World Cup 2010 Qualifying Groups Draw

Discussion in 'Poland' started by karny9, Nov 19, 2007.

1. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    The draw for the groups for qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa takes place on November 25th, 2007 in Durban, South Africa.

The UEFA qualifying zone will be made up of eight groups of six teams and one group of five.

As of last month's calculations and updates, the FIFA men's zonal rankings for Europe are as follow, with each cluster of teams representing lottery pots in ascendign order:

Pot 1
    Italy
    France
    Germany
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Czech Republic
    Croatia
    England

Pot 2
    Romania
    Scotland
    Greece
    Russia
    Poland
    Norway
    Ukraine
    Sweden
    Serbia

Pot 3
    Turkey
    Denmark
    Republic of Ireland
    Bulgaria
    Northern Ireland
    Israel
    Switzerland
    Finland
    Hungary

Pot 4
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Slovakia
    Belgium
    Cyprus
    Wales
    Moldova
    Albania
    Georgia
    FYR MAcedonia

Pot 5
    Slovenia
    Iceland
    Armenia
    Latvia
    Austria
    Lithuania
    Belarus
    Azerbaijan
    Liechtenstein

Pot 6
    Kazakhstan
    Estonia
    Malta
    Luxembourg
    Montenegro
    Andorra
    Faroe Islands
    San Marino

Key Notes
    Only the top 9 teams of each group go through automatically. Unlike the qualifying round for last summer's world cup, the best 8 of the remaining 9 runners-up in each group will square off in a home and away playoff round.
    The November FIFA men's zonal rankings for Europe will be released after the draw this weekend and so the above pots are set. This means that Poland cannot hope to be grouped with Romania instead of England as there is no possibility for the former to leapfrog the latter in the rankings.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=27275&rank=162

Thanks to Wyszkowiak from www.polishsoccer.com for the information!

Now the best and worst case scenarios for Poland's lottery draw in my eyes:

Best Possible Group:
    Croatia
    Poland
    Hungary
    Moldova
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

Worst Possible Group
    Italy
    Poland
    Israel/Turkey
    Belgium
    Austria
    Kazakhstan

2. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Honestly your worst possible group doesn't look that scary. True, teams like Belgium and Austria will be better than they were in the last two qualifiers when we faced them, and the Kazaks are always somewhat inconvenient. But Israel is very much beatable despite improvments and a one or two good players.

My toughest group for Poland:

Germany/Italy
    ROI/Finland
    Belgium
    Belarus
    Kazakhstan

Easiest:

Croatia
    Hungary
    Cyprus
    Lichtenstein
    San Marino

As it always the case it will be something no one expects, though!

3. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    In my opinion

Toughest draw:
    Spain
    Poland
    Denmark
    Slovakia
    Belarus
    Montenegro

Easiest:
    Czech Republic
    Poland
    Northern Ireland
    Moldova
    Liechtenstein
    Andorra

Not that I consider Spain, Denmark or Belarus the best sides in their pots, but I simply think these teams' style of play would be especially hard for our boys. Even when Denmark was in decline, they usually could beat us, Spain has lot of wonderful talent what doesn't suit our team which is rather technically poor and also Belarus used to make a lot of problems for us. On the other side, I think Czechs without Nedved, Poborsky and so on will not be so talented as young Croatian side with Srna, Modric or Eduardo still getting better and better. I also think Northern Ireland will not repreat their good form in next qualifications because they lack quality.

However I will take every draw without big optimism or pesimism because Euro 2008 qualification campaign shown us that we can take 4 points against Portugal and 3 against Armenia and 1 against Finland and - how our commentators often say - "they are no weak opponents anymore" :)

4. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    I think you're really underestimating Israel. They have had very positive results in qualifying for both the World Cup and Euro Cup in recent years and they are going to be even better in the next few years with a pretty strong U-21 squad. I would much rather play Ireland than Turkey, Israel or Switzerland. Though I do agree with you on Finland, their defensive style under Hodgson is very effective.

5. tfc4ever

tfc4ever New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Updated groups

Posted 23-11-2007 08:50 AM IP Reply with quote Edit Post Delete post-New post-

Pot 1
    Italy
    France
    Germany
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Czech Republic
    Croatia
    Greece

Pot 2
    England
    Romania
    Scotland
    Turkey
    Bulgaria
    Russia
    Poland
    Sweden
    Israel

Pot 3
    Norway
    Ukraine
    Serbia
    Denmark
    Northern Ireland
    Republic of Ireland
    Finland
    Switzerland
    Belgium

Pot 4
    Slovakia
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Hungary
    Moldova
    Wales
    FYR MAcedonia
    Belarus
    Lithuania
    Cyprus

Pot 5
    Georgia
    Albania
    Slovenia
    Latvia
    Iceland
    Armenia
    Austria
    Kazakhstan
    Azerbaijan

Pot 6
    Liechtenstein
    Estonia
    Malta
    Luxembourg
    Montenegro
    Andorra
    Faroe Islands
    San Marino

6. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Group 3
    Czech Rep
    Poland
    Northern Ireland
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    San Marino

7. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Very good draw for us. Not much traveling, meaning that our fans can fill opponent's stadiums. If we don't make it to the playoffs at least there is something wrong with us, and we'll have a chance against the Czechs as well.

8. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yeah I agree. We should definitely be a play-off team in this group, and can contend for first.

9. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    I think it's an ok draw. Slovenia was a WC qualifier in 02. Slovakia is an ok side. Northern Ireland is the real darkhorse, who knows how they will play. I do like the fact that we got the Czechs though. It's important to win against the middle tier teams so as to avoid being the one 2nd place team that doesnt make the playoffs. It could be a lot worse though.

Here are the other groups:
    Group 1: Malta, Albania, Hungary, Denmark, Sweden, Portugal
    Group 2: Luxembourg, Latvia, Moldova, Switzerland, Israel, Greece
    Group 3: San Marino, Slovenia, Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Poland, Czech Republic
    Group 4: Lichtenstein, Azerbaijan, Wales, Finland, Russia, Germany
    Group 5: Estonia, Armenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belgium, Turkey, Spain
    Group 6: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Ukraine, England, Croatia
    Group 7: Faroe Islands, Austria, Lithuania, Serbia, Romania, France
    Group 8: Montenegro, Georgia, Cyprus, Ireland, Bulgaria, Italy
    Group 9: Iceland, Macedonia, Norway, Scotland, Netherlands

Greece with a weak group again...Italy also has a pretty weak one.

10. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    With Northern Ireland the key will be to neutralize Healy, not an easy task, but I am sure Leo will come up with something. As for Slovenia and Slovakia, their recent form has been average at best, and in a home and home series with the Czechs I realistically think we can split the points.

11. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I can't believe how weak is that Greece group. Not one traditional power, lots of very dark horses and outsiders. But otherwise this is a very balanced draw.

I agree NI can be tough, but I don't see them causing us problems. We beat them twice four years ago, we'll do it again. Slovenia is just a shadow of the team they were in 2002, and they weren't that good then either. I'm a little worried about Slovakia, but we should be ready for them.

12. NumberSoul

NumberSoul New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I think we can even be first in the group Czech isn't the team it use to be, and I believe with Beenhakker and from learning own mistakes from previous qualifiers we should be in World Cup 2010.

13. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    took the words from my mouth :)

14. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of their key players aren't getting any younger, it should be interesting seeing who steps up for them, with that said the Czech squad is still favorites

15. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    remember their u-20 won silver medal this year on the world cup.

16. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea but a lot of U-20 players don't amount to anything... its the ones that do step up and become something. there are so many great u-20 players out there, but only a few actually become something of themselves. so it should be interesting seeing if 2 or 3 of those guys can step it up over the next few years

17. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    i love this 'Slav' group

not a lot of travel to mess with team preparations and we were bound to have a difficult time with whoever was the top seed

18. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true story

19. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have a good chance of qualifying, even a possibility of getting the top seed but thats jumping the gun. Not far off from the Euro 2008 draw now so hopefully that'll turn out well also.

20. Sopot26

Sopot26 New Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Sopot - Chicago
    Overall a good draw:
    - Limited travel for players and fans, which is a good thing
    - Very strong Czech team, but before Euro qualifying we said the same about Portugal, so the Czech intimidation factor, should be gone

Personally, if we have a good Euro 2008, we should be OK; if we play poorly we will have to do some rebuilding very quickly and that can get us into trouble.

21. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there won't be much rebuilding to be honest... we have some good young players that are playing at decent to good clubs everywhere for every position. its perfect though right now because we have the youthful charisma in the younger players and the experienced veterans. it is a perfect blend because in the big games the veterans will be there to calm down the young guys, and in the games that don't mean as much the younger guys will have the energy to motivate the older players in the matches that don't mean as much. i am not worried about not being successful. i don't think we will win the Euro, but i think we will do a damn good job and take some good countries down in the process :) with the retirement of Sobolewski it allows time for other players to step up for the spot he vacated so there is one less question mark of older players that might not be there for the WC 2010... Krzynowek and Zurawski i think will be question marks that will need to be answered eventually, if their bodies can hold up long enough to compete at the high level they do.

22. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Will Beenhakker be there in 2010? If he's not, they will go out in the group stage even if they qualify......which they should.

23. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    I'm pretty sure the contract goes until the end of qualifying for the WC, and if they qualify I am positive that they would extend his contract to cover the WC.

24. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Yes, the contract has been extended through the WC qualifiers. Still, it doesn't mean that someone else with deep pockets can't buy Leo out.

25. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I'd be much more worried about this prospect. Obviously we have to qualify first but hmm I wonder what circumstances would exist that he'd want out with a newly qualified national team? I mean its almost impossible that a nation that qualified would fire their coach and then pursue Leo and it seems like he'd want to spend his time coaching another world cup but I don't know. I should probably slow up on the paranoia for now.