News: Woody’s Roundup - The Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Take him! I’ll pay for the tuk tuk to London.

2. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Lol, I'll address 17/18 and 'show you how to use stats'.

Anthony Martial played 2337 minutes and scored 11 goals.

Marcus Rashford played 2676 minutes and scored 13 goals.

2337/11 = 212.45
    2676/13 = 205.85

So Martial scored a goal every 212 minutes, Rashford every 206, but somehow...Martial has a better goals per 90?

My numbers are from Transfermarkt.

You also failed to prove anything related to your original assertion - you used statistics to deviate the discussion away from being able to prove/disprove your original statement - that Martial was our most productive offensive player.

Using the traditional scheme of 1 goal = 2 points and 1 assist = 1 point; Rashford has a point every 85 minutes. Martial has a point every 88 minutes. That calculation spans the entirety of their first team United careers. My numbers are, again, from transfermarkt.

3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    One plays striker, and the other is a winger. You're proving his point that it's not likely Rashford scores 20+ goals next season...

4. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Rashford has been deployed as a winger up until Ole took charge. Don't bring that bull shit to the table.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    This is false. Rashford has played striker before Ole. He has a lot of minutes on the wings as well, but lets not forget the end of last season.

He played no. 9 in cup games including EFL cup and CL. He also played striker more frequently down the stretch when Lukaku was in a poor run of form. Dont forget Rashford started the FA Cup final as the lone striker.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Goal ratio and goals per 90 are two different stats.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I only used the league stats, because that was what we were discussing and I didn't feel like calculating cup game numbers. Also, it's more telling to compare them in the main competition that both play in than to allow data from cup games against crap lower division teams in to skew numbers.

As for the other crap, I've proven my point over and over. Everyone here is telling you that you're wrong but you won't let it go. I'm done with you. Argue by yourself.

9. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Lol.

Martial has 8 goals 9 assists in the domestic cups. Rashford has 8 goals 3 assists in the domestic cups. Looks like one player is stat padding for sure...

But in the big cups, in Europe...

Rashford has 8 goals 6 assists. Martial has 6 goals 3 assists for the club.

Keep digging the hole and then trying to dismiss me. It's funny at this point.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I said I didn't even include those stats you dense cnut. So what's your excuse for being proven wrong over and over?

You're reaching gatekeeper levels of bullshit.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United to make a move for Nbombele?

http://mufclatest.com/manchester-un...for-70-million-french-midfielder-this-summer/

Pep is clearly looking to do a repeat of what he did with Fernandinho, ie playing an 8/B2B in the holding role. And frankly, I get the logic based on how he played in the CL vs City: he really can play in a deeper, more defensive role in midfield. Would like to see more of him there, but it might not be the worst option based on what he's shown so far.
    Very much looking forward to seeing him in action vs Barca tbh.

12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What do folks make of Declan Rice so far? Hes had a pretty fast ride the last few years.

jeff070 repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have him in an instant tbh. Seen him just a few times with WH this season and every single time, he's been mint. And of course, at just 19 his ceiling could be very high.
    Personally think he's probably the best holding mid in the English setup already. Him deciding to play for England, instead of Ireland is huge to the former.

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Other than the fact that he is a prick for what he did to Ireland, he is good so far.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Declan Rice has Tottenham written all over him to me. He just strikes me as the type of not-flashy purchase that they make, and then flip in three seasons for 2.5x.

But he's a fantastic player. His composure and reading of the game, at his age, are Carrick-esque.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rice is not only good going forward and with the ball at his feet, he's also very solid and tough defensively as well. And unless they plan on shifting him to the back or plan on flipping him, Tottenham already have Dier for the holding role in midfield.
    He'd cost a hefty penny, but given our own need at the position, he'd make sense to us and would be well worth it. As mentioned before, there aren't tons of quality DCMs in the game at this time by the looks of it, Rice, Napoli's Diawara or Tousart from Lyon are the best young prospects (and possibly available ones) in that spot.

17. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    RW or DM, which is our priority? Assuming it will cost a lot to get no 1 targets in either position. RW for me, it has been too long without a good one.

18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Does matic make a better 6 than Lingard makes RW?

19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Feel Herrera or AP can do a very adequate job while we have none who do a decent job out wide right. We have kept buying CMs after CMs without too many of them working out. How about trying Fred.

20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fair enough on Herrera. I get your point and I've been a huge proponent of Sancho on here for example.

At the same time, we still have a lot of fixes we need to really compete for the biggest titles. Were a couple summer windows off at least.

The pragmatist in me says we would benefit more from a new 6 now (and FBs) and limp by offensively with what we have.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We have 3 legit areas of significant need:

CB, RW and CM
    given those needs, it makes sense to have targets who may not break the bank.

Partey and Hojberg represent upgrades on Matic without breaking the bank.
    Someone like Gueye might cost a little more, but would also be a replacement for Ander (his energy) in a pinch.

I think Hojberg is a fantastic prospect, adjusted to the league and while he isn't super creative, he's really good at playing out from the back and progressing the ball. I'd like to see him here. At 23/24 he's the right age too.

at RW there are fewer options, but someone who could help replace some of what we'd lose if Jesse isn't on the right is Felipe Anderson. He wouldn't be cheap, but he wouldn't break the bank either. He's more creative than Jesse and would add some urgently needed take on ability outside of Rash/Martial and also obviously can play LW if needed. His possession adjusted interceptions + tackles are very good for an attacker.

22. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #97 Father Ted, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Fck Declan Rice he can go die in a dumpster fire. Ireland was good enough for him when he was rejected by England now he smells the money and runs to them. Don't want that sort of fleeting character at our club.

23. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    DM. We have no legitimate prospects to replace Matic - who will only be another year older next year.

I know you dislike Lingard, but he's more than serviceable at RW in the interim - and it gives us another space to have minutes for Greenwood. Rashford/Lukaku/Martial/Chong/Greenwood/Sanchez are a front six that I'd expect a solid return from.

Come on, dude, he was born in England and grew up his entire life in England. Are you saying, at 16/17 years old, if you were given the chance to play for a national team that you wouldn't take it? His parents aren't even from Ireland - they are from England as well. He was only eligible by his father's grandparents.

Sour grapes and all. Your feelings are understood. But he'd still be one hell of a pick up at the defensive midfield position. He's got the making of a great player - and if we don't get him - then he'll end up at one of our big rivals.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all depends on how much money will be made available to the new manager. There are potential available players in various price range for all the prime positions that need to be addressed.
    There are far more options at RW/RWF than perhaps anywhere else. We're looking at 4, perhaps 5 if we include FA (even if the inconsistency he is known for is starting to rear it's head atm) top of the lines options (Sancho, Lozano, Pepe, and Bailey are the others). Then there are up to 5-6 more who would be worthy of taking a shot on and who could be available to us, provided we miss out on all the guys above (Bergwijn, Neres, Under, Cornet or Guedes among others)
    Holding mid is a lot more sparse especially in terms of available/gettable ones. Have not seen enough of Hojbjerg to form an educated opinion on but he never stood out to me either. Been a big fan of Partey however and would love him at United and if Atleti were open to sell, would be curious as to what it would take to get him. Someone like Gueye is an outside option I suppose, but would rather go for Ndidi personally (bigger upside as he's still very young and familiar with the league as well).
    There are also guys like Rice or Amadou Diawara would be good shouts as well. Tousart from Lyon is more of a project, but he's an enticing one as far as I'm concerned. Pep is Pep but the fact that he sees Ndombele as a holding mid potentially does intrigue me also.
    At CB, it all depends on the money we'd have to spend: if we've got enough funds from Woodward, guys like Skriniar or Koulibaly should be the main targets. But if it's getting scarce, then Alderweireld remains a good capture for us.
    The players are there for us to strengthen ourselves and at least make us competitive going into next season. How we reinforce ourselves depends all on Woodward and fingers crossed, the manager (whoever it is) will have the money to spend.

25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don't think we should be too worried about saving money, we've spent a comparative pittance in the last two transfer windows and may well be ditching more dead weight in the summer.

If anything I'd have said we could probably get some decent deals for our needs at RB. At RW we could take a hit for one more year if we wanted to put more trust in our youth, or maybe there's value in going for Bergwijn rather than Lozano... But it looks like we should be thinking about RWs who can play RCF or AM too.

I just don't think we can really go for 'cheap' options anymore. We already have a lot of those padding out our squad - we need first choicers in these positions now.