Women Ballon D'Or

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Sep 25, 2018.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That piece of trash needs to be punted into a volcano. Respect to Ada for not playing along and shutting him down.

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    is this real? a publicity stunt? a dare?

unbelievable!!

humanity takes one step forward and ten backward.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well the good part is that this story got circulated way past the norm soccer sites outlets into main stream media, thus making Ada right now the most famous woso player in the world!

the joke, to me is that the French Football media used a prestigious name mean't for the world just to hype or vote in their own players or anybody that plays in their league, Again, you can make any excuse you like but bottom line, Lyon lost respect when they lost to NC Courage essentially B squad this last summer

4. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    From NFF:
    "This is great for Norwegian football
    Elise Director Lise Klaveness praises Ada Hegerberg who won the world's best-selling football prize, Ballon d'Or, last night.

Share: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Email Print
    [​IMG]
    Ada Hegerberg won the world's best-selling football prize, Ballon d'Or, last night. | Photo: Gettyimages

Ada Hegerberg was able to lift the trophy last night, proving she is the world's best football player. She is the first Norwegian player to receive the prize.

We are proud that a Norwegian player wins the most prestigious football prize in the world. She is a great example for thousands of young football girls in Norway.

"I am very proud of Ada, she has won this award, and we in NFF are very happy that a Norwegian player wins this award. She has grown up in Norway, played many age-long national matches, played on the Norwegian national team for many years. This is great for Norwegian football, says director of elite football at NFF, Lise Klaveness at fotball.no

- A big congratulations to Ada. This is great for Ada, and very big for the women's football that Ada emphasizes in his speech. It's time that such a prize is awarded on the women's side, and it's fun that there is a Norwegian player who receives the prize, "says Martin Sjögren, national manager at fotball.no

Only Hege Riise has won a similar award when she was awarded the World Cup's best player in 1995.

blissett repped this.
  5. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Happy to see Ada win this, of course! Is the fact that Sam Kerr has not won a league title dragging her down from being in serious contention for such an award? Have you seen Sam play in person? Amazing! and a Red Star! Surprised Marta (current Marta) received more points than Sam Kerr.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, the award favors the players who win trophies, although it did not happen in the men's trophy otherwise Varane would have won it...
    Harder would have won it if she had won the champions league no doubt abut it.

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think it's a pretty good list! And, being a top 100 instead of a top 10, I honestly expect it (even without a bias) to have a bit more of a EURO flair, since there are simply that many more players in Europe compared to the rest of the world - at least when it comes to, say, the top 20-25 teams.
    There are 6 NWSL players in the top 16. (Well, 5 officially, since Kerr is treated as being in the W-League right now, appropriately.) I think that's a pretty good ratio. Even deeper down the list, NWSL+WLeague makes up about 1/4 of the players.

10. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I'd rate Miedema with Hegerberg and Kerr right now, for sure. She's torn up the English Super League this year.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #36 hotjam2, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    we don't know the cut off period for this list, the FIFA award given to Marta, I don't believe takes into account the new season, as one must wonder as well why the lower ranked Ewa Pajor is not higher in that she is currently tearing up the Bundesliga score board over for her teamie, Harder

the only full game I watched(last week's ARS/ManCity), Miedema didn't look effective at all, being out shined by Stanway(who didn't make the list)...and this was an important game between the league's 1st & 2nd best teams.

Seems to me the list favors Chelsea a bit, Kirby at #13, Bachmann at #17?. Millie Bright at #98 don't they know she scores more goals against her own team than for them? lol. and for last week's game, why isn't the great scott, Rachel Corsie, not listed? It was her stifling defense on Miedema & gang that helped win the game(as compared to her teamie at CB, the underwhelming English lovey dovey, Houghton at a ridiculous #37.

and why isn't Tiena Davidson on the list? It's her strong defense & distribution at She Believes was mvp worthy

noticing too; only one NCAA player, Castellano, she's good, but there were some stronger performances on the Florida St championship squad; most notably Malia Berkely. while still resilient in the back, the modern day powerhouse CB who's well controlled, dribbling up field , swaying a path that caused major panic into opponents defenses

UGH.....these English(where the list is from) they not only have bad memories, but not too "Bright" when picking CB's!

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Miedema has been prolific this season--the ManCity game is the first this year in which she didn't score, and she's had numerous multiple-goal games. She's had a great team around her, but so has Hegerberg. Of course losing two outstanding mids who play behind you, Nobbs and Little, is going to make the powerful Arsenal attack less effective, which was the case in the ManCity match.

As for Castellano, she's overrated, IMO. She can strike the ball, no question, but her work rate isn't stellar and don't think she likes playing defense much. The strength of this year's FSU's team was definitely its back four--not just Berkely, who was good, but also Kuuika (sp), who is the real stud in the back.

13. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Lechus7 repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lechus7 and sbahnhof repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, it is really worth reading. @Bauser had posted the link to this article on The Norway thread, and I had thought that it was probably worth re-posting it on other threads, but I had forgot to do it. Thanks, @lil_one for covering up for me. :p

lil_one and Lechus7 repped this.
  16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And we are back for the second year of the Women Ballon d'Or, 20 nominees and 50 voting journos this year. Nomination Monday 21st October, ceremony Monday 2nd of December.

It is quite funny, they published an article a few days ago mentioning it is not a gimme for Rapinoe

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I mean, I think that's totally fair. Rapinoe had a breakout KO phase of the WWC - like Lloyd did four years ago. But Rapinoe has barely played for the Reign this year. She should certainly be in the discussion, but IMO think is one of the years where there isn't a good frontrunner for the award because no one particularly stands out (as opposed to years with a frontrunner, or years with no frontrunner because multiple players stand out).

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think Rapinoe will get the FIFA BEST player award on Monday, due to the nature of the votes unless Morgan thanks to her popularity gets enough fan votes like Marta last year.

SiberianThunderT, blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    blissett repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Here are the voting rules.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The 20 nominees:

Kosovare Asllani, SWE
    Sarah Bouhaddi, FRA
    Lucy Bronze, ENG
    Nilla Fischer, SWE
    Pernille Harder, DEN
    Tobin Heath, USA
    Ada Hegerberg, NOR
    Amandine Henry, FRA
    Sofia Jakobsson, SWE
    Sam Kerr, AUS
    Rose Lavelle, USA
    Dzsenifer Marozsan, GER
    Marta, BRA
    Lieke Martens, NED
    Vivianne Miedema, NED
    Alex Morgan, USA
    Megan Rapinoe, USA
    Wendie Renard, FRA
    Sari van Veenendaal, NED
    Ellen White, ENG

blissett repped this.
  22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Miedema or Kerr for the win....

23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Miedema, Harder, or Henry for me. Where the heck is Graham Hansen though? If she was a nominee, I'd probably put her in my top three instead of Henry. (Disclaimer: I'm not much of a Kerr fan.)

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    for once agree with you on Caro Hansen, though I've had her rated as high as top 5

Even though their the #2 team in the world, only one German on the list, Marozsan. She's obviously contributed for Lyon, but looks very lackluster for her NT where as the AM hasn't even scored in any of the 31 goals Germany's scored in their last 4 Euro qualifiers as well as disappointing at the WC

25. Objecteur d'Inconscience

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Jul 16, 2019
    Bronze will get it. Championship, Cup, Champions League in club + World Cup semis, being a key element in every competition.