World Cup Qualifying: Ireland v Germany/Faroe Islands (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I know. Not in recent memory have we gotten a pounding like that by a major power. Used to be known for our grit. Maybe 3-0 or 4-1. Six goals is a travesty.

2. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think goal difference aside. You can still have a shot at 2nd place. You have to beat Sweden and Austria and get points from those series. The others shouldn't be an issue..

As for the game itself... Everthing just clicked for us, everthing was going in that night....

3. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cheer up, lads ... even Germany experienced a similar home disaster in the past (many Germans probably still feel ashamed). Enough consolation? ;)

4. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Trying to cheer Irishmen up by showing them an English victory is not a good idea!

Dhajj and Dyvel repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    That's lost on the Huns. ;)

6. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You'll need a larger sample of huns to prove this. Take me for example. I wrote my final paper at uni on the Irish Revolution. ;)

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ah sorry, I simply forgot that this clip is a rather bad consolation for you. ;) :laugh:

8. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Really?? Which one?? :D

1798 is my favourite

9. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Tonight we start: Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson, Brady, Andrews, McCarthy, McGeady, Walters, Keane.

Quite happy with that, except for O'Dea. A fairly attacking side to be fair... but this will not be an easy match by any means. I saw the Faroes against Sweden and they caused them lots of problems. I was amazed at how well they got the ball down and passed... which can't be said about an Irish team for quite a while.

Sad thing is I'm far from confident that we'll win tonight. Can't see there being more than one goal in it at the end.

10. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I did mention the United Irishmen, as well as the Young Ireland rising in 1848. But my focus was on the first three decades of the 20th century: reasons for the decline of the Home Rule movement, Easter Rising, War of Independence and so on.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Trappatoni breaking with tradition (and perhaps his contract/understanding with FAI) and not doing a press conference in Dublin tomorrow, but flying directly to Milan. Last days of Pompeii, methinks......

12. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's staying! In fairness, I thought we played quite well against the Faroes. It was far more comfortable than most expected, though part of that is because they tired badly after 65 minutes.

James McCarthy was excellent 2nd half.

The FAI have said that Trap is staying on unil the end of the qualifying campaign... will be interesting to see how this works out. We absolutely cannot lose to Sweden on March 22nd. An organized, disciplined away performance... like Bulgaria in WC2010 Qualifying, will be needed.

13. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We'll need more than to not lose to Sweden, we'll in fact need to win if confidence is to be restored.

I feel that the decision to keep Trap is based more on finances than the availability and/or improvement of bringing in Harry Redknapp. What makes me angry is when Trap states to the press that "we are where I expected us to be, Germany is far superior and we're playing for 2nd". Yes I realize that the Germans are superior but as a team manager, captain, or senior player you cannot have this attitude if you're going to be a successful competitor, let alone go out and say it to the media. I fear that morale is going to be very low throughout the remainder of our qualifiers.