Worst film ever?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Timanfaya, Oct 26, 2013.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    JeremyEritrea and Salvadanish repped this.
  3. Salvadanish

Salvadanish Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    So is this basically Tim Roth's "Gigli"?

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anybody else think of the Monty Burns film when they saw the trailer?

5. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #31 Metropolitan, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Well, his movie is indeed a disaster considering its critical reception among English speaking countries. That's just a fact. However, if you would read the article, he actually defends his work.

I've actually watched the movie because the hatred in England and the US made me curious about it. And as a matter of fact, it was a very interesting movie, funded by FIFA, but not necessarily more "propaganda" than Hollywood craps such as "Pearl Harbor".

There are actually three movies in one. There is first the story of Cornelis August Wilhelm Hirschman, someone I didn't know before, which appears to be the true founder of FIFA. Then there is Jules Rimet's story and his difficulties to set up a world cup. Both parts were the most interesting to me. Then there is the last part of the movie about Rous, Havelange and Blatter, describing the heavy machine FIFA became with all its power struggles. The less interesting part to me.

Contrary to what I've read in the English speaking press, neither Havelange nor Blatter are pictured as heroes though. While it does picture Havelange as being the "modern" against Rous being the "traditionalist", Sam Neill interprets Havelange as some kind of Godfather. Tim Roth interprets Blatter as a moneyman. Both seem obsessed with power, the most interesting scene in that part being the one on a boat where Havelange teaches to his "apprentice" Blatter how to control his people.

I'm not surprized though that English speakers hate that movie, for the simple reason that England isn't shown as the most open to the growth of the sport abroad up untill the 1950's. But that's just a fact, which is perfectly explained by the fear of losing control in their own sport, which will ultimately happen under Havelange.

If you're adult enough to put your national pride aside, and take in consideration this is a movie funded by FIFA, then I would advise you to watch it, just to learn things. But if you believe FIFA is an evil creature that should have never existed on this earth, then you probably won't enjoy it.

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll watch it I catch it zapping through cable...

7. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Where?

(Of course I read the article, what do you take me for?!)

8. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Actually no, I was talking about the original interview from Frédéric Auburtin to Télérama:
    http://www.telerama.fr/cinema/sepp-...-montage-du-film-est-rocambolesque,127979.php

Oh boy, what a poor piece of journalism is that "Guardian" article, totally perverting the sense of what has been said initially by Auburtin in his interview. It's hardly deniable that "United Passions" is propaganda - it's been financed by FIFA itself - but the hatred towards this movie is really getting excessive.

Guys, chill out, the stronger will be the hate campaign against the movie and the more people will be curious about finding out what is so "unconvenient" about it for the Brits.

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that link

"puisqu'aux Etats-Unis, le football est d'abord un sport de filles"

Je suis désolé, mais ce sont des conneries

10. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Well this movie opened in 10 cinemas in the US. With next to zero marketing I'd wager. I would consider myself somewhat of a movie buff but I have never heard about this one until it already crashed and burned. Not that I would think that there is a big market about this kind of movie anyhow. Pretty high profile actors for a vanity project though. I won't watch it tough, not really interested.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray, complete with bonus footage.

12. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Money shot maybe?

J

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  13. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    An American movie about Chuck Blazer. LOL!

I guess they will probably make that crook look like the good guy because he collaborated with the FBI. The ending is already available on YouTube: