Worst run FO in the league?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by local136RiverRat, Mar 6, 2013.

1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dropped my wife and newborn at home after being discharged from hospital and made it down in time. what a great day. we were so naïve.

I bought my son a union banner with the pic on it.

Phillyspur repped this.
  3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    buzzkiller23 repped this.
  4. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ry-philadelphia-union-20171101.html?amphtml=y

And no improvement in results (in fact missing the playoffs this season).

Coming back implies arriving at some place better. Where exactly did we end up? Did we really "come back?"

At least he's being honest that their plan is to win the MLS Cup, but it's not all that realistic. Really makes me want to spend that money on tickets, right?

Always in "position" to get those results, but never really getting them. In fact, more than not this season, we seemed to drop more points from those positions. How is this even remotely considered a positive?

More of the same - enjoy your cheap team because it's all that we got.

In context he is talking about the club's existence being "young." But we're not as young as Earnie wants us to believe, and a lot of us have been around long enough to see through this spin. Especially when we see teams that are just as young, or younger, doing far more than what we have been able to do.

Sorry, Earnie, but you have earned your way onto the list of those who need to go, as well. Clean sweep from Coach, to Sporting Director, to Owner. That's what this team needs.

stammer, buzzkiller23, cwelch999 and 3 others repped this.
  5. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    925869524234014720 is not a valid tweet id

*cringe*

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All that does is make me miss Eredisheep

Starpork and celt1997 repped this.
  7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cough @Amscray cough

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    makes it feel like they died. horrible.

Dills repped this.
  9. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2259 Ascalz, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Well..yeah when you are the longest tenured head coach of an organization you're probably going to set the high water mark for "most wins" in your career. Also, just what in the ******** are you pleased about with Curtin? How many points as thise team dropped? A former defensive player utterly FAILED to improve this team leaking late goals.

So let me get this straight, just because there wasn't a "substantial" transfer fee you didn't bother to sell Alberg? I'm legit curious to know what the fee might have been. Furthermore, what did holding onto Alberg and letting him walk for free do for you? Even if they gave FAR less than what you valued Alberg for that is far better than getting NOTHING for him when he walks as a free agent.

I wanted to highlight this because Victor Valdes could play "without fear" because of the QUALITY team in front of him. When you're thinking the players around you are complete shit, you're more likely to play conservatively. Valdes can play the ball out of the back because he has guys like Pique and Mascherano in front of him. He's reasonably sure that if he does make a mistake one of those guys will probably bail him out. Not to mention that being down a goal doesn't hurt that much when you have guys like Messi, Suarez, and Neymar in your attack. You KNOW that their quality will probably get you at least a goal.

When you have guys with a pedigree around you, it makes you play harder and smarter. When you have shit..well...you get the point.

buzzkiller23, cwelch999 and thomas19064 repped this.
  10. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's also making light of them leaving which lacks taste (no matter how happy I am that some of them are gone). Why not your cookie cutter "we thank you for your time and commitment to the club"

Amscray, buzzkiller23 and BuddhaWake repped this.
  11. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    That too but figured death was worse than disrespect (unless you're a samurai).

CITY&UNION repped this.
  12. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi @Dills. Haven't been around in a while, do we still suck at soccer?

Dills repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wizard-of-oz-quotes-hearts-desire-logo.jpg

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Actually involves developing talent, so probably not.

16. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I should keep this to myself because it is only hearsay and will never amount to anything. I also may have misunderstood (but, I really didn't). I had a meeting with three people who are far above my pay grade. We were meeting on a project we are bidding on. They also had a more important meeting with a German person named Hopp. Well, their meeting with Hopp was cancelled because he is talking with Sugarman - someone they do not know. But, boy were they pissed that Hopp was following some sports dream rather than the deal they had come to discuss. I just grinned from ear to ear as I heard this play out. Like I said, it is just a rumor and will never amount to anything. I am just posting so that if it does come to fruition, I can claim I was the first to post about it. That and $2.50 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Phillyspur, Dills, lopezzzz and 4 others repped this.
  17. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A one Dietmar Hopp, of Hoffenheim?

OwlSaver and jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Dietmar Hopp, the leading financial backer for Hoffenheim?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietmar_Hopp

Edit: That's awfully interesting whatever the meeting may have entailed. at 7-10 billion net worth, he's richer than Arthur Blank, Mark Cuba, Jerry Jones, and Sugarman can't hold a candle to his wealth.

Phillyspur and jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union have had some dealings with Hoffenheim in the past as well......Pfeffer youth team loan, and the Kei Herdling loan.

Kei Herdling......still cannot fathom how Hackworth couldn't find a role for a Bundeliga caliber player......same goes for Kleberson too.....

CITY&UNION and lopezzzz repped this.
  20. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know a lot about Hoffenheim, but my general understanding is that their MO in the Bundesliga is what the Union aspire to be in MLS (youth development, excellent scouting, buy low, sell high, repeat ad infinitum). The differences are that Hoffenheim has a bigger budget to work with at baseline and that they have actually been successful in their efforts.

Ideally he is looking to invest in the Union or even buy out Sugarman, but this I suspect this meeting was more mundane, like a meeting of kindred spirits or discussing a "strategic partnership" (like trying negotiate a bulk discount for all of the academy products we are supposedly about to start cranking out since I'm sure everyone in the Bundesliga would love to sign the next Pulisic or McKinney).

Hell, maybe they were just scheduling a summer friendly.

21. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sugarman is on the expansion board, he's not selling the team...yet.

22. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m gonna get my hopes up so I can pressurize my discontent even more when it isn’t anything of note.

23. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I immediately jumped to the conclusion of a buyout. A friendly is more mundane and more likely. Darn.

24. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    OTOH, you'd have to be an absolute idiot to blow off a business meeting to talk shop and arrange a 2,000 fan friendly with Jay Sugarman. Besides, wouldn't he send a lackey to meet with Earnie for that?

ScottyMac26 repped this.
  25. Whosaidwhat11

Whosaidwhat11 Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why’d you have to get our hopes up like this? There’s no way, it’ll be sugarman till we get moved to Oakland in 10 years and that’s that.