Women's World Cup 2011 - Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Moaca, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Canada announces roster for Germany 2011
    FIFA Women's World Cup 16 June 2011

Canada has announced its official roster for the FIFA Women’s World Cup Germany 2011. Coach Carolina Morace has selected 21 players eligible to play in the world’s biggest women’s sporting event, which runs this 26 June to 17 July in nine German cities.

All 16 national rosters will be officially posted this Friday 17 June on FIFA.com, including those of Canada’s opening round opponents Germany (26 June in Berlin), France (30 June in Bochum) and Nigeria (5 July in Dresden).

This will mark Canada’s fifth-consecutive participation in the FIFA Women’s World Cup dating back to 1995. The team has also already qualified for the next FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2015 when the event will be hosted by Canada.

Of note on the Canadian roster, goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc has been selected for her fourth FIFA Women’s World Cup, making her just the second Canadian to earn that distinction. Canada’s only other four-time FIFA Women’s World Cup participant is Andrea Neil, now an assistant coach (along with Elisabetta Bavagnoli) on coach Morace’s staff.

Canada’s captain and all-time leader in appearances is Christine Sinclair, now taking part in her third FIFA Women’s World Cup. Sinclair ranks amongst the top-5 all-time global leaders in international goals, with 116 to her credit in 159 career matches.

Canada’s vice-captain is Diana Matheson, who ranks second amongst active players with 122 career appearances for Canada. Sinclair, Matheson, Erin McLeod, Brittany Timko and Rhian Wilkinson are all taking part in their third FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Sinclair, Matheson, Timko (101) and Wilkinson (100) are all part of Canada’s century club. An additional seven players have made 50 or more appearances. Counting all 21 players, this squad has made 1,244 player appearances at the international level, an average of nearly 60 matches per player.

Nine players are taking part in their first FIFA Women’s World Cup. The youngest players are Jonelle Filigno (still only 20) and Chelsea Stewart (just turned 21), both of whom have won Canadian U-20 Player of the Year honours in recent years.

Of the nine first-time participants at the FIFA Women’s World Cup, three are actually taking part in their first-ever FIFA event: Christina Julien, Marie-Eve Nault and Kelly Parker. The other six players have all previously taken part in at least one FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.

Along with Canada’s official list of 21 players, coach Morace has selected four alternates that would be selected in case of injury before the opening match.

Canada has a 2011 record of 10 wins, one draw and two losses in 13 matches. This marks the first time Canada has won 10 or more games in back-to-back seasons. Canada also enters the FIFA Women’s World Cup as the reigning CONCACAF champions, having won the confederation title back in November in Cancún, Mexico.

CANADA
    Number | Position | Name | Current club |
    1- GK- Karina LeBlanc | Unattached /
    2- D- Emily Zurrer | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    3- M- Kelly Parker | USA / Atlanta Beat
    4- M- Carmelina Moscato | Unattached /
    5- D- Robyn Gayle | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    6- M- Kaylyn Kyle | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    7- M- Rhian Wilkinson | NOR / Lillestrøm SK Kvinner
    8- M- Diana Matheson | NOR / Lillestrøm SK Kvinner
    9- D- Candace Chapman | USA / Western New York Flash
    10- F- Jodi-Ann Robinson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    11- M- Desiree Scott | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    12- F- Christine Sinclair | USA / Western New York Flash
    13- M- Sophie Schmidt | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    14- F- Melissa Tancredi | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    15- F- Christina Julien | CAN / Ottawa Fury
    16- F- Jonelle Filigno | USA / Rutgers University
    17- D- Brittany Timko | Unattached /
    18- GK- Erin McLeod | USA / magicJack
    19- M- Chelsea Stewart | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    20- D- Marie-Eve Nault | CAN / Ottawa Fury
    21- GK- Stephanie Labbé | SWE / Piteå IF

CANADA | ALTERNATES
    Rachelle Beanlands | 1993 | Ottawa, ON, CAN | Gloucester Dragons
    Melanie Booth | 1984 | Burlington, ON, CAN | Burlington YSC
    Chelsea Buckland | 1990 | North Delta, BC, CAN | Walley SA
    Brooke McCalla | 1987 | Pickering, ON, CAN | Pickering

CANADA | STAFF
    Head of Delegation: Clive Wilkinson
    Head Coach: Carolina Morace
    Assistant Coach: Elisabetta Bavagnoli
    Assistant Coach: Andrea Neil
    Goalkeeper Coach: Max Colucci
    Fitness Coach: Mario Familari
    Video Coordinator: Sian Bagshawe
    General Manager: Misty Thomas
    Equipment Manager: Maeve Glass
    Doctor: Dr. Pietro Braina
    Doctor: Dr. Salvatore Delogu
    Physiotherapist: Leonardo Raveggi
    Physiotherapist: Fabrizio DiFrancesco
    Massage Therapist: Shoko Nagai
    Staff: Andy O’Brien

2. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Really looking forward to the 2011 Women's World Cup!!

Canada is ranked 6th and has a great team and play #2 Germany in Berlin Sunday 12pm et. LIVE on CBC!!

GO CANADA GO!! :)

GO GIRLS GO!! :)

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/

3. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Final: Germany 2 Canada 1

A respectable result for Canada today vs a very good World Cup favored German side. Canada playing in front of a record crowd of 73K + got off to a strong start in the 6th minute with Christine Sinclaire all alone in on the German keeper only to fire high over goal. Sinclair should have scored on this glorious opportunity and it may have been a different game thereafter for Canada. Germany then scored shortly after and took a 2-0 lead into half. Canada never gave up in the second half with Christine Sinclair scoring a lovely goal in the 82nd minute off a free kick that would have made David Beckham proud. Then Canada almost tied the game in the 86th minute off a brilliant corner set play that found Emily Zurrer all alone on goal only to one time the ball wide. Zurrer should have controled the ball down and buried this chance for Canada. All in all a decent result vs Germany. I expect Canada to draw confidence from todays effort tighten up defensively and to play well in their next match.

Canada vs France Thursday @ 12pm et.

Canada's Jonelle Filigno wins hottie of the match.:p

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=970985642248&id=2392935e997b6eefd9134b2dae7b5bd2&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.canadasoccer.com%2fimages%2fheadshots%2fFiligno_Jonelle2009www.jpg

4. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agreee a 100% with you. She's a cutie!!
    In truth I watched the game and Sinclair had the best chance in the 6th minute. Could of been a 2-2 tie today but oh well. I hope Canada does move on from the group.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Believe it or not, we actually had 51% of possession in the game. Of course, it's what you do with the possession that counts and Germany with their speed and accuracy were able to finish their chances better than us. I don't think we were outclassed but there still seems to be a barrier between Brazil, Germany, USA and the rest of the world.

6. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A very very dissapointing result for Canada today they were thoroughly outclassed by France 4-0.

Unable to finish off chances...defensive lapses...constantly dwelling on the ball and losing possesion...and a suspect keeper won't get a team out of the group stage at a World Cup.

Back to square one for Canada's national womens team.

Would love to see France England or U.S.A. knock off the Germans.

7. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's not square one, we had a bad game. Every pre world cup game and the match v. Germany were excellent performances. The ladies were caught unprepared for France, perhaps a little overconfident, and weren't as technically skilled. Instead of compensating with less holding play and more passing and wing play, they tried to our dribble the French.

It was a fatal error, but I'm still proud of our women for their performance. There was also no stopping goal number 4...Thomis is the female equivalent of Ussain Bolt.

8. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's very nice...hang on a minute while i break out the crying towels after reading that.

While you may be "proud of our women for their performance" vs France i'd be willing to bet a grand sum that for a supposed 6th ranked team the rest of Canada was rather embarrased of their performance.

Have a nice day.

9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was disappointed as well at being eliminated less than a week into the tourney. But I think I'm starting to come around a bit. I think in a way this could be a good thing heading into a World Cup that we're hosting.

Right now, yes we've been embarrassed and we're done but that also means we don't have any laurels to rest on. We have four years to hit the gym, hit the training field, work harder, train faster and rethink the way we teach the game to youth players. While there will be pressure on us as the home team, the story won't be "can Canada improve on (fill in the blank) place?" It will be "can Canada redeem themselves..." which will make it a much better story to follow.

10. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nicely done, you can quote out of context and ignore the actually meat of what I said in my post. The point that you missed by focusing on two separate sentences that you chose to conjoin as one, was that I'm proud of their overall performance, and not just v. France.

It's not a "soul-searching" moment because we're still a strong side, we need to tweak a bit and improve in our difficiencies. It is not a disaster.

11. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Well personally I was very embarrassed by it. And I don't take positives out of a situation like that. All this talk about the future is bright and they have improved so much is questionable since other teams have improved more. It's not improving over what they were that matters, it's improving over other teams, since all women's teams are improving.

However, I believe when they fell behind a goal they completely fell apart, and are not as bad as they appeared the rest of the game. So all the talk about them falling way behind everyone else seems overdone. How did they get ranked 6th if they have fallen far behind everyone else? All the games that go into the 6th don't matter, and one game does in evaluating them? Not sure about that!

They came completely unglued. From what I've seen before of them I considered them a Jekyll and Hyde team anyway .. Canada soccer has an inferiority complex and it isn't going away until they stop crashing out of the most important tournaments.

12. Italiaman

Italiaman Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Lets get specific. Team was slow. Poor passing. Mediocre goal tending. Too soft on defence. No offence strategy. Need team moving together into the box. Yikes. Very poor overall. Your thoughts? I like Schmidt. Sinclair was injured. Want to see other keeper in last game. The keeper who won CONCACAF.

13. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yup i agree and all these issues point right back to coaching.

Morace should not be retained.

14. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would not retain Morace as our coach. The team played poorly under her when it counted in this World Cup. She looked completely disillusioned on the bench and not up and about instructing and motivating our team.

At least we got a couple of shots on goal vs 27th ranked Nigeria.:rolleyes:

15. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thrilling 2011 World Cup in Germany...in the final before 48K+ in Frankfurt a heartbreaking loss for USA as Japan wins the final!!

The 2015 Womens World Cup has been awarded to Canada yet we do not even have 1 world class soccer stadium.:rolleyes: