World Cup lessons for the U.S.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought it might be interesting to discuss observations from watching the Cup that offer lessons, insights, etc that might reshape the conversation about the Nats

I’ll kick it off...

I see a lot of people discuss counter attacking tactics as something that weaker teams do against stronger teams. That never pass a reality check as far as I was concerned. Germany, for example, has been a devastating counter attacking team the last couple cycles.

And France is the latest. (See for example The Athletic article - I’ll link below but it is behind a paywall.) France was out possessed, absorbed pressure and stretched the field in the counter.

So... why is counter attacking sometimes maligned as a weak tactic? France has incredible speed - yes, we don’t have any M’Bape’s hanging around, but speed is a traditional attribute of our teams. Should we be more comfortable with a counter attacking identity?

Please comment on that or offer any other tactical or other ideas you got watching the Cup

Runhard repped this.
  2. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I think it is easy. Good defense and...................

Set pieces, set pieces, set pieces, set pieces.

Winoman and SamsArmySam repped this.
  3. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday the better team lost. It happens. What I learned from tournament is confirmation that World Cup is played by young players.

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do not have a stopper like Kante. We had J Jones, he wasn't the greatest, but now we do not have a stopper.

5. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me, we have Michael Bradley!
    Yes, sarcasm!

6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Loved what Croatia did but I thought top to bottom France was the best team in the tournament. (Croatia did have the best player.)

Kanye is a different kid of stopper. Uruguay’s Torreira is similar. I’m MLS, Diego Charra is the closest. Is there a new model of smaller, relentless pressing stoppers as opposed to our traditional destroyer?

Anyone in our youth ranks have a similar profile?

Edit: right after I posted that, I saw this on MLS:

Davies: The World Cup champion Portland's Diego Chara reminds me of
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/15/davies-world-cup-champion-diego-chara-reminds-me

Honore de Ballsac and Winoman repped this.
  7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea that possession rules international soccer should be dead by now. Spain won with it, but really no one since. Surrendering possession creates space behind the defense and speed on the counter exploits that space.

Soon we will see a game that actually plays out the old joke of two teams standing around the center circle taunting the other side in an attempt to make them take the ball.

What will be next? That's interesting. I'd expect teams to become less confident in possession, which will lead to more boring games.

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of teams are focusing on high press inthe mid to force turnovers. That may be the counter tactic for weaker teams to try and force turn overs further up the field rather than absorbing and countering. It’s what Croatia did

russ and Patrick167 repped this.
  9. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, they probably have the best players in the tournament, but best team got second place. You take away the own goal and hand ball and France doesn't get the third and fourth goal when Croatia is trying to push forward. Luck plays a big part in this. The Croatia domination throughout the game was impressive, of course everybody gets enamored by the score line because it is all that matters at the end of the day, it is soccer, the best team not always win.

10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Counter attacking soccer is what brought us success in the 2002 cup and the surrounding years because it played to our strengths.
    Ever since we were bitten with this fascination of slowing things down and “ attempting “ ( key word) a possession game, we have sucked and regressed..

Once we completely revamp our youth system and those players mature, we can maybe talk possession..

We should have never strayed from counter attacking given our player pool.

jnielsen, WrmBrnr, russ and 3 others repped this.
  11. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams had a great tournament. In the final, France was not that impressive except in those few minutes where they scored back to back goals. However, over the whole tournament, and specifically in the knockout round, France did something no recent WC winner has done. They went all 4 ko games without going to extra time, therefore not having to win by pks. Croatia's 3 ko wins all involved extra time, and 2 were won by pks. Another issue is that France only fell behind once in the 4 ko games. Overall France was the best team in the field.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think there is counter attacking as a tactic, then there is bunkering and praying. What the US did against France in the friendly is closer to the second. What Real Madrid do and France do is a tactic. France and Real Madrid don't really press much, their line of confrontation is not high, but they are rarely with 9-10 behind the ball. They have numbers back, but are in a shape that lets them break with numbers easily. At least, that is how this novice sees it.

There is also high press/counter press/counter attacking soccer like Liverpool plays. I don't remember any team really doing this at the World Cup for large stretches of games. The conventional wisdom is that this is too complicated for national team use. Germany possibly tried to play this way but their midfielders were not suited to it and they got killed on the counter.

The USMNT is in a position to play more of their games as the favorite and a small number of games as a decided underdog. So, the next four years will probably see many play like France (again, who basically played like Real Madrid) and even fewer play like Spain (and Barcelona and to some extent Croatia). When France played us or Australia, they were more proactive because they had to be. We will need to proactive more than reactive.

Pogba and Kante were perfect for France's strategy. Rakitic and Modric allowed Croatia to pass teams to death in second halves. If McKennie and Adams are our pair, then we could certainly be more protagonistic and press and counter. We will not be able to pass it around Barcelona style.

In other words, with McKennie, Adams, and Pulisic (in the Mbappe role) with Sargent or Wood making space, and good CBs, we are set up to play very much like France. We just won't be able to do it against T&T, as they will be happy to sit back as we sit back.

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is simplifying the match a bit. It may be that the French manager looked at the Belgian counter attack and realized that if the French played a possession base tactic that the Belgian counter would tear them apart and decided to play in a way that allowed for the Belgians to possess the ball more. I thought it was very curious to see how much space from the beginning France allowed Belgium in the midfield.

I agree with the OP regarding the fact that we shouldn't view a team that plays for the counter as a "weaker" side. I don't think the footballing world feels that way anymore. I think it is a tried and true tactic.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Almost every team that has lost to Real Madrid the last two years felt they outplayed them, especially early in the game, and were unlucky. If you go back and watch, when the emotions are gone, Real Madrid is rarely not doing exactly what they want to be doing. The same with France. You perceive that Croatia was dominant because they have the ball in the French half, but they really get no great looks at goal.

In the beginning of the second half, in desperation, Croatia actually goes a bit away from their possession game and go high pressure high tempo. This actually worked well for a bit, until the inevitable French counters (the Nzonzi sub helps tremendously). Much like Liverpool v Real Madrid.

15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Young talent and depth, especially in the attacking and midfield positions. Difficult to make a deep tournament run without 20-somethings in those positions. Teams relying too much on their 30-something vets (Spain, Portugal, Argentina...) went out early. Although hopefully we already learned this lesson in Trinidad last October.

Error-free keeping + the occasional spectacular save can be a valuable x factor. Err, damn, that was Trinidad, too.

Set piece execution gives you a lot of bang for the buck in terms of chance conversion, and even lesser talented teams can score that way.

Well established back line partnership makes a huge difference. Set it well before the tournament and don't tinker.

17. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats one thing the pundits don’t seem to get. They talk about teams being too young, therefore surprising that they are succeeding... Ans then they fawn over veteran teams.

The World Cup is a grind. You need young legs to survive it. And while veteran leadership is great, sometimes you need a guy whose too young to know he’s supposed to be nervous

Winoman repped this.
  18. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non-native managers (and even ones with a pretty mixed, though top flight, club track record) can be successful.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And Brazil was also a counterattacking team, when Dunga was in charge a few years back.

yabo repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Well said.

As for lessons from the tournament, I think there is one. The game constantly evolves. Drawing a conclusion that counter attacking is king and possession is dead is way to simplistic and actually dangerous. People found answers for Spain and their players got older. Counter attacking worked for France because they have one of the best and fastest 19 year olds ever, Kante and Pogba to jam up the midfield and Lloris had some incredible saves. Don't think that teams wont have a better answer for Mbappe by 2022, whether it be double/triple teaming or kicking him all game like has always happened to big stars.

France beat Belgium on a corner that Courtois has a good chance of saving and could have easily conceded a number of goals. If Belgium wins the whole thing are the lessons different? I dont think so. There are many different ways to play and be successful and the tournament is played to see who that one team is. I personally thought Belgium was the best side in the whole tournament. That doesnt make their style the only way to play. The top teams could implement most of the successful strategies and be effective.

Whether the US plays a possession style or not, the backs need to be able to complete passes to midfielders. Whether the midfield plays deliberately or tries to hit an outlet man or put a man through, they cant turn the ball over. We need to develop soccer players that can play the way France, Belgium, Croatia, Brazil, etc play and then tweak the style based on the personnel. As mentioned before, we will play many games in concacaf against weaker opponents and will likely have more of the ball. We should attempt to play similarly against better opposition over the next couple of years to determine where we can compete and where are we outmatched.

I dont agree with those who claim we have regressed and would start with the strategy we had a the copa in 2016 and build from there. We already have players to replace the ones aged out and have a better side. Let that group slug it out with better opponents and see if they can raise their game and if not, then find a way to hide/cover our weaknesses. Even if we decide to concede space and counter, we still need to be better and more composed in the attacking third. Some people are really excited about our friendly against France. I thought it was a waste of time.

Burr and QuakeAttack repped this.
  21. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Probably a standard teaching, but your midfield needs to be well-organized and a creative force to give yourselves the best shot. I think the strongest performances at the World Cup, even in losing efforts, came when teams got the most out of their midfield. Contest the center of the park, and be able to build through it.

Something the USMNT wasn't particularly good at this cycle.

jnielsen, Burr and Patrick167 repped this.
  22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Onward with youth, but experience can count a lot for one or two key moments (Honda with Japan had a rather epic impact as a sub). Avoid short corners, they pretty much always suck.

Just keep trying, and the mental blocks can eventually break (England). Don't expect too much, though. Realistically we'll probably never reach Belgium's talent level, and as good as that team was they didn't win it all.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Team speed. If you don't have it you are dead. Our last cycle NT was our slowest NT in the last 20 years.

jnielsen, Burr, onefineesq and 4 others repped this.
  24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Young legs

Speed

Hunger

Styles and tactics changes from one game to the next. You can play a high press game today, and a counter 3 days laters. It all depends on the opponents. You don't play against Mexico throughout the whole tournament.

SCSAutism, Winoman and Sombrerito repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Mobile and good ball-playing CB's at full-back is a better idea than bad fullbacks.