World Geography Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, Mar 3, 2006.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I searched in vain all morning for the current U.S. standard (NEA approved) high school lesson plans for World Geography and found several possible candidates as top tier:

National Geographic has several and most are very technical and heavy on the biological sciences.

Proteacher has a few, but they too are heavy into physical sciences.

The U.S. Geological Service (USGS) offers an impressive suite of plans; however, again heavy emphasis upon five scientific disciplines under World Georgraphy: earth science, hydrology, mapping, biology, and anthropology.

Not one of the top tier high school lesson plans, or any of the other World Geology lesson plans I reviewed, mentioned politics in the slightest, not even by second reference. Thus, why haven't the NEA scholars and the World Geology high school teachers in general, authoritatively spoke out and condemned Overland High School (CO) World History teacher Jay Bennish for his deviation from established pedagogical instruction in this sciences curricula for his World History class? I am looking at this issue purely from an academic point of view; where is the outrage when a high school teacher plays fast and loose with lesson plans and ventures legions far from established and authoritative lesson plan goal posts to political propaganda and indoctrination of students due to his own BDS issues?

Anyone notice this?

2. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Hannity interviewed a student from Overland yesterday on his radio show. This student said the class section that Bennish taught was an Advanced
    Geography class but this student had transferred to a regular class this term because the regular class was further progressed than Bennish's "advanced" class. The student reported that Bennish frequently "wandered off topic" during class lecture time.

Is this any different than a biology teacher "wandering off topic" to mention creationism?

I believe you raise a good point.

3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    From his speech:

"I just keep waiting. I mean, at some point in time I think America and Mexico might go to war again, you know? Any time Mexico plays the USA in a soccer match, what can be heard chanting all game long? (student answer — unintelligible) Pretty close. Pretty close. Now, do all Mexicans dislike the United States? No. Do all Americans dislike Mexico? No. But there's a lot of resentment, not just in Mexico, but all across the whole world, towards America right now."

You just know this guy is a regular poster in the BS politics forum!

4. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Got any idea what his screen name is? :)

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why is this national news and my 9th grade civics teacher, a member of the John Birch Society, is unknown outside of my home town, and indeed, probably largely anonymous even there? I mean, he didn't even make it into the paper when the local American Legion chapter asked him to resign his post after he said in a letter to the paper (sent on Legion letterhead) that the Government -- specifically the Clinton administration -- probably had something to do with the OK City bombing, or even if they didn't they had it coming. I mean... he didn't get suspended from teaching or anything. Now, it might've been because he was only a couple years from retirement. But anyway, back to my original question... why is this national news?

My guess is it has something to do with hyper-sensitive blog-addicts and rant-radio fans, but I could be wrong.

6. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I guess it depends on your definition of national news. Both the Washington Post and The New York Times picked up a short story moved by the Associated Press. Outside of Hannity & Colmes, I don't know of anybody else covering it.

I would also see a difference between writing a letter to the editor and getting up in front of a high school class and making those comments, though. Although, interestingly Bennish's lawyer apparently does not, as he is threatening to sue because the teacher's First Amendment rights were violated.

To me, the comments weren't offensive nor inappropriate for a college class. I'm not so sure I'd say the same thing for a high school class, though. While I think high school students certainly have the ability to evaluate and make constructive counter-arguments--well, at least theoretically, I also think the power differential might be such that it would be intimidating to the students.

Finally, the best professors/teachers I've had challenged me to think, yet when I left their classes, I wasn't sure where they personally stood morally or politically, as they challenged assumptions, arguments, assertions from both sides of the political spectrum. It doesn't sound like this was Bennish's teaching MO, though.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's my point about the guy from my home town. The letter that got him removed from his American Legion office didn't get him removed from the classroom. Furthermore, my entire 9th grade civics class came heavily tinged with a John Birch Society perspective, and I suspect that he didn't modify his approach all that much from then until he actually retired. It wasn't good teaching at all.

Nor was it effective indoctrination. Which is why I don't think anyone outside of the school district in Colorado should be worried about it.

8. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Sacramento and SF Bay Area media covered it.

Latest is that Bennish has withdrawn his threat of a suit.

On a side note, Bennish's lawyer is the same guy that was/is defending Ward Churchill, they guy that called the WTC victims "little Eichmans." Any linkage here?

I agree we can be challenging our HS students to do more thinking on their own. Maybe even let them hear opposing arguments to the idea that my great-great-grandfather x about 1 trillion crawled out of a pool of slime and headed for the fridge for a beer. ;)

Yep, my best college profs were the same. And I did have one like Bennish but even then he challenged students to face him down in class if they disagreed. Some did. I never really new for sure if he truly was as far left as he appeared but if he was, he never broke character.

9. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Geography and Geology are different subjects. Geology is about rocks and plate tectonics. Geography is about nations, resources, and how they relate to one another. You are looking for Geography lessons in the wrong place. Try looking for Political Geography lesson plans. Q

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least I'm not the only one that caught that...

:p