World Cup 2026

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Jun 13, 2018.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be too soon and I wasn't sure where to put this, but the US-Canada-Mexico won the rights to host the 2026 World Cup. Yay!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/06/13/us-led-joint-bid-wins-right-to-host-2026-world-cup.html

60 games for the US of A and 10 each for Canada and Mexico.

Since the US, Canada and Mexico are hosting the World Cup, does that mean that CONCACAF still gets four/five entries. Will we be seeing the likes of T&T, Haiti and El Salvador finally in the World Cup?

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean that the national teams of USA, Mexico and Canada all get automatic selections? If so, that’s 3 of the spots right there. Figure Costa Rica for another. Jamaica, Honduras, and the like would be favorites for the other.

3. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Probably since they're increasing the number of teams to 48.

Todorojo repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the expanded format CONCACAF gets 6 spots. The wiki page (so take it for what its worth) states that number will remain the same even with hosting countries. What will be interesting in CONCACAF qualifying for 2026 then, will be who will be the 3 teams (well 2 teams besides Costa Rica) that get in.

Also: A play-off tournament involving six teams will be held to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths,[17] consisting of one team per confederation (except for UEFA) and one additional team from the confederation of the host country.

So really it'll be VERY similar qualifying for 2026 in CONCACAF except Canada, the US, and Mexico won't be involved. I wonder if they'll keep the HEX, in fact, given the similarities of 3.5 CONCACAF teams getting in.

RSLer repped this.
  5. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how does qualifying work then? Does the US and Mexico still play in the qualifying games like normal? Or do we just do friendlies with various other teams instead? I've never paid attention to what the other host countries do during WC qualifying.

RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  6. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Likely just friendlies. There is no reason to compete and be in the way for countries that are actually playing for something. Advantage is that we can play who we want and have a tougher schedule maybe. Disadvantage is that the players will just be playing in a bunch of warmup games for a couple of years outside of the Gold Cup.

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about a round robin, home and way series between Mexico, Canada and the US? That way, each team has four games with some meaning to them (operative word is "some"). We can call it the "min-Hex".

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies
    During FIFA windows for the 2026 qualifiers we'll setup friendlies with other nations that don't have games at that same time. Russia did the same thing this cycle. What is cool about this is that we'll for sure play Mexico a few times leading up to it, so that won't go away. Though the true competitive nature of it might be smaller.

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured that was likely the case. It would be nice if we can get some higher profile games in, especially if it's against other WC bound teams.

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why only a few? Lets play every game leading up to the World Cup against them. At the Azteca in the pollution. I think that would get our team ready.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they will, just not when those other teams are in qualifiers. Its the catch 22 of hosting. I expect we'll play a lot of games with Euro teams as they have off rotations for their qualifiers, typically, as groups are an odd number of teams sometimes.

12. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16 groups of 3

The draw will matter even more for making it into the first or second elimination rounds

13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16 groups of three would suck. It would make the World Cup a bigger joke than it already is.

Too many groups dilutes the pools. 8 groups of 6. Five games for each team so that if a team has a bad game, it won't matter in the long run and the top two teams in each group advance to the semis.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now each team plays at least 3 games. With groups of 3 each would play 2. With groups of 6 each would play 5. Two seems too few. 5 seems excessive.

Ismitje repped this.
  15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Colombia/Japan game is an example of what I dislike about soccer. Colombia goes down a man in the 5th. They spend the rest of the half diving and rolling around in attempts to get the official to even it. They do manage to get a free kick close to the box on a foul that wasn’t a foul. If anything the Colombian player committed the foul. The free kick is converted to make the score 1-1. Colombia is a man down still, but I fully expect to see them spend the remainder of the game with similar theatrics and probably being rewarded for their antics.

Battler repped this.
  16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, that will lower the quality of play but who cares about that when you get to watch another Russia - Saudi Arabia blowout.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ironic thing is that the most boring game of this tournament so far, for me, was France v Denmark. A matchup that would feature in (obviously) a 32 team tournament and even less.

Sure, the qualifying for knockout round stuff is going to be weird, but I don't think it's going to be as awful as people (myself included) have made it out to be.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will miss the simultaneous for-all-the-marbles games. But if, as I presume, the games go 1 v 2, 1 v 3, then 2 v 3 (that way to give the top seed the advantage of rest in the knockout stage), the final game will usually determine who will advance so it will be more intense than it otherwise might. No one will be out before its second group game, even if they got thrashed in game one.

RSLer repped this.
  21. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you rather have a 48 team world cup every 4 years, or, have a 24 team world cup every 2 years

RSLer repped this.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every four years is right, so continental championships and Summer Olympics can fit in between.

RSLer repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The four year cycle is best. In the 2 year cycle every national team will be immersed in qualifying all the time, which hurts their club teams too. It’s too intense. Great question though!

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What will be very interesting with Qatar is the "winter" schedule. There has been a lot of talk, especially by Seedorf, about the lower level of play from the top teams. He attributes, or at least contributes some of it, to the long club season many of those players have gone through. With a "winter" world cup, you get players with half as many miles logged. That's huge.

goobx1 repped this.
  25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be interesting to see it his hypothesis is a valid one. It would make sense, but I think that the players won't be playing at their highest level for the fact that they will still be playing in their respective domestics leagues and will back off to avoid getting injured, if they play at all. I can't see the biggest clubs in Europe allowing their best players to take time off from what they are paid to do to go play soccer in another tournament with the possibility of a season ending injury. I think we will have another NHL/Olympics situation.