World Cup Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jun 21, 2018.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please use this thread for any WC discussion going forward.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking of making a thread like this...
    Not sure who watched the game that Mark Gieger did yesterday but I thought he did a pretty good job managing the game

Jon Martin repped this.
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One questionable call, but VAR didn't think it was a PK either.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure that wasn't an Onion article?

"Geiger, 43, a former high school math teacher from New Jersey, is regarded as one of the best referees in Major League Soccer"

If he did ask for a player's jersey, he should be kicked out of the WC and the USSF ref program. How can you possibly be objective and call/book a guy like C Ronaldo for a dive if he's been promised his jersey?

I've been suspect of his ethics ever since he candy-assed his way out of the playoff game at DC in 2015 because he didn't want to be out in the cold rain for another 45 minutes on a miserable night. Then there was the phantom PK for Mexico when they were on the verge of getting beaten... It wouldn't shock me in the least if a scandal comes out in a few years and he's at the center of it.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm sorry. I call BS. There's no way that Geiger asked for CR's jersey.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had hoped this was not true

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I hope the USMNT coach calls up Dempsey for a few games just so he can break the tie and become the call time leader. Lando is dead to me now.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, my only issue is that for the 2nd game in a row, Cristiano Ronaldo totally faked a foul (shocker, yeah I know) and didn't get sanctioned for it.

In game one, his team got points (and denied Spain points) because of it. He should have been suspended because of it (since replay wasn't used to correct it at the time). Then in Geiger's game, there was another instance of him simulating a foul when there was 0 contact and he again was rewarded for making a mockery of the game.

One of the strongest players in the game, he goes down the easiest. At least Neymar (2nd worst faker) is a relative weakling in comparison.

Jon Martin repped this.
  12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, so Charlie was among the 57,000+ in Foxboro who saw Hernandez block a Keller GK with his haid in the second minute! I hope he stuck around for the Main Event, Revs vs. Tampa Bay! :whistling:

Seriously, he gives a well-reasoned argument for not supporting Mexico. Got no problem with Landon rooting for them for his own reasons, but no one should be surprised if lots of other people strongly disagree.

13. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Sooo...anyone else think that Argentina came across as whiny immature children during the match v Croatia yesterday? (I mean even before the lack of sportsmanship displayed at end of match, fleeing into tunnels.)

I've no axe to grind with them at all - I had neutral feeling toward them and Croats heading into the match - but I was surprised as to the lack of leadership on the field, i.e., anyone who could have held them to some level of better behavior. It wasn't a good look for them. Nor would it be for any team.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are prima donnas and are coddled by referees

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun games to be at.

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Yup. completely agree. It's turning out that Croatia are one of the really fun teams to watch, along with Belgium, Mexico, and France.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 firstshirt, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Tony meola is just terrible. His voice is so annoying

18. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    fake news at the USA Today? Hard to believe..:rolleyes:

19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now, I'll watch Panama vs England and pregame am wondering why Panama is at the WC and we aren't? Except for Mexico, our region has been embarrassingly bad and yet they all beat us out. Thanks to the total mismanagement by Klinsmann/Arena. Even if we had squeaked in, Arena would not have brought a young team and we would have embarrassed ourselves. Maybe that setback was what was needed to make necessary changes and to retire many of the Klinsmann/Arena favorites? We'll see if we ever get a coach and get started.

I have no problem supporting Mexico in the WC. Them doing well does nothing but show that some from our region belong at the show and that helps us. That and the fact we tied France's WC team can only help the USA. Beyond the WC, Mexico is the enemy hehe

rkupp repped this.
  20. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think the USA (and probably the Revs) would have done better than Panama today.

21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets not get carried away lol

Panama looked bad but also got a ref that didnt put up with their thuggery on defense. They embarrassed themselves and our region.

Sachem07 repped this.
  22. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not saying I'd make the Revs (or the US) favorites to win by any means, but I believe either team would certainly be capable of putting in a more RESPECTABLE loss than Panama did today.

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this England team more than any other team that I can remember in the past play like they are having fun and are enjoying themselves. There don't seem to be the big egos of the past and have a good chemistry. I don't think they will win it all but a final 8 or 4 is possible.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Southgate has assembled a much less arrogant and more likeable group than past teams. While I love Steven Gerrard, England oftenounderperformed in big tournaments while he was captain.

I can't forget living in the UK in 2010 and watching England-USA with my friends, being the only one on the US side. I dont think Rob Green has recovered.

England are fun to watch when they're playing well and Kane is running rings around the defenders. Last 8 is reasonable at this tourney, though they haven't been really tested yet. The Belgium game isn't much of a litmus test with both sides already through and looking towards the round of 16, though I would imagine they'd both like to win the group and play lesser opponents next round.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US may very well have lost to both Belgium and England, but I can guarantee it wouldn't have been by a combined 9-1 margin.

firstshirt repped this.