[WQC]Saudi vs Uzbikstan [R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Saudi Bill, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Saudi Bill

Saudi Bill New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    First half ended 0:0.
    Very cold place.

2. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Who's controlling and dictating th game?

3. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    HT 0-0

Strong Saudi midfield. Manaf had a few chances. A Saudi goal was dissallowed for offside.

Not looking like the thrashing that Mani promised us.

Now let's not slip up.

4. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Uzbeks should be ahead 3-0 by now :)

5. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    lol@ Mani

15 minutes into the second half. Uzbeks quick out of the traps. Having the better of this half so far, unlike the first half.

Going to lunch now. Hope to see a positive result when I come back

6. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Is he shooting his machine gun in the air?

7. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    100% offside goal!
    What a biased referee :mad:

8. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Isn't this game being played in uzbekistan?

9. Saudi Bill

Saudi Bill New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Cant we score in peace?

Even if it was offside, mistakes happen. No need to attack the ref.

10. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Saudis are grassrolling now!

11. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I wonder why such "mistakes" only happen against the teams playing Saudi Arabia!

12. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!
    '90 (Uzbeks 1 - Saudis 1)

13. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    lol, Uzbek equalise in the 46th minute, just like Japan did :)

14. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It's over!
    1-1
    Uzbkes should had won 3-1 or 4-1 but Saudis yet again got away with a tie thanks to a 100% offside goal.

15. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    lol @ Mani

Saudi team faded in the second half, but the overall result is fair. Saudi was better in the first half. Uzbek appeared to have bossed the second. And I forget to mention that our disallowed goal in the first half was ONSIDE, but I'm not complaining because these decisions happen and we got a decent result.

16. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004

17. Saudi Bill

Saudi Bill New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
  18. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Picture is worth thousand words. I agree. It appears to be "ON." Good result for Saudis against improving Uzbek side.

19. Murat.Marshal

Murat.Marshal New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    That was definately offside. Where is the referre from? He should get some kind of warning :rolleyes:

20. Murat.Marshal

Murat.Marshal New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    I just checked the FIFA page. the referee was Toru KAMIKAWA who is Japanese. I can't imagine any kind of bias. The only explanation is human error. However, that was a horrific call. FIFA should evaluate whether he is competent to referee.

21. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    With all due respect, it's probably you who needs an evaluation: on wether you understand the offside rule. al-JAber was level with the last defender when the pass was made, hence he was onside. Case closed, end of conspiracy.

22. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Cant fifa put in a system to review questionable offside calls that can determine the outcome of the game? In the NFL they have a system where the coach is awarded two challenges that can be reviewed by the ref. Ok so that is not realistic but we can put this replay rule for these situations. It happned to Iran in the past so Saudi is not alone. The difference for Saudi is two points which could make or break their run to the WC.

23. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    I had a stupid meeting that ran long, but I made it for the last 30 minutes or so of the match. Frustrating result for Uzbekistan, but it was very nearly a disaster. The crowd was pretty pleased at the end, but that's largely because the cheers hadn't died down from the equalizing goal. In reality it has to be a bit of a disappointment for the Uzbeks.

The crowd, of course, was not happy with the Saudi goal. Lots of things thrown towards the field, though the field itself was so far from the stands nothing actually got that far! They could have quite an intimidating home field advantage if the field at Pakhtakor Stadium weren't so far from the stands. Anyway, it was 90 cents well spent!

24. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    I don't think allowing coaches to contest ref decisions will solve anything. It will quickly turn to gamesmanship, coaches will use it to put pressure on the ref.

What they could do is video replay. When there is a tight call, the attacking team is given the benefit of the doubt, and play continues until the attack ends (eg a goal or corner or foul), then a the video ref can make a judgement. But then you have the problem of when does an "attack" end? What if, for example the ball stays in play for a long time after the incident? Do you stop play?

Fundementally, the problem is in the rule itself. The offside rule is great as an idea, but it is difficult to implement practically. The problem lies in the fact that the judgement is based on the position of the receiving player when the pass is made. Now what this means, is that the linesman has to monitor 2 things simultaniously: the play, and the line of the last defender. This can be done easily, if both are in the line of vision, but if you have to keep looking back and forth (which is most of the time) you have a problem, Particularly nowadays when the pace of the game is so fast.

We gonna have to accept that mistakes are going to happen.