World Cup bid torpedoed

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by clevelandstoker, Jan 12, 2010.

1. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    ******** you very much US soccer.

INDIANAPOLIS?

Are you kidding me?

I could see losing to Detroit or Chicago...but this is just...:(

2. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FIFA knew anything about the cities we chose then they would laugh in our faces and give it to someone else.

3. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    You have to remember this is a preliminary list. We'll likely get the 2022 cup. That's 12 FULL YEARS!!! The only reason Indy is on the list is because of Lucas Oil Field (whatever the name of the stadium the Colts play in). I'm not shocked we got dropped. But you have to think about things besides big cities here.

4. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention Indy has an amazing facility with the new Colts stadium and an airport that can accomadate the influx of people since they host the Indy500 every year.

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm... stoker, you do realize that Browns Stadium cannot fit a field of required World Cup dimensions, right?

So, the reason that we were dropped was at least partially due to that fact and the fact that no group wanted to come forward with the millions of dollars it would take to modify the stadium to fit such a field. I can't blame them, we would have only gotten a handful of games anyway and not that much money would be made. It's possible it would even be a net loss.