WWC TV Coverage

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by EdsonArantes, Apr 22, 2007.

1. EdsonArantes

EdsonArantes Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Barra Brava
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but does anyone have any information on the WWC TV Coverage in the U.S.?

2. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    ESPN has the English speaking rights, and Univision has the Spanish as part of the contracts they signed with FIFA covering all FIFA events from 2007-2014. The guy at ESPN said that they were going to grow the Women's World Cup as a TV property. I do not know if they plan to cover all the matches as they did in 1999, or show a partial schedule as in 2003 (although that contract was part of the one SUM made with FIFA, and used it to get six more years of MLS on ESPN). I also am unable to say whether the Univision games will actually be shown on Univision (which I get) or Galavision or Telefutura (which I do not). So the contracts are there, it's just a matter of how comprehensive the coverage will be.

3. EdsonArantes

EdsonArantes Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Barra Brava
  4. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Just saw a short WWC preview on the USA-China halftime show. They indicated that all games will be shown live on ESPN or ESPN2.

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    So I think that means we will get to watch the matches out here on the west coast "live" at 2 AM & 5 AM (PT). :eek:

2007 WWC Schedule

6. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    It's going to be reminicent of the 2002 mens WC. The real challenge is going to be the number of simultaneous games, as there are only two stand-alone games during the group phase. I would like to be able to watch as many matches as possible without knowing the score of the other game going on at the same time, so I can watch it later without knowing the outcome. This will be nearly impossible the way this tournament is set up. The WWC has the same format as the mens Euro 2008 (plus a third-place game). The play no more than two matches on any given day and the tournament is only two days longer. Why FIFA can't use this more TV friendly schedule for the WWC puzzles me.

7. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump!

This is US related.

If I do not have cable, the only way I can watch foxsports is with their app?

I know I can sign up to one of the sling packages, but all I want is the Fox sports channels.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The app or foxsports.com. Actually, the USWNT's 1st game is on the main FOX channel, which is usually a free, over-the-air channel (meaning available with antenna). Or, you could see if you could sign up for one of the free trials through a service that has it.

10. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Here in Uruguay, TV rights are owned by DirecTV, which has some 200k subscribers. Nobody else can watch it, including me (I have cable TV).

blissett repped this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it the same for the men's WC?

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VPN is your friend.

13. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    No. Half of the men's World Cup matches were on free-to-air, or at least in Montevideo.

ceezmad repped this.
  14. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You could probably watch every game on the FIFA plus site with a vpn if you can't already. In the Netherlands they're only broadcasting one game per match day on tv, the rest you can watch on the fifa site.

Sweden v Italy is on tv and can't watch it on fifa it seems so if you choose Netherlands as location you couldn't watch 100% of the matches on fifa...