World Cup 2018 Russia

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by HomietheClown, Dec 3, 2017.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The silly thing about the quote is that you took it out of context. The point had to do with the three questions asked combined not just the first one.

I will say it again in this order with another question added....
    How many people even have 4K tvs?
    How many of them are World Cup fans?
    How many of them want to stream the World Cup in 4K?
    How many of them have the 20 mps or greater recommended streaming speed for events?

The population of these so called fans seems to be getting smaller and smaller with each question I ask.

2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    HomietheClown repped this.
  3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interesting that this would only be done via DTV. Verizon, Comcast, etc worried about 4k and bandwidth?

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    DTV has certainly showed in the past that they have the bandwidth to handle 4K as they regularly showed Premier League, MLB, NBA, etc. in 4K. It will be interesting to see if the other providers do the same. But one thing is clear - so much for Hisense TVs having some type of exclusive World Cup 4K content...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said in the other post it was up to providers to decide which matches would be in 4K.
    Kudos to Direct TV for being the first to officially mention 4K and 4K HDR in an ad.

As I alluded to in another post though Dish has been testing their new 4K HDR channel that was recently added so I am 90% certain they will also announce something soon.
    As for Verizon, Comcast (and others) it remains to be seen what their plans are.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On the Telemundo front...

....Telemundo will have a special 2 Hour WC Preview during the first episode of their new Nightly World Cup show on the 13th (7 ET).

It will mark the first time a US Network will dedicate its programming to the World Cup in Prime Time.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #132 HomietheClown, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    More Telemundo news....

... For those of you who hate spoilers during the matches Telemundo will be broadcasting the simultaneous games played on the final match days on both channels (So you won't like that decision because both games will be on some sort of split screen),

No word yet if FOX will do the same but you know that they will probably at least do the "breaking news in the other match blah blah has scored" kind of thing.

I guess for those who want to see the matches separately (guaranteed with no spoilers) you can watch the alternate feeds/cams on FOX's digital platform.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #133 HomietheClown, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Latest on 4K, Comcast,and Telemundo:
    I am hearing that Xfinity will have a 4K Telemundo broadcast feed available. Which kind of makes sense if it is exclusive since Comcast/NBC owns Telemundo.
    The caveat is that it will not be live. (Just some sort of delayed games.) Not sure at this time if it will be OnDemand or a dedicated channel.

*Edit
    Here is an article that mentions it will be OnDemand:
    https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-brings-world-cup-content-hub-x1
    "Comcast said X1 subs with also be able to view Telemundo’s 4K coverage of the World Cup on a VOD, next-day basis, similar to how the service provider handled 4K fare tied to the 2018 Winter Games. To view those games in those advanced formats, Comcast subs will need a 4K-capable X1 box and a 4K television."

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    FS1 will also have a preview show on Wednesday (tomorrow) at 7 ET. It will be an hour long.

11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Meh.

I was entertained by their Copa Centenario and Confederations Coverage.
    I think they will be fine.
    Not emmy award wining quality but just fine.

13. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I cannot listen to Lalas. Can't do it. And it's only been since his move to FOX that I've begun not liking him - not a longtime hater.

All my build-up, preview coverage will be BBC/podcasts/etc. Most live video via Telemundo. I don't need much in-match analysis, I just need not be annoyed.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #139 HomietheClown, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Dish is going to announce soon that matches will be in 4K HDR. So that to me is the tie breaker.
    I was going to watch Telemundo as my primary Network but I want to watch my first tournament in Ultra High Definition.

If things do get bad though I will probably turn on Furbol de primera radio or any other tunein radio station that is not blocked in our region.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I just heard some very interesting news...

...Sunday's match between Brazil and Switzerland will be simulcasted on both Telemundo and NBC Sports Network.

I was wondering if they were going to do something like that.
    I think it is pretty cool they decided to simulcast on an English Language Sports Network.
    Maybe they can even tick off FOX even more and do a simulcast of the Final on NBC in Spanish.:D

QPR Kevin H and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  16. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Looking forward to all the MAGA-heads complaining about a Spanish-language broadcast on an English-langue channel, although I doubt many of them are soccer viewers. This happened last year when ESPN only had the Spanish-language rights to the World Baseball Classic, and with the USA making the final they decided to show the Deportes telecast on ESPN2, which led to this:

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/rea...laining-espn-spanish-language-wbc-rights.html

17. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    While eyes were on NBCSN showing matches in Spanish, I discovered that Fox Deportes will show all the matches on same-day-delay with English commentary!!

My World Cup TV page lists all delayed broadcasts as well as live. As far as I know, I'm the only place to find these (at least on a single page).

http://soccertvblog.com/worldcup-tv/

SA

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there will be a little less push back since it is the World Cup and people are expecting Andres Cantor to yell" GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" like he did during the Super Bowl commercial.

Baseball is a bit more touchy since it is or was considered America's past time.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #144 HomietheClown, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Very interesting.

I still would have rather have had the option for Portuguese instead like ESPN Deportes used to have but another channel for same day delayed broadcast is always cool in my book. Great to have options.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Take a shot every time the 2026 World Cup is mentioned on FOX during the next month. It'll make it more tolerable. :)

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    NBC should have really made CHUDs explode by purchasing and airing in Arabic :)

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's certainly going to be a nice boost for their coverage this Summer

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #148 QPR Kevin H, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Good rundown

Kicker for me:

"Fox has six commentary teams, but only two are in Russia: John Strong and Stu Holden, and JP Dellacamera and Tony Meola. Telemundo’s entire cast is in Russia, led by play-by-play veteran Andrés Cantor."

And this really sucks:

"SiriusXM, a subscription satellite radio and online streaming service, will simulcast the audio of Fox’s TV broadcasts."

Particularly with the BBC seemingly tighter with their protections against VPNing in to their commentaries from abroad. Talksport might work via VPN -- just a shame SiriusXM won't be picking up their commentary.

(and yes as a dad of two I end up having to listen in the car a lot, particularly between 8am and 4pm)

HomietheClown repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is great info.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For the few of us who have Dish....
    .... 4K HDR matches are already being listed on the Hopper 3 DVR through next Thursday on the program Guide.
    For some reason the Germany-Mexico match is not showing up but from what I am hearing that will change come Sunday.
    It seems like Dish (just like DirecTV ) is going to make available every match live in 4K HDR which is even better news than I was expecting.

daniloni repped this.