Pre-match: World Cup 2018 Group Stage Prediction

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Gilbertsson, Nov 16, 2017.

1. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    So only the Euro and South American teams will advance?

2. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    A token African side joins the party!

3. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Mexico should be honored to join the awesome Euro and CONMEBOL teams.

4. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    A: Egypt, Russia
    B: Spain, Portugal
    C: France, Denmark
    D: Croatia, Argentina
    E: Brazil, Serbia
    F: Germany, Mexico
    G: Belgium, England
    H: Colombia, Poland

:geek::geek::geek:

Nico777 repped this.
  5. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    At least you think 2 non-UEFA/CONMEBOL will advance (which last happened in 1998). Good for you.

6. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    All are free to think whatever they want lol no?
    Maybe you have teams from europe that come back with stronger squads than these last years?

7. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    #82 12th Player, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Every WC we have folks (including the so-called media "experts") making the same reflexive predictions that see virtually no non-Euro/CONMEBOL team advancing. And every WC these minnows somehow make it in numbers. Yet every WC comes around these folks make the same, predictable predictions. As the saying goes, the more things change, the more things stay the same.

8. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Sure, we are all free to think what we want. That's why this thread exists, right? And maybe some are right. Maybe UEFA and COMMEBOL teams are extra strong this cycle than in previous ones. Or maybe such thinking comes out of a long-ingrained arrogance that is blind to the changed landscape. Maybe.

vancity eagle repped this.
  9. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    We will see in few months if they are right or not.

But what happened in 2014 is irrelevant. .it is about who got who to perform right now. Not about 4 or 8 years ago.

A nation like Colombia was not qualified in 2002 2006 and 2010 and they reached 1/4 in 2014...so....they are not the first that have done that.

10. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    At least 2 non-UEFA/CONMEBOL teams have made the R16 ever since R16 came into existence. In the last 4 WCs, we had 5, 3, 5 & 5 non-UEFA/CONMEBOL teams advancing.

Sure, every WC is a fresh start. What happened previously doesn't matter. Nonetheless, there is a pattern of usual pre-tourney predictions and the usual actual results. And this disjunction between the two tell a story--a story that rears its head every WC.

vancity eagle repped this.
  11. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    I don't care where they come from. It is judged by the actual team and how I think they will perform in their fixtures.

Group A and C are the only two I'm unsure about. You never know what Uruguay are going to do (a decade ago I would have said they would win this group blindfolded) nor have I seen Saudi Arabia play for a very long time, while my choices are more hopeful than anything as I want Egypt to be a fairytale team and Russia to go through for the sake of their fans and the tournament. In Group C I don't believe Argentina are that good as a team but their ridiculously high-quality players will get them through at least in 2nd. I'm backing Croatia but would love it if Nigeria got through as they are exciting or if Iceland can win everyone over again as the fan favourite. I'm also now personally invested in Croatia - Nigeria having bought my flights after the draw :D too. Serbia qualifying from group E is because I think they will beat Costa Rica in their opener and then Switzerland (tired from their Brazil match). Brazil defeating Germany in the final.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Last WC in Europe had only Australia and Ghana make out of the group stage of your so called non-Euro/CONMEBOL teams not counting Mexico. In 98, another WC in Europe, it was ONLY Nigeria.

And yeah, these predictions are only opinions, nobody is being cocky about their picks here.

13. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Not counting Mexico, huh? Somehow they are exempt from being a non-Euro/CONMEBOL team? Why is that?

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mexico are not a minnow. I personally always pick Mexico to go on to the 2nd round and a lot of people do as well. If the USA are in there I strongly consider them to.

15. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    #90 12th Player, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    We can sit here and as reasonable people make reasonable arguments why Serbia will beat Costa Rica and vice versa. Based on our own individual assessment of individual teams, no matter where they come from. Both sides would have valid reasons for their thinking. That's the fun of this whole prediction thing, right?

But somehow these predictions, which at micro level seem informed and well-reasoned, taken collectively say the same thing every WC: that there is a continuing underestimation of non-UEFA/CONMEBOL teams.

16. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    So you are saying that you would consider all non-UEFA/CONMEBOL teams automatically as minnows? That's why you excluded Mexico from this discussion about non-UEFA/CONMEBOL teams? Okay.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, nobody in their right mind would have predicted Cost Rica in 2014. I am not picking them this time because I've read they've dropped in form a bit and the Swiss have been pretty damn consistent. South Korea also is a team analysis are saying are not that good. I could probably tip Japan to have a chance, but the CAF teams are typically a huge crap shoot trying to predict them. Unfortunately for Nigeria and Morocco who seem to be the stronger of those teams, they fell into hard groups.

Yeah sometimes you see a very unexpected team making it through, but try to predict which one.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I also consider some CONMEBOL and UEFA teams minnows. But yes I do, because none of those teams have any decent history of making out of the groups stages not to mention making to the WC.

19. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    It's very likely that a non-UEFA/Conmebol team qualifies to the playoffs. But the probability of each team is low.

20. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mexico

21. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    After the surprise of Costa Rica in Brazil 2014 , nothing is written and everything can happen. Good luck !

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think many people are overrating Costa Rica because of this. Costa Rica were not really that good of a team.

They beat Uruguay without Suarez, Gimenez, Gonzalez, and Lodeiro. Gonzalez and Lodeiro came on later but it was after Costa Rica were already ahead.

They beat Italy in very hot weather, and Italy was just not very good then. Prandelli played a few players out of position, and the team was suffering from unrest with many players playing for themselves and not for the team.

Then they just beat Greece on penalties, and drew with Holland and lost on penalties. Let me point out I don't think Holland was that great either. Van Gaal did a tactical masterpiece against Spain and Chile, but other than that they were not very impressive.

I mean Mexico should have beaten them if it wasn't from the Robben dive. They drew with Costa Rica, and lost to Argentina on penalties.

23. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Ok in WC the teams that should make it don't make it 100% of the time. There's always surprises (lets say 20%).
    With this in mind:
    Group A: Russia, Egypt
    Group B: Portugal, Morocco
    Group C: France, Denmark
    Group D: Croatia, Argentina
    Group E: Brazil, Serbia
    Group F: Germany, Korea
    Group G: Belgium, England
    Group H: Colombia, Senegal.

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club: