World Cup Officiating (All-time)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1 Unak78, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    This is from a conversation that started in the Group G forum as a response to the OP's analysis of one of the team's benefiting from calls that other teams did not. My response was to point out that this is not exclusive and teams benefiting from poor officiating is endemic in the World Cup and there are far more conspicuous examples throughout the competition going back years.

I like this post bc it really gets after what I think is true about the nature of officiating and why bad calls tend to follow certain patterns and circumstances across all sports.

Personally, as I said earlier, bad calls are an endemic part of sports. Good teams tend to get the benefit of the doubt and home teams tend to intimidate the refs. And some teams get calls made against them due to a certain reputation they might have or relationship with the officials, the competition itself or their style of play. For the most part fans and media ignore the calls that the good teams get in the long run bc we assume that they would have won anyway. Fans ultimately learn to get over the calls that the home teams get bc we expected it to happen. And the latter tends to get ignored bc fans might have the same biases that the officials have. It affects how we evaluate the performances of some teams that benefit from this but not others. I believe that it's a function of human nature. What separates FIFA from the other major sports is their stubborn unwillingness to look to modern technology to assist in the areas where technology can. Nor will they even adjust things like the number of officials without a massive procrastination.

And here's perhaps one of the worst calls of all-time...

Football is a tough sport to officiate, but FIFA almost seems to perversely enjoy the "human element" and thinks that the mistakes themselves are a part of football. Now there's only so much that can be done, but FIFA isn't even interested in going those two steps to make it at least a bit better.

Now this isn't something that can be taken from a single perspective. Many teams have benefited from this and most teams have been victimized by it at some point in their respective histories. The real question is why? And is this the best example to set for some of the league that need guidance in regulating their own officiating scandals in countries ranging from China to Nigeria? FIFA refuses to set any standards and they'll say that it's cost. If all countries cannot purchase the technology then none should, but the cost is not prohibitive. FIFA can also assist in these costs for the betterment of the game. And idk what anyone might think, the money is there in alot of those nations that one might not believe can afford it. It's there, whether it's being used correctly or not. Threaten their sanctioning and they'll find it.