World Cup MYTH-BUSTERS!!!!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by gethomas3, Feb 9, 2008.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the 2006 final also took place in the middle of the night in East Asia, which can't have helped.

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's 2/3s of the world's population, give or take...

3. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Great points by the way. Does anyone know any relatively accurate numbers for the '98 Word Cup final?

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the real reason for east asia not being interested is that unlike 1998 and 2002, there was no brazil involved.

5. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Someone answer this:

Why exactly did George Best got sent-off vs Estudiantes in the Intercontinental Cup of 1968? I have heard a lot of myths about it but nothing concrete.

6. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowhere near as bad as the Colombian player for WC 94 who was actually killed after scoring an own goal vs. the USA.

7. lpporto

lpporto Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Poor Escobar

8. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I am a serb and admire ex yu football, but one myth is, that Yugoslavia might have done big in WC 1994.

The were drawn into qualifying group 5 in europe. Therein were Russia, a strong Greece, Hungary, Iceland and Luxemburg. It does not sound good, but might have been tricky for Yugoslavia.

However, if they had made it instead of Greece or Russia, their groups would have been:

Brazil, Sweden, Yugoslavia, Cameroon

or

Argentina, Bulgaria, Nigeria, Yugoslavia

Both groups seem very tough to me, specially the argentine one.

So, I doubt they would have made it even to the second stage.

9. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    Are you kidding that Yugoslav team had the bulk of Croatia 98 semi final side plus the Serbian Core of the Red Star 91 CL winning side. Including the great talent that was Savicevic who scored that great goal in the 94 CL final and was one of the best players in the world for a brief period of time (though injuries cut that short; the war did that for other careers on such a trajectory as well; Pancev). We are talking about a team that could have conceivably won the world cup (and certainly would have had a better overall squad than say Sweden or Bulgaria did); alot different from going out in the group stage and Greece and Russia were hardly 'strong', not in 1994 anyway.

10. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well, if you consider the croats to be part of the team it looks different. then a place in the semis might have been a sure thing. But I thought just of the serbian and montenegrin players as Bosnia and Macedonia had already split (at least halfway).

So who would have stayed? Savicevic, Stojkovic + Pancev and emerging Savo Milosevic + Koacevic?, right and ?

Like I said, I am serb myself.

11. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    Okay sorry right, I thought you meant if Yugoslavia didn't split up, my bad (as that's the only way they were legitimately going to compete in the early 90s anyway). :eek:

I'd reckon though that any "Serbia + Montenegro" Yugoslav side would still do fairly well; I mean you made the second round in 1998 and certainly I have no reason to suspect with that side you couldn't have done well in 1994 - those are still players than what Sweden had after all (Especially Savicevic and Stojkovic).

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What myths did you hear? Anything having to do with Best must be colorful.

Basically there was a big fight near the end of the match, and both Best and Hugo Medina of Estudiantes were given a red card for mutual aggression.

13. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Was the match that physical from one or both teams? Who started that scuffle?

I heard everything from Best simply defending himself to Estudiantes actually hacking every Manchester player. I never really heard anything concrete besides those two points.

14. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone remember how the European teams were divided for the draw in December 1993? You might be correct, but it may also be a mistake to assume Yugsolavia would have been in the same place as either Greece or Russia just because of their qualifying group. That was back when it was only 24 teams and it was still possible to have 3 European teams in the same group (see Group E), so I believe the European teams were divided into pots based on their world rankings and past performances. It's don't have the historical numbers in front of me but I'm certain (again, if the pots were seeded), Yugoslavia would have been well above Greece and (depending on if USSR results counted), Russia as well. In fact, it might not be out of the realm of possibility that Yugoslavia would have been the seeded team in Group F, dislodging Belgium.

In short, while we will never know how Yugoslavia would have done in WC94, I do think it's incorrect to assume they would have been in Group B or Group D.

And, moreover, while you can never predict all the knockout stage matches correctly--looking back at the 1994 rounds, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Yugoslavia would have held its own with Sweden, Bulgaria, Romania, etc. Even Italy (which needed some luck to get by Nigeria and Spain). It's all hypothetical, but I could definitely have seen a Yugoslavia v. Brazil 1994 Final...

15. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    hell, i were in the munich state library to look up microfiches to gather information on pots for every wc and ec qualifier draw and final draws. hell of a work. so i know it.

For the qualifiers:

1. Yugoslavia
    2. Russia
    3. Hungary
    4. Greece
    5. Iceland
    6. Luxembourg

For the Finals

Top: USA, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, Belgium
    Pot1: Russia, Spain, Romania, Netherlands, Ireland, Bulgaria
    Pot2: Cameroon, Morocco, Nigeria, Bolivia, Colombia, Mexico
    Pot3: Switzerland, Norway, Greece, Sweden, Korea Rep., Saudi-Arabia

Yugoslavia will for sure have been seeded in Pot1 as they reached the QF in 1990. For them, i think Bulgaria might have wandered into Pot3 instead of Greece. Russia`s replacement would have been without a change to the pots.

16. Michele

Michele Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Is it so obvious that Yugoslavia would have been top seeded? I'm not sure if it was done for 1994, but they have had a tendency to seed based on performances from the two or three most recent World Cups as well as the FIFA ranking. The FIFA ranking was very new back then and may not have been used. But, even though Yugoslavia reached the quarters in 1990 and Belgium only made it to the round of 16, Belgium did better in 1986 with a 4th place finish and in 82 with a place in the second group phase. Yugoslavia missed out in 86 and were eliminated in the group stage in 82. So based on previous performances, I think Belgium would be above Yugoslavia.

I'm not sure what the seeding criteria were, but I'm not convinced Yugoslavia would have been seeded ahead of Belgium.

17. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    my pot 1 had been the first pot of non-seeded teams.

18. monai073

monai073 New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Zinedine Zidane was the best player at World Cup '98.

19. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Either him or Suker from Croatia.

20. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Only in hindsight because they won the final and his memorable 2 headers. Otherwise it would of been Suker, Rivaldo, or Ariel Ortega (until that red card lol).
    That being said he's like Iniesta, the guy who scored in the final, with some amazing skills, that will be remembered forever, the head of an amazing midfield that had played together enough in club to be the spine of a world championship team.

21. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Here's a MYTH:

Salvadoran National Team at the 1982WC were told not to come home if they did not score at least one goal. They had accomplished that feat in the very first match (HUN 10:1). That's why they seemed to be celebrating so much when they scored it, despite being down 5:1.