World Cup 2018 Russia

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by HomietheClown, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Yes. That's why they got 2026 at discount in no bid process.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Telemundo's newest World Cup Promo.

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kind of interested to see an in-play "Copa Mundial" banner ad during NBC's coverage of the Stanley Cup last night. With details about watching the World Cup on Telemundo. Comcast/NBC Universal seems like they are pumping up their Spanish language service to Anglos as an alternative to FOX.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes indeed.
    And I think it is great.

5. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    So the World Cup WILL be available in the US in 4K...but you have to buy a Hisense TV???

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/05/...ils-about-foxs-4k-streaming-app-from-hisense/

The way I read this: FOX has access to the 4K signal but chooses to do an exclusive with a TV brand rather than have fans access it thru their usual providers. That's pretty crappy. Of course, who is to say that DirecTV, Dish or Comcast would allocate a 4K channel for them but still...

Valid question: If its on their Fox Sports Go App, why can't we all have access? Is there really something so proprietary on the Hisense TV that allows ONLY it to show this content?

I got questions...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You should read my posts in this thread that address this.

According to the rumors I am hearing it is up to the providers to decide which matches they want to present on their 4K channels.
    The latest rumor I heard is that Dish is going to show all the Fox Sports 1 games in 4K and 4K HDR on their respective channels that were put up a few weeks ago.

I am not sure about the other providers.

As for the proprietary app on Hisense it does kind of suck for those who want to stream it in 4K but I view it a lot like the alternate language exclusivity that Sling tv has with Polish, Arabic, Portuguese and French.

It was another way for FOX to recoup some of the money they lost since the USA did not qualify. (At least that is my theory.)

7. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Sorry but I cannot equate a 4K video signal with the alternate language choices. Two different worlds. Access to 4K is much more important and as far as TV set sales go, the new standard in TV viewing (or soon to be). Not taking the 4K produced signal from FIFA is one thing but taking the signal and not widely distributing it is inexcusable!

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see it as inexcusable.
    How many people even have 4K tvs? How many of them are World Cup fans? How many of them want to stream the World Cup in 4K?

It does not make much sense for FOX to cater to that small sample of people. Especially when they can make a buck off a company like Hisense and many Americans don't care since the USA is not in the Cup anyway.

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not to mention they want people to watch on TV to boost ratings.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  10. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Feels like you are living in 2016, bro.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #112 HomietheClown, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    What is your point?

Are you telling me that there's going to be millions of people clamoring for 4K World Cup Steaming content?????

I don't buy what you are selling. in 2018 or 2016,

BocaFan and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  13. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBCUniversal, Telemundo’s parent company, paid $600 million in rights fees to accept nearly seven years ago. It’s one that could be helped, rather than hurt, by the failure of the U.S. to qualify.

14. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    At least thru the opening few days, it seems to be true. I started updating my World Cup page which will list delayed broadcast information.

http://soccertvblog.com/worldcup-tv/

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I notice you also have Fox Sports plus listed. Do you mean Fox Soccer plus?

Either way it is good to know there's going to be multiple replays for people who need to see the matches after work.

Do you know yet what the onDemand options will look like Socceraction?
    I know Comcast had all the Univision matches available on their receivers last couple cycles.

Just wondering how things shape up this time around.

16. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Corrected.

Probably won't know until the very tournament...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I notice that Telemundo has some OnDemand content on my Dish Hopper receiver available. (Just some fluff preview stuff and Brazil review stuff so far.)

Hopefully matches or 90 in 30 types are available during the tournament.

18. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think it's going to be a great World Cup for Telemundo, but the US is a good draw for Spanish language networks too. 6.5 million watched US-Portugal on Univision in 2014. 4.8 million for US-Ghana. And US matches do well for Spanish language networks in huge markets like LA and Houston.

I think Telemundo will miss the US in the group stage, but their success is obviously more tied to Mexico. Also, like FOX, Telemundo should be shooting for WC2010 numbers, not 2014.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    And Andres Cantor and company has always rooted for the USA. He is pretty bummed that they did not make it.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is there a big difference between 2016 and now? I know technology is improving at an insane pace, but TVs are not like phones - they don't turn to garbage in 2 years forcing you to buy the new one.

The TV I bought 12 years ago is so good that I still have it (as my #2). A part of me actually wants it to fail so I have the excuse to get a bigger, more advanced TV. But picture quality-wise it is still perfect. :(

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #122 HomietheClown, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    This could be a reason why it is taking so long to announce 4K content on Cable and Satellite providers:

"Back to CenturyLink’s involvement, the company has been working closely with local telecoms in Russia and the International Broadcast Center that puts together the source feeds for the broadcasters, Bill Wohnoutka, vice president of global internet and content delivery services for CenturyLink, explained, noting that CenturyLink will work with its broadcast partners to deliver content in multiple formats, including standard- and high-definition as well as 4K.

In addition to transmission, CenturyLink’s Vyvx platform will also handle encoding, decoding, onsite operations, monitoring, and frame-rate conversion.

Getting those logistics lined up alongside the security requirements present some of the big challenges around this year’s World Cup, as “it’s pretty complicated to get content out of Russia, Wohnoutka added.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/u-s-latin-american-networks-tap-centurylink-live-world-cup-feeds

22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Via the Fox Sports Go App, there will be 5 additional "Bonus Feeds" for each World Cup match:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/06/04/world-cup-will-feature-6-different-feeds-match-fox-sports-app/

Pretty cool. But what is a drawback on these types of feeds that we have seen on the ESPN app in the past, is the lack of 'sync' between the match and the feeds. Nothing you can't overcome by pausing the live match for 5-30 seconds so that they overlap nicely, but without doing that, it's not very useful.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

HomietheClown and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a big fan of those cams in general but they may come in handy if the match up is lack luster or a blowout occurs.

Those extra cam feeds and highlight features may keep me entertained a bit longer than the actual game probably would.

24. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Maybe my own personal bubble, but feel like everybody is getting them lately and prices for really big sets w/4K are getting quite affordable.