World Cup Viewing Party in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'LA Chapter' started by ussoccer_fan, May 10, 2010.

1. ussoccer_fan

ussoccer_fan New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is our location for our Viewing Parties in Los Angeles. We are going to gather at Capitol City in Hollywood.
    1615 N Cahuenga Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA
    US Men vs England at 11:00am June 12, 2010
    US Men vs Slovenia at 7:00am June 18, 2010
    US Men vs Algeria at 7:00am June 23, 2010

2. enthusiast20

enthusiast20 New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Awesome for the US games set up.

I managed to convince the owner of a local bar/lounge to open up and show all the world cup games during the world cup fever from the opening game of Mexico vs. South Africa to all the group stages games, qtr-finals, semis & finals.

Name of the place is Blue Goose Lounge and address is 5201 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90027.

Opening game is South Africa vs. Mexico @ 7am on Friday 6/11. Door is opened 30 mins prior to kick-off.

3. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I think they should have a massive viewing party on the big screen at LA Live. Think South Korean fans in 2002...

4. ussoccer_fan

ussoccer_fan New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have talked to many people and they dont feel like being outside in the heat. They wanna sit and have some cheap drinks. Hope you could come and join us.

5. Line #1

Line #1 Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too sure it's going to be all that hot out at 7 AM.

6. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any of you guys happen to be in Las Vegas that weekend (June 12) a bunch of us are going to watch the game at the ESPN ZONE next to New York New York. Hope you can make it.

T

7. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    What is parking like around Capitol...any suggestions? Any recs on different times of the day/wkds, as I'm sure the parking situations will be different depending on when the game is

8. ussoccer_fan

ussoccer_fan New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parking is around for $5 to $7. Come check out the place next week for our next viewing party Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 4:30pm

9. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll also be there for the Turkey match (May 29th @ 11am).

10. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Anyone making the commute to the party via the MTA Red Line?

*edit*
    From the looks of some reviews about the joint they have a habit of screwing over sports fans who come to watch a game at the sports bar. AO has assurances management won't screw with the channel before/during/after the game?

12. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've made the trip via the red line several times now. I travel from Huntington Park and it's quite convinient.

As for screwing, despite the Lakers game last night overlapping with the US Soccer match, were were still able to watch the Soccer match on three TV's in the back patio. They are also quite commited to the World Cup. There are 21 TV's (that I could see) there. So even if someone wanted to watch something else during the World Cup, it shouldn't be a problem.

Out of curiosity, what did you hear about "screwing over sports fans"?

13. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Reading the reviews of the place on Yelp, folks came for some Olympic stuff and NCAA tournaments, etc. Either way, glad to hear they're on board for the games. Just need to convince the boss I need the 12th off.

*edit*
    My original post of "screwing over" may have come off a bit too harsh, I was reading reviews and having nightmares of the game being switched off at a very important moment. :)

14. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    Myself wasn't a fan of Cap. City .........was there for Czech match... eh.....I go for more of a boisterous crowd and to have that full exp. you need supporters from both sides. So I may try Monteblan theater just two blocks away (free bities and suds!!!!) or Lucky B's in Pasadena or Fox and Hounds or Ye Old in S.Monica or maybe even George Bests very own Underground in Hermosa....... We'll see.

15. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it wasn't the best day to have a viewing party with a Lakers game going on at the same time. But considering the fact that they still let us have three TV's in the back when they had every right to change the channel speaks volumes for the establishment and their willingness to work with Soccer fans.

As for supporters from both sides, not many Czechs in LA. Thanks for coming though. You're more than welcomed at our viewings of the Turkey match and the World Cup.

16. worldwanderer

worldwanderer New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Booze and Chanting, just like a World Cup's Meant to Be

A few friends and me are veterans of four world cup mad dashes across a few continents. None of us could go this year, but we want to still wear the Sam hats and throw the red, white and blue on our backs. And, of course, screamin and singin for the US. This is a participatory event, no knuckles to chin analyzing players like were Bob Bradley. A great pass gets a great rant, a win, well, hell, beer over the skull as if victors ourselves. Come join a real viewing party with cheap booze and great people.

Location: The Down and Out. 5th and Spring, Downtown LA. (Easy metro access from all over LA, an essential for those of us who'll toss back more than a few)

17. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Anyone want to meet up at Union Station and take the Red Line down? We could make a nice ruckas and scare the locals. ;)

18. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'll be transfering from the 760 to the red line at the 7th St/Flower St station. Maybe we can all meet there and ride up to Hollywood.

19. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    That sounds like a plan. I'll be coming in from Pasadena off the Gold line myself. What time should we try and meet?

20. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a great time attending the Turkey watch party at Cap City and have every intention of catching the USA v. England match this Saturday. In all likely hood, I will probably take the RedLine as well from Union Station. See you all at the event!

21. dino1er

dino1er Member

Jun 5, 2009
    east side of la
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    myself, my sis and a couple friends will be taking the gold line from east la then transfering to red line at union station y dont we meet there im down to meet up at anytime.

22. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, let's do this! Ok the party is at 11am, so we'll probably want to get to the Hollywood & Vine station by 10 or 10:30 so we have enough time to walk the 2-3 blocks to Capitol City and get a decent spot. The Red Line has two departures from Union Station: 9:58 and 10:10, arriving at Hollywood/Vine at 10:17 and 10:29 respectively.

I'm game to meet pretty much any time. Where is a good spot at the station to meet?

23. ussoccer_fan

ussoccer_fan New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fu.ck it!! Im going to join you guys Im going to take the subway too. I'll get on at 7th in downtown.

24. anazarn

anazarn Member

May 27, 2008
    El Paso
    Club:
    CF Indios de Ciudad Juárez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ussoccer_fan

ussoccer_fan New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Los Angeles