News: Woody’s Roundup - The Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United are clearly interested in Maguire and that's fine, I suppose. But surely there would be absolutely no way that we'd end up shelling out 90mil for him. It's pretty clear that Leicester are replicating what we are doing with Pogs.
    They're not keen on selling him and therefore have slapped a massive price tag on him. If someone wants to pay it, they'll let him (they've already got potential replacements lined up in Tarkowski or Dunk reportedly, with plenty of money to spare to boot). But common sense really dictates we walk away from this and look at other options. The same applies with Longstaff as well: 50mil is simply not acceptable, any way you look at it. In both cases, that is not just overpaying, that is being taken for a ride...

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LC will sell Maguire unless we're totally lowballing them. They know he wants to leave and his value isn't ever going to be higher than it is now. They know we're desperate and one of the few clubs that wouldn't tell them to feck off at their 80 mil evaluation. It'll get done.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on cue of course, there are now rumors coming from Duncan Castles that Maguire has left Leicester's preseason camp, on his way to get his medical with United, which should happen within the next 48hrs. Stay tuned I guess: if there is any truth to this, it will get confirmed pretty quickly, I imagine.

4. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruno won't happen, deal is dead in the water.

Ed thinks he's not worth the price for a player "Lacking Champions League Experience".

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    link?

6. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just spent 45 on a player with out any European experience full stop, doubt he cares about Bruno’s resume that much.

7. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If true, it could mean a couple of things. Pogba is about get a brand new deal, or that Woodward couldn't get the deal done, so he is now running with a crappy "explanation".

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't buy it either. what European experience did Lukaku have? that was sanctioned under Woodward. likewise Martial?

if that really is the case why Bissaka and especially Maguire then??

9. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unconvinced by Maguire. Don't mind overpaying dramatically for someone who would fit the moment.

Buying an S level talent for that much would make sense. Because there is a chance the player will be at that level when we need them, several years down the track.

Overpaying for a 26 year old who no one thinks has loads of potential for right now doesn't make sense. When for the foreseeable future we are looking at 8th-3rd.

If we had citys squad and we wanted someone for right now to round out the squad or deepen it then Maguire makes sense.

Not sure why we are doing this. But then that's root of all problems for us.

10. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    We still have big problems if we go into the season with Matic/McT as our 6s, which we will unless something shocking happens. However, I appreciate the defensive upgrades; AWB in particular is the type of signing a lot of us have been advocating for.

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The root causes of a lot of our problems is our inability to dominate the middle of the pitch.

If we cant even come out on top in that area against the likes of Wolves for example we will be in for a long hard season that will be a tough watch again.

We lost Herrera and Fellaini - so there is no excuse for Woodward not to reinforce. He has to get two CMs (a #6 and an #8) or he has failed the club again for me.

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is no buyer for Pogba in 2019

Utd need to receive well over 100m just to get their ££ back in inflation adjusted terms, let alone a premium for a talent who now has 3 years of elite EPL data and a world cup behind him.

Real clearly already spent 200m and have no headroom this season unless a deal is heavily structured, and at least not until they clear out more players to raise Euros

Barca spent their ££. PSG are the only other team that could raise the money. Juve are too poor.

This will be worked out in a grownup way next summer IMO

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yep. Failure to sign anyone so far seems bizarre. No preseason.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The trouble is, who is that player?

City acquired the supposed english generational talent in Stones. Utd foolishly let Liverpool snap up VVD - and it looks like they got him undervalued. I don't see any other "Rio" opportunity in England right now. Beyond that, De Ligt is going to parked at Juve first so piggy can pull his usual TPO scam ...

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Que?

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    think he means Raiola and some way to get himself a(nother) fat cheque

Deadtigers, topnoevili, jnielsen and 3 others repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    TPO = third party ownership

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumors about Fernandes are still pretty much all over the shop at the moment, depending on who is reporting them.

https://www.football365.com/news/fernandes-updates-man-utd-remain-wide-of-mark-on-e70m-man

Still of the opinion that if a deal is to happen, it won't surprise me if it happens late, close to the deadline. I think Woodward is hoping to wear Sporting down and get him at a lower fee than what they want.
    Don't know what the club's financial situation is at the moment, but the issues they had last season are well documented, so we'll see.

20. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Are we the only one interested in Fernandes? If some other team comes at last hour and sneak past us it would be hilarious but it wouldnt surprise most of us.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be fair, everyone thought that Pool overpaid for VVD at the time. He was good, not great for Sampton but not many predicted he'd make such a huge leap forward like he has. But fair play to them, they identified a guy they liked and spent what they thought he was worth.

As far as guys you overpay for now that have that S or A level potential....

Skriniar
    Romagnoli
    Upamecano
    Konate
    Diop

At least those are the guys I see that are attainable and are worth overpaying for.

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Romangnoli seems like he is stagnating. Really needs to push on this season and become the guy most people thought he would.

For me, Skriniar is the best of them, but dont think he is S level talent.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sorry Mizzou, none of those dudes have S level potential. Not in a modern historical context.

They only do once you adjust the curve across the board, by raising some of the more decently talented CBs around to a higher tier.

MizzouMUFC and benni... repped this.
  24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You're right. I guess my S level categorization is more relative to the current CBs in the world rather than rated historically over time.

Tiers and levels aside, those are the guys I personally think have the highest potential of the young (Skriniar not exactly too young) CBs in the world not already at their final clubs.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Personally I think SAF would move for a generational talent regardless of position. There is no english generational talent at CB right now.

A SAF type move would be to go big on Kane and/or Dele Ali. Or Sterling before that.

Now I don't know if SAF would have rated those players highly enough - but it is the kind of thing he looked to do.