World Cup Qualifiers: Italy vs Spain & Israel

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh My Goodness, I can't believe that the World Cup is less than a year from now. 2014 World Cup felt like just yesterday really. So anyway here is Ventura's Squad for these games:

GK: Buffon (Juventus), Donnarumma (Milan), Perin (Genoa)

D: Conti (Milan), D’Ambrosio (Inter), Darmian (Man Utd), Spinazzola (Atalanta), Bonucci (Milan), Chiellini (Juventus), Barzagli (Juventus), Rugani (Juventus), Astori (Fiorentina)

M: De Rossi (Roma), Montolivo (Milan), Verratti (PSG), Parolo (Lazio), Pellegrini (Roma), Candreva (Inter), Insigne (Napoli), El Shaarawy (Roma), Bernardeschi (Juventus)

A: Belotti (Torino), Immobile (Lazio), Eder (Inter), Gabbiadini (Southampton)

I am extremely bummed that Marchisio is out with injury because he would have been so useful against Spain. Oh Well. Both of these games are really must win for us if we want to qualify without a playoff, especially vs Spain.

I suppose Conti and Spinazzola would be best to use for our full backs. Not really sure how to lineup. We could go with Ventura's usual 4-4-2, but I am tempted to go back to a 3-5-2 vs Spain as it always seems to work well.

-Bernardeschi-Belotti-
    -Spinazzola-Pellegrini-De Rossi-Verratti-Conti-
    -Chiellini-Bonucci-Barzagli-
    -Buffon-
    Not really sure if this is the best way or not, but we really need to think hard about this. I can't tell you how much I really want those 3 points vs Spain.

forza_azzurri repped this.
  2. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Win or bust against Spain. I don't think we can rely on Spain to drop points in the final games if we tie them. A playoff would be nerve wracking to say the least. Anything can happen in 2 games.

3. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I know one thing. If I see Montolivo trotted out there vs Spain, I will throw my TV out the window.

Spain has a very active midfield that likes to make penetrating runs off their tiki-taka. We have to be smart and patient against them. We need a 5 man midfield with players of skill and quality to help keep possession when we get it.

I tend to agree that we should adopt a 3-5-2. However, I don't know that I would use fullbacks as both wingers in that formation. I think we need more creativity. Insigne is playing very well again and it would be a shame not to have him out there. You could play him on the wing or think about Candreva on the right (probably not both at the same time).

I'm a big Bernardeschi fan, but he hasn't played much this year and I don't know his game shape. Immobile is playing well and he does offer nice counter-attacking options. That said, if Ventura thinks he's fit, I'd give Federico the edge as a set up man for Belotti.

How about Belotti's goal yesterday? Wow. What a fantastic striker. As a Juve fan, I'm very jealous.

4. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That Bellotti goal was awesome but I think Italy should play a 3 5 2 vs Spain it seems to work in the past. Montolivo I do not get that. . Look for Italy to surprise some people in Madrid Italy tends to to play well when there backs are against the wall and when nobody expects them to win

Insigne4BalonD'or and calabrese8 repped this.
  5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I doubt Ventura starts Bernardeschi over Immobile in a 3 5 2. It doesn't help that Berna hasn't gotten off the bench yet this season. Bad idea going on an Allegri coached team the year of a WC. I wouldn't be surprised if Ventura eventually drops Berna from the national team. Max will probably play him only about 8 times all season.

Yeah, I think Ventura might play Conti and Insigne in a 3 5 2. One fullback and one winger. I wouldn't be surprised though if he opts for Candreva and Darmian instead, since Candreva plays better in that formation than Lorenzo. Regardless, I think the coach starts Belotti and Immobile up top against Spain.

I watched Torino vs Sassuolo on Bein Sports yesterday. Belotti was playing extremely well... especially in the second half where he set up the third goal and worked his butt running around breaking up plays. His goal was pure magic. I think we might finally have a world class center forward on the national squad. I'm hoping that Patrick Cutrone can also reach those heights....

GIGI RIVA repped this.
  6. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That worked out great for us in must win group stage games in 2010 and 2014

7. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We actually have some really good future names in attack. There are a couple of guys who could even end up being world class stars (bellotti, cutrone, maybe Berardi and berna). Defence (although nowhere near what Italy is used to) is still probably the best in the world and has an extremely bright future ahead. Goaltending - Donna. What worries me though is the mid. De Rossi, Verratti, Marchisio are the only guys that really stick out for present. The future has a few guys that can be really good like Pellegrini and locatelli, but who else is up and coming?

8. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Lots of really good young midfielders coming up. That Barella from Cagliari is a stud. I can't believe no one bought him this summer. He's fast, incredibly skilled, and a great passer. I watched him a lot vs Milan and he's a big reason Cagliari dominated good chunks of that game.

9. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am surprised also but staying at Calgliari will be good he will get playing time

10. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Cutrone is a player I am cheering for and I hate Milan

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For midfielders don't forget Benassi, Gagliardini, Mandragora, and Sensi.

Insigne4BalonD'or and Rosay repped this.
  12. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess we'll have to wait and see for those young guys. Seem like they could be good players. Sont know if any of them will be superstars but only time will tell. Still pretty young.

13. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No problem if they don't become superstars, but they will be good depth. Look at the the Euro's, some quality depth in the MF could have gotten us over the hump against Germany. As for Berna, I think he will be a superstar. I think Ventura knows a star when he see's one, thats why I am confident he will call up guys who may be lacking in experience, but are not lacking in talent (ie. Berna, Pellegrini)

Rosay repped this.
  14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah thats true. To be honest Benassi looks really promising in my opinion and I think he has a bright future. Not so sure about the rest, but we will see.

romanista8910 repped this.
  15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He I agree with Bernardeschi, he is really a player to look out for. He has so much in him.

LOL against Germany this was our lineup:

-Eder-Pelle-
    -De Sciglio-Giacherinni-Sturaro-Parolo-Florenzi-
    -Chiellini-Bonnucci-Barzagli-
    -Buffon-
    Look at Giacherinni, Sturaro, and Parolo on paper. They are really mediocre at best, however Conte did so well to get the best out of all those players as a team, which impressively made us able to match Germany for the whole 120 min. Worst midfield on paper I have ever seen our team play with honestly.

16. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Imagine if De Rossi and Candreva weren't injured for that game.

Rosay, UdineseFan98 and totti fan repped this.
  17. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  18. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too much old age on this squad, i hope we don't get smoked.

19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thiago Motta holding down the central midfield position at PSG. Scored in the last game as well. The 100m euro man on the other hand: struggling.

20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah we possibly could have went through if they were still healthy. In fact even if Motta wasn't suspended we might have been able to win.

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Montolivo is the only player that concerns me. DDR is older but he has still proven to be a serious player and offers so much defensively still. Barzagli is ok as long as he is a CB and we have other full backs like Conti and Darmian covering the flanks. One thing I do think would be better is if we played Insigne instead of Immobile. Both are having great seasons, but I feel that Insigne has more to his game, and actually links up play between midfield and attack better than Immobile. Immobile is more of a number 9 striker.

23. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    As great as Insigne has been the last 18 months or so, he's really only proven himself on the left side of a 4 3 3. In my comment a few days ago, I mentioned that he probably wouldn't get selected in a 3 5 2, and that appears to be the case. He's a bit inflexible tactically.

24. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Verratti playing treq means @Falc will be in attendance taking notes.

Insigne4BalonD'or and Rosay repped this.
  25. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Took you long enough. I mat cut the kid some slac as it looks like he may start with Mt. Olive behind him.

Calcio Pauly repped this.