World Cup MYTH-BUSTERS!!!!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by gethomas3, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Here is an excellent short from W German TV, showing the horrible pitch conditions, the ref about to call the match off, and other things related to the bad field. Check out the weird 1970's style "disco effects" at the end of the clip! Sorry, I fogot how to imbed youtube videos, so you have to follow the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfGCtlrwuY

The German goal was fair and square, by the end of the second half the conditions have improved dramatically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBip1RcveM

There was one Poland shot where the ball stoped virtually on the German goal line due to the soaked pitch, but I can't find it on the net now....maybe later I'll post it.

2. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I understand what you are saying, but the general feeling (at least in Poland) was that a World Cup match that is to determine a place in the finals should not take place under such terrible conditions, no matter whether the conditions would affect both teams the same way (which is debatable, anyway).

3. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Well, I just finished watching both videos. To be honest, most of the matches in West Germany 1974 were held in poor pitches and poor weather, unfortunetely. It also didn't look to me that West Germany greatly benefited from the soaked pitch in the match. 100 of those water-sucking machines wouldn't have made a whole pitch "playeable" since it looked to be reaining pretty hard.

From what the announcer in the second video, I gathered that Poland started the match better. But gradually over the period of the game, home advantage became a factor (Not to mention, the "Bomber" Muller).

If these match would have been held in neutral territory, I am sure it would have ended in a tie....then again, West Germany and Poland DID play each other in the opening match of Argentina 1978 in Buenos Aires. And it ended 0-0....

Nonetheless, until we see more hgihlights or a good portion of the game, the myth is yet to be solved.

MYTH DISMISSED!!!:)

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think in 74 germany dealt with the wet conditions better, but both teams would have much better liked a dry field as both of them played short passing football.

Very different german team in 78 to the 74 one.

5. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    some german players have pointed out the game was played under irregulare conditions in interviews ...its very strange to believe the germans liked to play under such worst conditions..you must put in perspective that playing on such pitches its more tiring for players than under regulare condition and germany allready has played against sweden a game with nonstop rain...

1971 germany has played a european championship qualifer match against poland at home 0:0 on a terrible rain-snow mud pitch ,snowstorm affected ect..in this game poland was better than germany..pretty much worst fieldconditions too....the first qualifer game between both teams in poland 1971 played under much better conditions has ended with a 3:1 win for germany..

so what proov this ??? absolut nothing in my opinion....i own all 3 games on dvd..

6. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Here's another myth involving Poland at the 1974 WC (sorry to monopolize like this, but I think that this is a VERY interesting topic, all these myths, and my expertise is greatest when it comes to Poland):

After Poland beat Argentina and Haiti, they already had a guaranateed first place in the group. But in order for Argentina to advance to the second round, Poland also had to beat Italy in the last group game. So supposedly the Argentinian players and staff all pitched in in order to make sure that the Poles play to win...the sum was a tidy $20,000, which for Polish boys, living in a communist country who were not allowed to play abroad was an unheard of fortune.

To make a long story short, the Argentines supposedly contacted Robert Gadocha, one of our strikers, and gave him the loot (this part of the story was gathered from interviews with some Argentine players years later). However, and this is the true myth part of the story, Gadocha supposedly NEVER SHARED THIS MONEY with his teammates and pocketed the whole thing himself. This came out only very recently, when the interviews with the Argentines came out, and the other members of the Polish team were shocked to hear about this. Still, Argentina probably believed that they got their moneys worth after Poland did beat Italy in that last match. Gadocha, of course, remains completely silent on this topic - and I don't blame him!

7. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    This is another I can't honestly give you any proof on it. I will be researching that now. My guess is that that is pure horseshit!

Argentina, back then, wasn't a powerhourse. Just another team from South America. So expectations wasn't sky high like today. The Argentines weren't worried about winning the World Cup. Poland, on the other hand, had one of the best teams ever in World Cup history. I am sure they would have wanted to go out of the group with all 3 wins just like any other team hungry fro the trophy.

Italy, on the other hand, had a mediocre team. Haiti managed to score on the "invincible" catennacio defense and the tie against Argentina only came from an Argentine own goal after they were down 1-0. If the situation was that the Argentinians bribed the referee to make key decisions for Poland, that would make more sense since referees have proven that they can change the outcome of a match.

Bribing another team's player? Especially one?! That is no guarantee that the result would still be gained whatsover as lots of things can happen to players. I could see it if they gave him money AFTER the game for becoming a key factor in Poland's win but that is not the case.

Either way, while this myth remains unsolved (for now), I highly doubt that the Argentines would have come to that level of desperation to qualify for the 2nd Group Stage. Even if they were, they would have definetely pick a better way to influence the match then just "bribing" Gadocha. I know I would...

Besides, if anyone had to bribe someone on that Polish team, wouldn't it have made more sense to go for their best player? (Lato). If not that, the referee?

MYTH dismissed!!!

8. guynice_101

guynice_101 Member

Mar 24, 2005
    GTA (Toronto)
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    just curious what people thought about the RONALDO incident prior to the '98 world cup final game versus france .....any thoughts anyone?:confused:

9. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've also wondered a lot about that but don't know much. All i've heard is he had some sort of seizure or something (don't know what brought it on). I'd also like to know if anyone has more info.

10. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Yeah, that 's a good one. What is the current thought about it now? Are we still suspecting that Ronaldo was poisoned / given something that gave him realy bad diarrhea?

11. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Can I ask where you got the dvd's? I'd love to watch the 1971 matches!

12. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    Argentina - Peru 1978...fixed beyond belief

13. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I don't know how authentic this is, but I have heard rumors that something (not a seizure) happened to him the night before the final. That something has been falling in the form of an assault.

Is it not a funny coincidence that every time a South American team reaches the final in Europe, save 1958, that something always happen to the South Americans?

14. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Europeans are jealous that they can't win a World Cup outside of Europe so they try to make it so the South Americans can't win in Europe :D.

15. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    There is some truth to that. Only Brazil and Argentina has managed to win World Cups outside their continent. Brazil is the only nation to have won 3 World Cups in 4 tournaments (1958, 1962, 1966, 1970). Argentina came SUPER CLOSE to equalling Brazil's record (1978, 1982, 1986, 1990).

16. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    5 > 2 :cool:

17. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    That is true. But looking at the past 14 years and at the past history since 1930 history, I highly believe Brazil will not win a World Cup again for a long while (16-20 years). Argentina's era might start again only if they find the same tenacity that Argentina had with Maradona.

18. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
  19. pippomo

pippomo Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Modena
    about Italian racism in 1990: there was no racism of sort against argentina.
    Truth is that:
    1- outside Naples Maradona was hated. In particular in Milan and Rome.
    2- when Italy-Argnetina was played tha neapolitans crowd in San Paolo Stadium was not hostile at all against their hero Maradona. All of Italy expected a crowd fully supporting Italy and against Argentina. The presence of maradona in argentina's ranks made the "HOME" factor a non factor.
    3- When the day of the final come the normal hatred of roman crowd for Maradona mixed with a certain need of revenge against neapolitans crowd and the support for roma's german player ( Voller and Berthold ) crated a hostile attitude against Argentina. An attitude unknown in Italy before that day and one which never surfaced again against argentina or argentine player ( which ara in fact quite appreciated in Italy ).

Again racism has a meaning. I can't see how a very hostile crowd can be called racist when no matter of superiority of race is raised. How could an italian crowd be racist toward a team HISTORICALLY built on italian-bloodied players?
    That part of your post is ridicolous.

20. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
  21. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    MYTH: World Cup gets 1,000,000,000 viewers.

MYTH: Portugal-Netherlands two years ago had too many cards. Probably should've been more, actually.

22. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    That is because you are hard-headed. You don't know all the facts.

It was a lot more then Maradona playing for Napoli but I will let you find out on your own.

My assessment stands.

23. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Not a myth!!!

The numbers come from a cumulative television audience over the month. For example, in Germany 2006, 26.29 billion (24.2 billion in-home and 2.1 billion out of home viewers) watched the World Cup. The final, itself, was watched by a live audience of 715.1 million people.

Here is a link to FIFA's television coverage.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/ffprojects/ip-401_06e_tv_2658.pdf

And this myth is solved!

MYTH CLOSED!!!!

Not a myth!!!

That game broke the previous World record of most accumulated cards. A really ugly match, full of diving and cynicism.

Here are a few links
    Match report
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/results/matches/match=97410052/report.html

A video of all the cards
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9obWqMCbMG0

Another myth solved.

MYTH CLOSED!!!!

24. pippomo

pippomo Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Modena
    Oh man you were 3 years old. I remember those days very well. Where does racism come from, you idiot?
    Were there any black players? Any jews player? Or do you think that in italy there was people who ahd the need ot be anti-indios??
    It is simple: Maradona was a great player. He was hated in Italy apart from Naples. We lost to Argentina. The hymn was booed.
    Is it so difficult to understand?
    Sei un pupazzo!!!!
    Ma zio canta, ma sti cazzo di americani ci sono o ci sono fanno...
    Allibito. Ma da dove viene, da dove vengono?? Dal mondo dei miomini pony??

25. Khaloisha

Khaloisha Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Milano
    Nun te incazzà, certa gente proprio non ci arriva, seguono il calcio da un paio d'anni e credono di saper tutto. Mi ricordo benissimo la scena, visto che avevo 12 anni e quel maledetto Goicoitchea o come diavolo si scrive che parò i rigori, lasciandomi in lacrime.

No. You weren't here at that times and you were too little to understand. Your so-called assessment is obviously ridicolous.