News: Woody’s Roundup - The Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i think we might hold out with Herrera and let him leave based on a the recent uptick from Fred.

not that that is my preferred option but i suspect him and probably McTominay's recent games too may have come into the equation even aside from his age. at least it wouldn't surprise me.

we've re-signed or extended Jones, Young and others while skimping on DdG, Herrera and maybe one or two others i don't recall offhand.

that's far worse than anything on the pitch recently

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #577 Ashur, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    The absolute perfect summer, incoming players wise would be: Koulibaly, Meunier, Rice, Sancho. We'd still need at least one more player in my estimation but those 4 alone will cost around 240-250mil Pounds minimum. We'll see if we have that. Another CM and a genuine 9 (Werner for instance) would be others I would want also personally.
    Outgoing, we would be looking at: AY, Jones, Rojo, Herrera I suppose (not my pick) and Lukaku, who might net us at least 60mil, if we're lucky.
    At the end of the day, we need to add guys with character, not just with talent because we are seriously deficient in that area right now. And one of the few such guys we have, we're about to just let him walk away...

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nope, that’s not it, but is where I would start - young, talented, energetic, long-term solutions at CB, #6, RWF & RB.

Is dreamland stuff anyways - as is probably already double Ed’s budget :(

4. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We need to go uniformly for technique, agility, and energy. No shortcomings from any of our signings.

We shouldn't be looking to keep players who can do a job but lack in technical ability. We need to have a base level that everybody has to meet or exceed.

We may need to look at less high profile targets for the summer in certain areas. Unless an English team wins the CL we will have to pull some seriously shrewd young signings out of the bag, going direct to the likes of Sampdoria rather than waiting for players to become 6-10x as expensive.

We need 3 or 4 defenders, including Axel.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  5. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The absolute summer doesnt exist... .

6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SAF was effectively our manager and DoF in one - he and Gill worked in tandem.

Since 2012 the Accountant / Investment Banker Ed Woodward has effectively been our DoF - so I wouldn't hold your hopes out for a perfect summer ...

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #582 Ashur, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Whoever said it did? Simply theorizing as to what it would take to properly rebuild the squad. Certainly under no illusion it will come to pass. Been clearly on record that if we have £200mil to spend alone, I'd consider that a victory in itself.
    Still not enough consider all our needs, but that would be a start.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further proof that we can not let Dave go, and have to hope that he will sign an extension soon. Replacing him would be a very, very expensive proposition (as we've already seen with Pool and Chelsea already). Oblak signed a new deal with Atleti, with his release clause having increased to 120mil Euros.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ester-united-transfer-news-barcelona-16141507

“What underpins Ajax's resurgence is they are a football club run by football people. Edwin van der Sar, previously their marketing director, ascended to the chief executive role 18 months ago and Marc Overmars, technical director since 2012, recently committed amid interest from his former club Arsenal. Johan Cruyff once remarked 'I have never seen a sack of money score a goal'”

“What is alarming for United is it is understood the structure for the upcoming summer transfer window will be exactly the same as last summer”

“This is a club who could not shift Matteo Darmian and Marcos Rojo last year and ended the window without two priority targets. The two standout signings were made possible by release clauses.”

“Call it arrogance or complacency, but United overestimate themselves and have already committed an error in their rebuild by not installing a technical director before the permanent manager. The United board consists of economic graduates and Glazer siblings. They might as well establish a Football Knowledge post.”

thenamestsam and Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    200million will get you only 2 Quality players and maybe we have to chip in few more €mullions to get those 2 players..

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our ideal budget should be between 250 and 300mil Pounds. But with 200, we can get more than 2 quality players, provided we get smart about how we spend and don't go for high priced players.
    Can't go for the likes of Sancho and Koulibaly for instance, but instead we would have to look at Lozano/Neres and Alderweireld or Manolas (who combined would be around 60-80mil). It's just a matter of recalibrating our target list, but we could get quality players for 200mil...

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Club need to decide if they want to ;

- compete with Arsenal / Spurs (ie target is top 4)

- compete with City / Liverpool (ie target 1st / 2nd)

I think most of the supporters have one target and Ed / Glazers have another.

One needs a 200m investment and the other (following a number of consecutive weak windows) is well over 200m.

Remember we did next to nothing last summer and with an ageing and sub-standard squad means we are going backwards.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think the Glazers or Woody even if think on footballing terms like where we aspire to be in the league. I think they look at it like are we still making money, are we still drawing sponsors, are we still selling tickets, are we still selling merchandise? If the answer to all those is yes, they don't give a shit what's happening in the table or on the field.

Manchester United is no longer a football club run by footballing minds. It's a business run by businessmen.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #589 Ashur, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    If Woodward decides that 200mil is all Ole will have at his disposal this summer and despite all the needs that need addressing, there is a way to still go for high quality/priced targets we want. We just need to be creative, apply basic common sense, be diligent in how we do business and it can be done. This is how we can make it happen: first, would be looking to sell the following (in order to increase our available funds):
    - Lukaku (60mil)
    - Jones (20-25mil)
    - Rojo (10mil)
    - Sanchez (almost forgot about him): have genuinely no clue how much we can get from him. Only way I see we could make some money is by selling him to China.
    - Valencia and AY would be outgoing too but we'd get nothing from their departures money wise. Darmian stays at least this coming season for depth at FB.
    So we're possibly looking at 280-290mil available (maybe a little more with the Sanchez sale?), with the positions that absolutely need to be addressed: CF, RW/RWF, DCM, RB, CB.
    - Timo Werner (50mil)
    - Jadon Sancho (100mil)
    - Declan Rice (40mil)
    - Thomas Meunier (20mil)
    - Kalidou Koulibaly (80mil)
    That would make for a terrific summer, where we've gotten rid of lots of deadwood, while bringing in genuine quality (both technically, but also some players of character, which we need badly).
    We might not challenge right away for the top 2 spots (ie Pool and City) but we'd be a lock for top 4, with a very good foundation to genuinely compete for the biggest titles both domestically and in Europe by the following season.
    Would also to give guys like Greenwood, Garner and even O'Connor some time with the senior team. While the likes of Gomes and Chong would be sent on loan to clubs where they'd have a genuine chance at playing regularly (domestically if possible but abroad would be just fine also).

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I trust Woodward to be able to carry out that type of plan. But as mentioned, with just a little creativity, diligence and some balls, a really terrific and effective summer would not be out of our grasp...

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Realistically, we're not 1 good summer away from being up there with City and Pool. The talent difference is just too great.

Ideally we need a big investment summer (200 mil absolute minimum) in addition to getting rid of the dross that has plagued this club for years (and new dross). By dross I mean Young, Jones, Rojo, Valencia, Matic, Sanchez. Those guys are at best depth players keeping young developing players from getting minutes and at worst useless shit on high wages. And aside from their skills on the field, most of those guys are part of the spine of our team that are soft and mentally weak.

The one part of LvG coming that I really respected was his ruthlessness in clearing out players he deemed not good enough. He replaced those players with more shitty players that werent good enough, but at least he had the right idea. Ole needs to come right out and tell those players to find a new club, ******** of to China (Sanchez), or see out your contract in the reserves.

Time to stop dicking around and repeating what doesnt work.

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @Ashur Koulibaly will cost over 100million and recent reports suggest the same with President not willing to sell below 110-115million .. Same goes for Rice he will be 50million and Meunier will be 30million .

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meunier is about to enter the final year of his contract, therefore automatically dropping his value, if he refuses to sign a new deal with PSG: 20mil is actually generous in that case...
    If Rice goes for 50, then so be it, still worth it as far as far as I'm concerned and something we can and should do. As far as Koulibaly is concerned, I believe it to be posturing from Napoli, but if they do stand firm in asking over 100mil for Koulibaly, then that's fine and maybe we look elsewhere. There are other CBs we can go after.
    My point really is that there is good business for us to be done this summer, provided Ole and Woodward in particular are really committed in improving the team. And as stated, even if Woodward only makes 200mil available upfront, we can easily raise that amount to around 300 pretty easily by selling players who are surplus to requirements.

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Koulibaly might cost 100 mil. Rice will be between 40 and 50. Meunier goes for 20 easily.

20. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Whatever, one thing we need to make sure is we are not negotiating on single front we need to be in talks for alternative aswell.. Just incase Napoli doesnt budge below asking price we need to secure Alderweireld signing.. Not pinning hope on single player..

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    we can easily sign both. if your budget allows you to spend anywhere in the region of £80m - £100m on a defender another £25m won't kill you unless your entire budget is solely dedicated to that one player which would only be the case if our squad was complete and we were making the 1- 2% improvements to remain elite

22. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    My worry is that Ed doesn't have the stomach to shell out that kind of cash for a non-glamorous position.

I've been slow to jump on the train, but the situation last summer, and now the contract plague that's swept our squad, has me tremendously worried about the true investment that the glazers are willing to put in + the capability of Woodward to understand the task at hand.

It makes me simultaneously hopeful and forlorn over the idea of someone like Paul Mitchell. He's great at finding talent from relative obscurity - but the DA inside of me wants to know if any interest we might have in him is because we aren't going to be willing to spend the kind of money that might be necessary to push the squad over the top?

If that does turn out to be the case - then the faithful of OT need to raise hell and make the Glazers aware that we won't stand for it.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well then as i've said for years at least sign the bloody scouts from Porto Ajax etc. who can actually help ID these talents well ahead of maturity if we're going to curb the big money purchases.

time will tell but if the Glazers have been burnt by the Sánchez thing amd refuse to spend big again for a while you'd understand even at least a little bit why.

that said you'd also think with all these tire, airline, toothpaste and noodle (etc.) deals we have we should have a huge war chest from those alone

Anonymous_United repped this.
  24. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good fcuking point. Leave some of the sponsorship money to rebuild the friggin team. Those cocksuckers are going to realize that at some point you need to have a quality product on the pitch.

25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Tch Tch Tch.. We may have to bend they know we are desperate..