World Cup 2018 - Who will you watch?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by St. Michael's Sword, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    First thing you must do is get rid of that cow Merkel. Then take back your homeland.

Rosay and Rac93 repped this.
  2. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    I like our group tbh. Our B squad beat Mexico 4-1 at the CC, Sweden is not that great despite beating you guys and South Korea is ranked 60th in the world or something like that.

I would say Brazil`s group or Argentina`s is the group of death.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  3. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    My original response was to someone claiming he didn`t want other countries to beat Italy`s records. Your head to head records aren`t at risk in this World Cup.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  4. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    The worst part is Merkel`s party is considered conservative in Germany. Whoever might replace could be worse.

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #55 Dage, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Well I finally make my mind when I know the team selections but I like the group f for seven reasons. It provides different styles, which could be helpful in the later stages. The opponents are not to shabby, so the team has to be focused and sharp to come out on top. When they reach the round of 16, they're battle tested. In an easy group, one probably qualify easily but they just don't know how good they're really, which could be a big problem. In some kind it's what Brazil experienced last time. They just started playing against Germany like they did all tourney and it showed brutally.

Last point, in a good group the teams will most likely steal points from each other, which means, that you can be top of the group with e.g. 6 points or have ask the chances until the 3rd game. You literary can have a bad result and still reach first.

I don't mind resting players in the 3rd game, wouldn't do that. At least not from the start. Breaking rhythm and flow can ruin a team. Ours, in my view, more important than some more minutes played.

I'm obviously happy that Germany want mixed in a group with Spain or Nigeria. On the other hand that would mean meeting these teams only in the final again..

All in all, I like a tough but not too difficult groupand that's exactly what we get with group f.

Cheers

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Brazil?

I think you have a narrow definition of records.

world soccer magazines repped this.
  7. pogoss

pogoss Member

Wydad Casablanca
    Morocco
    Jan 15, 2017
    Japan
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    I usually watch all the games.

8. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    I won't be watching many games this time round. I wasn't even interested in watching the draw. It just won't be the same without Italy.

romanista8910, calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya I finally see the world cup like others who don't watch soccer see it as.

romanista8910 repped this.
  10. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen

Records doesn’t necessarily mean to be best in something internationally.

Some good records for Italy:

-The first team to win 2 WC’s in a row

-Being the most successful European team in WC (jointly with Germany) and second successful if we consider, Number of EC and WC wins together.

-Being second successful team internationally in WC (jointly with Germany after Brazil)

-Being 3rd in all time WC-Table with 156 points. If I was and Italian I would probably boot against Argentina (with 140 points). If they reach final, they would push Italy in 4th place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_table_of_the_FIFA_World_Cup

-Having the best head to head record against any major team other than Brazil.

There are of course some bad records for them internationally especially if we consider 2010 and 2014 together, but they have a great history and I love their poisonous /foxy way of playing. To be honest at first I had some good laughs for their failures in last WC’s but now I really miss them in this WC. I prefer a strong Italy in main tournaments even if it could potentially mean more pains for Germany. Well we partially broke the Italian hoodoo, next time we beat them in regular time :- ) .

Rac93 repped this.
  11. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    Disgusting comment.

∆lemão and Dage repped this.
  12. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Is that you Angela?

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Croatia and Iceland for me!

14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Most other people only follow soccer then.

15. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I could get on board with Iceland. I actually follow their domestic league lol

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OMG seriously? I sometimes watch their clubs in the Europa League playoffs but don't follow their domestic league.

17. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    all of this Iceland bandwagoning has to stop

johnny6 repped this.
  18. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah lol. I like to watch Stjarnan, you know that team that used to have those wild celebrations after they scored goals lol.

19. Viola Star

Viola Star Member

Fiorentina
    Italy
    May 9, 2006
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I will be watching England closely as my wife is from there.
    I'm looking forward to see if Martinez can get Belgium to
    play to their potential and maybe win. I'll be interested in
    how Russia cope with the pressure and expectation.

I'm looking forward to the World Cup. It'll be different without
    Italy there, but it's always interesting. I'll watch most games.

20. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Call me bitter or a sore loser but i've decided not to watch any games, i'll just check out the scores, for the first time since i can remember my country won't be in the WC :(

Rosay repped this.
  21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya I most likely won't be watching as well. probably just see highlights and scores. I don't give a ******** about this world cup. it makes me sad

22. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always said I wouldn't watch but truth is I probably will still be glued to the TV for it.

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    It still makes me sad that we are not in this World Cup. Its not gonna be the same, however I will definitely be watching every single game as a neutral fan.

Probably be cheering for the Eastern European Teams: Russia, Croatia, Serbia, and Poland. Iceland, Sweden, and Denmark as well.

24. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I want to see a team that has never won it win, like Belgium or a team that hasn't won it in a very long time, Argentina, Uruguay....even England. Just as long as Brazil, Germany and France don't win I'll be happy.

25. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I don't think France will win it. I feel the chemistry is not there.

Germany and Brazil look like the strongest teams coming into the World Cup, but it doesn't mean they will win it. While I wouldn't mind seeing Germany win it, I really have a hard time believing they will defend their title. We have not seen that in so many years, and I am worried about their striker position. If I were coach, I would move Muller up there as a center forward, but Low seems to be trusting Timo Werner and Mario Gomez. Not sure if they are up to the task but we'll see.

Brazil look like a team that could win it this time, although I have been confused as to why David Luiz, Alves, and Alex Sandro have been left out of the squad. Sandro has not been in the best form but still has been great. I feel like Alves is their best full back. David Luiz, I can understand a little more, but I would have taken him over Pedro Geromel. Also Sandro and Alves instead of Fagner and Danilo. Danilo has not been that impressive and has a tendency to lose many one on ones. I also would have taken Gustavo over Renato Augusto, and Alex Teixeira over Fred. However every coach has his own reasons. They appear to have a complete team and don't see too many weaknesses, although I am not so sure about their box-to-box midfielders. Casameiro is world class, but the others concern me. Not sure if Paulinho and Fernandinho are good enough, while Coutinho and Willian are too attack minded which could leave gaps in defense. Brazil is a great contender, but I am not sure.

I'd say Brazil, Germany, and Spain look like the strongest teams. Then second tier teams like Argentina, France, Croatia, Uruguay, Portugal, and Belgium. The second tier teams could win it with a little luck, but I see a few weaknesses in all of those teams I listed above. Also Belgium made the stupidest decision in the world by leaving out Nainggolan, arguably their best player.