WORST MLS player ever...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by repin1836, Apr 5, 2016.

1. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    I always see arguments of the best MLS soccer player, but I don't think I've ever seen one for the worst MLS player. Opinions?

Maybe the worst player with appearances and one with out too many appearances?

My two are Marvell Wynn and Ade Akinbiyi. Wynn is a great athlete but I've always felt his positional sense might have been the worst I've ever seen (Like Chad Barrett's finishing skills before the 80th minute). And for Akinbiyi, I'm amazed he got an MLS contract.

Mods, feel free to delete if this is too negative or if it exist / should belong somewhere else.

Revolt repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giles Grimandi or Daniel Amokachi.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Tony Caig, backup goalkeeper.

Dynamo fans will know why. He had several spectacular non-saves in his seven appearances in 2008 and was notable for his dramatic "watch-the-ball-sail-past-me" pose but his all-time lowlight was chesting a ball into his own net. A shot he was legally entitled to handle but why not be dramatic? The fact that he was directly in the path of the shot and it would probably have bounced off him harmlessly makes his maneuver to actually direct the ball into the goal all the more "memorable".

flippin269, El Naranja and repin1836 repped this.
  5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread isn't complete without mentioning the various alleged Brazilians who have played for the Galaxy over the years. Alvaro Pires, anyone? Naldo?

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to nominate Tony Frias III, who played for the Revolution from 2001 to 2003, and never logged a minute in an official match, not even in the US Open Cup. He did play in a scrimmage vs. a USL team from New Hampshire and witnesses described him as being "out of his element" even against a 3rd division team.

The Kool-Aid Drinkers on the Revs board would argue that there was no harm in having a practice player on the team for 3 seasons, even if he couldn't cut it at that level, and never looked like he could. Apparently, his father was a building contractor and was supplying a lot of the cement for Gillette Stadium.

By contrast, Red Sox owner Haywood Sullivan's son, Marc was on the Sox roster for a year, but didn't play much. The difference was that he was a decent AAA player and also went on to play (sporadically) with a couple of other MLB teams, so he was at least a legit border line player. Frias was nothing of the sort.

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Abdul Thompson Conteh.

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Darren Sawatzky ... or is that worst hair? ... I can't remember

Chad Ashton needs to be on the short list for sure. And Lothar

9. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thor Lee.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, he wasn't even the worst player for DC United in that inaugural game. Having just watched the stream tonight, I thought Said Fazlagic was worse. (Not that any player on either team other than Wynalda covered himself in glory in that game.)

I think a dishonorable mention should go to Carlos Johnson, who managed 3 red cards in just 899 minutes in his lone MLS season in 2009, including red cards in both of his first two MLS starts, a record unequalled in the league's history. His second red card, in the 2nd minute of the game, also stood as the earliest in a MLS game until Joe Nasco was sent off 34 seconds into a game in 2014.

whiteonrice04 and JasonMa repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah Joe Nasco, also a candidate for worst MLS facial hair ever.

Colorado Rapids' Joe Nasco earns the fastest red card in MLS history with first minute ejection vs. LA Galaxy

Have the Colorado Rapids unearthed yet another goalkeeping prospect in Joe Nasco?

Prospect?? The dude was 30!

Colorado Rapids' Joe Nasco earns the fastest red card in MLS history with first minute ejection vs. LA Galaxy

How many MLS players only played four games and had two complete disasters?
    5 goals vs RSL
    1st minute red card (the Rapids got destroyed 6-0)

In Nasco's four game, the Rapids conceded 13 goals!
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/joe-nasco

And as a bonus, Joe Nasco was starting over Clint Irwin thanks to the worst MLS coach in at least the last half decade or so, Pablo Mastroeni. And the 2014-2015 Rapids tied the record for longest winless streak. So that's worst player, worst facial hair, worst coach, worst winless streak.....

xtomx, Revolt, Boloni86 and 2 others repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching that 5 goal game against RSL. Joe was atrocious. There were drunks in the stands that could have done better than he did that game.

Beerking and JasonMa repped this.
  13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    mustapha jarju of the vancouver whitecaps of 2011- signed as a significant DP attacking MF to create goals and score- lasted 10 games, no goals and barely broke a sweat in any game- and he left with hundreds of thousands of $$$$$ as a buy-out- now plays in kazakhstan

RafaLarios, Gamecock14 and Ismitje repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kazakhstan is greatest country in the world!
    All other country are run by little girls!

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jarju has to be the worst DP... who would have guessed that a guy from the Belgian second division wouldn't be worth DP money??

Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    who would have thunk that so-called soccer intelligent coaches and administrators would ever EVER think that a second division belgium player was worthy of a DP salary- boggles the brain!! of course, some of those same people in whitecap land went for such disasters as the flailing eric hassli, the mouthy barry robson, the underperforming kenny miller, the poor striker in octavio rivero who hasnt scored a run-of-game goal for dozens of games and the frail pedro morales who can only score from set pieces and PKs

they seem to have got it right with DMF mattias laba- you and i could have done a much better job

17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Chris Carrieri. He was hideous.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver finished second in the ridiculously competitive western conference last season, so I wouldn't go that far... also I like Octavio Rivero, I think he was the type of DP signing MLS needs to be making.

Boloni86 repped this.
  19. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Kenobi and Boloni86 repped this.
  20. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Nik Besagno. Drafted #1 overall by John "The Genius" Ellinger.

the cup and JasonMa repped this.
  21. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    He made 13 saves and conceded 7 goals in 4 games btw.

Wow this guy is awful never knew about him. He gets my vote.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ciaran O'Brian. 19 minute MLS career, 1 red card.

cthomer5000, Gamecock14 and Elninho repped this.
  23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Police brutality!

But really, Nasco had a long way to go to even reach the title of worst goalkeeper in MLS history. None of his gaffes were quite as bad as Caig or Spiteri.

I usually prefer to give players a little more time before passing judgment, because one red card could just be really bad luck. Which is why I picked Johnson as the most red-card-prone player. When you play just under 900 minutes and you're still singlehandedly getting red cards faster than most teams...

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching Marvell warm up before a game his first year in the league. He looked so uncomfortable with the ball that I was sure there was no way he would last in MLS. That was over 260 appearances ago so that shows what I know about what it takes to be a durable, consistent professional in MLS. So, now I can only think in terms of respect for Marvell and the things he does well rather than what he does not.

25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    He's up there ...

Also Nery Castillo, Frank Rost, Mista, Denilson, Kleberson, Jeferson, Geovanni, Rafael, Federico Puppo