World Cup 2014 Player Ratings

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He slipped my mind, but I definitely wanted to rate him, his partner on the left was good as well, they were very important in CR style of play.

Fullback

Cristain Gamboa (Costa Rica) **
    Junior Diaz (Costa Rica) *

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I liked watching both Aguilar and Herrera of Mexico. They linked up extremely well together on Mexico's right hand side. Whether either, or both, would warrant inclusion individually I'm not 100% certain but I'd give both a * star.

Also, I thought Ivan Perisic was one of the better performers unfortunately eliminated with his team mates after the 1st round of group matches.

3. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    In the first half i had De Vrij one point above Vlaar, so i think is fair to said to i should give De Vrij also a 7 this match.
    About Robben i see him having less involved in the whole game, in comparison to previous matches. But as you said, he created the chances of all three goals. And honestly, in all the "few" moments he could run, we can smell that another goal has been coming. So it fair to claim an 8 for him.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, he also said he was exhausted (not helped by only two resting days) and totally empty. He also showed his legs directly after the game :eek: (he wanted to make the point he's no 'pussy').

I had the same impression as you, but strangely OPTA showed this.

[​IMG]

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/world-cup-2014-player-ratings.2006312/page-8#post-30723888

msioux75 repped this.
  5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Nice ranking, Tom.

My thoughs:
    - I'd give 1 star to van Persie, due to his last matches.
    - Di María, arguably 2 stars. I think, Lavezzi deserves 1 star.
    - I tend to rate Messi and Oscar as equal, more than 2 stars gap.
    - Arguably, Vidal also 2 stars.
    - I don't see Lahm's first matches. But for KO rounds he deserves 3 stars.
    - Garay played as good as the top CBs. Demichelis deserved a mention.
    - Bravo needs to be in the GKs list.

6. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I went back and forth on RVP with 1 or 2 stars.

I would be more likely to raise Oscar a star than drop Messi. Although I don't think Messi should have won the golden ball I feel like he definitely deserves *** as the top chance creator of the tournament and having multiple game deciding moments in a weak offense for a team that made the final.

I thought Vidal was great against Brazil but the first two group stage games he was very average and still recovering from an injury, not enough for ** imo.

Lahm and Garay were both borderline *** for me, I went back and forth on their ratings. Demichelis is another one I struggled with, as he only played three games. But seeing they were the most important ones and he played well in all of them I would agree * is appropriate.

Looking back Bravo and Enyeama should probably both get * for goalkeepers.

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Yeah,
    I guess, Demicheli's case was due to playing < 50% matches.
    Is the same case for Lavezzi?

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It's good to mention Oscar indeed. He had a weak match against Mexico and Chile to a lesser extent but I think he finished the tournament strong (last two/three matches where he was best midfield/forward player of Brazil; even against Germany).

msioux75 repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I also think Nigel de Jong has to be mentioned among the good performing DMs.

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    L'Equipe's team of the tournament

Navas; Lahm, Hummels, Yepes, Guardado; Schweinsteiger, Rodriguez, Di Maria; Robben, Neymar, Muller

Fairly bizarre choice of Guardado at left-back.

royg1 repped this.
  11. royg1

royg1 New Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    i couldn't agree more!

12. royg1

royg1 New Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    he didn't do anything to justify is reputation. in my opinion he woke up too late...

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    My own team of the tournament:

Navas; Zabaleta, Hummels, Vlaar, Blind; Kroos, Mascherano; Muller, Rodriguez, Robben; Messi

Subs: Neuer, Lahm, Garay, Gonzalez, Rojo, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Cuadrado, Neymar, Sanchez, Benzema

Breitner'sWig, msioux75 and Once repped this.
  14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Some more teams of the tournament:

Daniel Taylor: (4-2-3-1): Neuer; Lahm, Vlaar, Hummels, Blind; Mascherano, Kroos; Robben, Neymar, Rodríguez: Müller.

Barney Ronay: (4-2-3-1) Keylor Navas; Philipp Lahm, Ron Vlaar, Mats Hummels, Júnior Díaz; Javier Mascherano, Toni Kroos; Lionel Messi, James Rodríguez, Arjen Robben; Thomas Müller

Paolo Bandini: (4-2-3-1) Tim Howard; Philipp Lahm, Mats Hummels, Ezequiel Garay, Ricardo Rodríguez; Javier Mascherano, Toni Kroos; Thomas Müller, James Rodríguez, Lionel Messi; Neymar

http://www.theguardian.com/football...cup-2014-guardian-writers-best-moments-brazil

Match of the Day: Neuer; Lahm, Gonzalez, Hummels, Blind; Kroos, Mascherano; Messi, Rodriguez, Robben; Muller

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28256147

Once repped this.
  15. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Varane probably deserves a star as well in the CB category.

16. 19Scirea82

19Scirea82 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i believe hummels would personally give varane 2 stars. let's not get carried away.

17. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Varane hardly lost any duel in this WC except the one you refer to.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The top 20 by the largest sportspaper over here. It's biased to Dutch players, but one sees that with many sports publications:

I agree with them though that De Vrij was overall as good as Vlaar... as also 'WhoScored', 'OPTA' and Fifa their Castrol sponsored metrics/algorithm all independently agree. Vlaar has currently the EPL and 'badass' bonus though (and some media maybe like to keep newcomers/Eredivisie small?).

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/o...ow/Team-Focus-World-Cup-2014-Highest-Rated-XI
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/index.html

19. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    This is the team of the tournament as selected by "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (Germany's largest national subscription daily newspaper):

----------------------------------------------Müller
    ----------------------Neymar
    -----------------Messi------------James----------Robben
    -----------------------Kroos---------------Mascherano

----------------Medel------------Hummels-----------Vlaar

-------------------------------------Neuer

This is their "worst team of the tournament" (4-5-1)

Casillas - Azpilicueta, Ramos, Piqué, Alba - Alonso, Xavi, Busquets, Silva, Iniesta - Costa

;)

Once repped this.
  20. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    comme repped this.
  21. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    #221 Lucas..., Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Revista Placar

Golden Ball: Arjen Robben
    1 Robben 7,29 7matches
    2 Messi 7,21 7matches
    3 James Rodríguez 7,20 5matches
    4 Schürrle 7,20 5matches
    5 Müller 7,14 7matches
    6 Götze 7,13 4matches
    7 Kroos 7,07 7matches
    8 Navas 7,00 5matches
    9 Hummels 6,92 6matches
    10 Schweinsteiger 6,92 6matches

Team of the Tournament: Keylor Navas; Lahm, Hummels, Vlaar, Blind; Schweinsteiger, Mascherano, Kroos, James Rodriguez; Messi, Robben

http://placar.abril.com.br/materia/conheca-a-selecao-placar-da-copa-do-mundo-2014

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    My Team:

Navas; Lahm, Hummels, De Vrij, Blind; Mascherano, Kroos; Robben, Rodríguez; Neymar; Müller

Cheating slightly by moving Kroos back but with Mascherano holding he would have freedom to move forward.

23. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    While browsing this 1970 issue I noticed an interesting comparison between the 1954 outfit and the 1970 outfit of the German national team. It was noted that the 1954 shoes weighed 400 gram. The 1970 shoe only 240 gram. A difference of 160 gram may not sound like a big deal but as experts had calculated back then, carrying an extra weight of 160 gram with every step meant that a player in 1954 carried an extra weight of more than one tonne compared to a player in 1970 (accumulated over 90 minutes). This is another setback that "modernists" do seldomly take into account when commenting on football of the past!

JamesBH11 repped this.
  24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    nice points

25. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks pretty consistent and agreeable. We're spoilt for choice with a few keepers and the full backs are up for debate but I can't argue with the consistent Mascherano-Kroos pairing and Hummels at centre back. Benzema and van Persie had their moments and of course Klose hit his landmark but I agree that there is no stand out natural striker this time so some permutation of the other four makes perfect sense. Neymar would be the fifth.

I think what worked for Vlaar is not that we know and love him here in England but that we've never seen anything like that level of performance from him for Villa. It appeared as though he raised his game for the occassion and I think people have admired that while enjoying the surprise. Of course the same may be true of de Vrij but you can't appreciate the change if you didn't know him so well before.

My team:

---------------Müller
    Messi--------James-------Robben
    ------Mascherano---Kroos
    Blind---Vlaar---Hummels---Lahm
    ---------------Navas

B team:
    ------------------van Persie
    Di Maria-------Neymar-------Cuadrado
    -----Schweinsteiger---Pogba
    Rodriguez---De Vrij---Garay---Zabaleta
    ---------------Neuer

A few honourable mentch:
    Ochoa, Howard, Romero
    Benzema
    Valbuena
    Alexis Sanchez
    Enner Valencia
    Marquez
    Gervinho
    Cahill
    Rojo
    Yepes
    Shaquiri
    Pjanic
    Boateng for his final
    Oscar for persisting
    Thiago Silva for putting up with David Luiz
    Cameroon for the laughs
    Honduras for sparing us our lives
    All of Algeria - Slimani, Fegouhli, M'Bohli, the left back who's name I forget, all fantastic

And finally I've not read enough being said about Andre Schürrle - he was given less than half an hour in the groups, seeing out both wins. Then in 4 sub appearances in the knock outs he broke the deadlock against Algeria, saw out the win vs France, scored both goals after he came on vs Brazil including a bit of a screamer and set up the winning goal in the final. So 3 goals and an assist without even a start and the only two times was asked to make a difference he delivered.

msioux75 repped this.