and orcrist repped this.
  12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well it says he's 41 now; no DOB though.

Either it didn't say that earlier or I didn't see it when I was specifically looking for it...

13. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Begging the colonel's pardon, but I seem to recall Chastain kick a World Cup-winning penalty kick, then remove her jersey and flex her muscles wearing only a sports bra on top. Since I expected her to do that were she to score the winning goal, I was not surprised, but my lack of surprise does not detract from the memorability of the display.

I'm not a Rapinoe fan off the field, but on the field she plays hard and well. It seems to me her celebration of either goal on Friday did not match Chastain's for exuberance or arrogance or flamboyance or whatever similar word one might choose to use.

McSkillz, blissett and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I mean, there's a birthday right there on his profile, basically screaming at me.

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Doesn't show for me, Just says "41."

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I see the whole birthdate myself, and the age follows.

Timon19 repped this.
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if we're talking about age and how long posters have played soccer as demonstrating futbol wisdom, I'm thinking that I must really know what I'm talking about in comparison to almost all other posters and maybe all. But, the premise that either demonstrates futbol wisdom is doubtful, to put it mildly.

orcrist and blissett repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Summer of 1967 I was sixteen, and went to my boarding school's summer hockey camp. The other guys there were mostly older and drunks or trying hard to become drunks, or else hanging around the streets of town pestering girls.

I wasn't particularly interested in either activity, and the school's hockey coach and soccer coach played on a semipro soccer team sponsored by a local resort; and I started going to their games and practices for something to do in the off-time. The rest of that team were kids from Hong Kong, Singapore, Cambodia, and Thailand enrolled at US colleges, who were employed as waitstaff at the resort. Back home they were sxhlubs, but in the US they were the next thing to Pele-- but they couldn't all be spared from shifts at game time, and the team had trouble making the minimum roster a lot, and usually by a single player. So the coaches decided to roster me since I was there all the time anyway, and could run forever-- not fast, just long. I even played a few minutes in a couple of games.

So I've been a semipro level soccer player for 52 years, I must know all about it by now.

blissett repped this.
  19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have you beaten by a couple of years because I graduated HS in 66. However it was at 16, just before that, when I knew "everything" now I have regressed to where I know very little but I have learned a lot.

blissett repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "[​IMG]

blissett repped this.
  21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured FoF was an oldie, and maybe TJ. We're all same generation, but I've got some years on both of you -- started my youth futbol in 1958.

blissett and jnielsen repped this.
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    That was first grade PE class for me-- we did a different sport every week, and played soccer sometime in April.

But we had to use dodge balls, there weren't any soccer balls in the state school system... or maybe they were those playground balls, the ones used for four square, the springy red rubber balls...

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you remember those old leather balls and how much fun it was to head them in the rain?:eek:

24. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Not as bad as heading the early non-leather balls at any time . . .

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No rain in Boise in the 50's. I gather irrigation upwind has changed the climate there now. By the time I was in precipitation it was with modernish soccer balls.

I remember catching late 40's style leather footballs in the rain-- the kind with the rubber inflation tube that you tucked under the laces, The ball would get all soaked and heavy and wet and when you caught it the spin would cause sheets of water to come off it into your face...