WORLD CUP. Info & news [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by usscouse, Jun 14, 2018.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #101 usscouse, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Soccersplaining = The art of commentating on a game for the benefit of the blind, people without a TV, or people who have never seen the game before.
    Usually from two people with the talent to read from preprinted notes and say stupid thing for 90 minutes
    Both must know what players "should" have done and how managers "should" have set the team up.
    Favourite comments being.
    There may have been contact there.
    Not good enough for me.
    The referee, linesman got that wrong.
    From that angle, he may have got it right.
    A long diagonal pass with the outside of the boot.
    Keepers at fault on that goal.
    That's a penalty for me.
    10 foot lower thats a goal.
    Etc. etc. etc.

soccernutter and roby repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My favorite is "he should have done better with that." Per the commentators, the average game score should be 6-5.

3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I used to watch quite a bit of Italian Calcio matches when I had a 12' dish. The commentators rarely added more than who had the ball or who it was passed to. Unfortunately you didn't get to know what that player's favorite toy was when he was 3 yrs old! :rolleyes:

Ps...bring back Toby Charles! :thumbsup:

Dr. Wankler and usscouse repped this.
  4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Mario Machado

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's funny because the US tried to employ a similar strategy against Argentina. It generally worked for Iceland. The US? It looked like ten guys desperately chasing the other ten guys and the ball.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ah yes: Toby Charles. Not sure if that was his catch phrase, or if it should be "Ooo. That was a baaaad one."

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ESPN's commenatator line ups from the last two WC's are looking like sheer genius compared to what Fox is offering.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The whole World Cup, save for a few stud teams and Saudi Arabia on the flip side, plays like the U.S. used to play. Defend with numbers and commitment, then counter. Only we don't seem to do that so well any more.

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That's that was when there was only one com. and he usually stayed with what went on, on the pitch.

10. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just give me whoever was calling the Peru/Denmark game and arguing about whether or not an Aerosmith song was old and I would be a happy camper.

Val1 repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Trick question. All Aerosmith songs are old.

superdave and Dyvel repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Colombia handball & Japan penalty made it 1-0 after 5 minutes. Colombian red carded.

Colombia ties it up with cheeky free kick outside 18 yrd box. Ground ball just sneaked by GK in lower right corner.

The Fox commentators are butchering the game BTW. Off to Telemundo I go.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My wife's comment on the Colombia/Japan match -

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But gotta give props to an Ivy League school qualifying for the WC. :thumbsup:

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah I know. She hasn't been the same since her concussion.*

* Not a joke, it's true. But the doctor says that in a few more months she should be back to normal, because the impairment is rarely permanent with the first concussion.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Japanese keeper was ill-served by his wall on that one.

Started with Telemundo tpdau and stayed there. I'm done with Fox when I have any choice in the matter. This might be as bad as ESPN in 2006, when bigsoccer hurt the fee fees of head commentator and soccer know-nothing Dave O'Brien.

Though that does make me wonder: Will Fox Sports commentators like Tony Meola get better as the tournament progresses, or will they, Like Marcelo Balboa in 2006, get worse?

I'd appreciate any information from those who stick with Fox

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For me, the best commentator has been Aly Wagner. The Brits don't really talk about the tactics, they just say things like "Oh too bad, he really should have made that." The American male soccer guys, like Holden and Meola, do a better job but they're not very good at announcing. Whereas I find Wagner to be a useful analyst and also reasonably skilled.

YMMV.

Timon19, raza_rebel, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #118 usscouse, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    I and most brits don't need someone telling me/us what they should have done. Or like the Mexico game when the comms spent the first 10 minutes on how Mexico would spend 90 minutes in their own penalty area. But it wouldn't do any good against the Krauts. In fact Mexico came out with some fine attacking football.
    If you need some strident monotoned voiced woman telling you the obvious tactics when you have the TV in front of you. Then I don't know what to say.

The soccersplaining from the American comms means I turn off the sound. But I understand they're talking to an audience who have been brought up watching and listening to US sports.

Auriaprottu, Dr. Wankler and roby repped this.
  19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I gave up on the Colombia Japan game and fast forwarded it just to see if there were any goals.

Colombia spent a lot of time running into Japanese players then falling in agony looking for the set piece. And it worked.

Yeah and screw "Hamez" if he can't pronounce his name.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    1) There was no woman announcing the Mexico-Brazil match.

2) Don't kid yourself, Brit announcers spend the entire match talking about how Iceland plays 10 men behind the ball, about how disciplined the squad is, blah blah blah. Yeah, we figured that out.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, fair enough on that point.

usscouse repped this.
  22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Que? - I have the TSN feed which has Brit announcers that are pretty good at telling you who has the ball, with limited tactical commentary (especially for formation stuff that's not obvious via the feed) and some historical stats for relevant players as things occur.

I will take this over insipid american announcers all day long.

soccernutter and roby repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The Latino pseudo Andres Cantor on Fox said on a Colombia throw in "hand ball for Colombia."
    I shit you not.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    All Canadians are British wannabes. Except for the French variety.

Being serious, this debate is of course one of different styles. All fair. The only thing I dispute is the contention that British fans don't need announcers telling them things because they know all that already. Bull. Shit. Americans know the hell out of gridiron and basketball, but that doesn't mean that \they have it all figured out, so there's no need for announcers to tell them stuff.

25. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said that a lot during the Peru/Denmark game. I like him and the energy he brings, a few mistranslated terms don't bother me that much.

Timon19 repped this.