World cup travel distance by team placeholder?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Cameron Jones, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Just wondering if anyone has run the numbers on the placeholder schedule matrix to determine which "teams" will have the worst travel itinerary? I looked around the forum as best I could but apparently couldn't come up with the search to find it.

2. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    interesting idea :D

someone with enough time could/should do it. also distance table between cities would be fine, we had one for last two world cups, I tried to google one for russia, but found nothing

3. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    this is how those looked like 4 years ago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wixson7 repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be willing to do the addition if somebody told me the distances between cities.

5. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
  6. Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Or there's google :)

A job easily split up - everyone who wants to, take a team or two, and hit google maps. Paste back the result in a standard format (spreadsheet... see below) and we should be able to get it done on a Google sheet

Team City1 Distance12 City2 Distance23 City3 TotalDist

I'll do a few later today if I can.

7. Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    IASocFan repped this.
  8. Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Whew... that was annoying, but it's done. Not a whole lotta help ;) But feel free to share this shortened URL if it will be of help to anyone.

https://goo.gl/rfazL8

IASocFan and jesta repped this.
  9. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    great work, thanks!

someone has to do it every time, and it is highly appreciated!

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hmmm... don't want to kill the momentum of this thread, but don't the travel distances mostly depend on where the NT's home base is?

NickK repped this.
  11. Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    #11 Cameron Jones, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Yeah, for the team that's true, at least partially so. Clearly if the games are spread out more, the distances will be higher, but they are not accurate estimates of the TEAM's travel. But for a fan following the team, it's accurate.

Getting the accurate number for the team would require 6 flights compared to my 2, which, without anyone helping, would not be worth it. Plus, we can't do it now until the seedings are announced of course.

12. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Without looking at the data, I wonder if there's a correlation between success in the tournament vs distance traveled.

Obviously you can't just say well Team X traveled the most but went the furthest in the tournament because maybe they are just good enough to overcome a possible distance factor. It would have to look at each team and what their expected wins should be (maybe based on ranking?) vs what their actual wins were.

In March Madness, it's already been shown that teams that have to travel more than the other team is at a disadvantage. The greater the difference, the greater the disadvantage is. I wonder if it's the same for the World Cup

13. Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    It may be, but if so, the USA would only have itself to blame for choosing St Pete as its home base. Clearly they don't think long flights will hurt their changes, because with that home base, it would be very surprising if they don't have several flights of at least 800 miles. The good news is that that's only about 2.5 hours, and on a charter flight, I'm sure, it shouldn't be too miserable even though you have to do it both directions, probably twice.

14. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is there a website that shows the home bases of teams? I didn't realize they picked that far in advance. The USA still might not even make the WC.

15. Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Not as far as I know, but I do know that USA picked St Pete. And yes.... perhaps getting ahead of ourselves. Thankfully it's doubtful anyone involved in beating Panama is also involved in arranging the base plans, so no jinx :)

16. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia