Wolves vs Liverpool FC - FA Cup - Jan 7 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 17, 2018.

1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    OK - so not the greatest start to the New Year...but, if we got our two losses for the year out of the way, I am fine with that.

Back to it against Brighton and Hove...

Wingtips1 repped this.
  2. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves first goal was just ugly on our part.

3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just thinking about Lallana not even making the bench tonight. Wonder if he's gonna be sold?

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He apparently picked up a late knock, but it was only yesterday that Klopp was raving about him being in great shape. He said he almost picked him to start against City.

Henderson was also a late scratch and Lovren was never supposed to start. I guess he planned for Hendo to partner Fabinho at the back.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s hard to get too mad about this game I generally agree that some of the veteran senior players should’ve done a heck of a lot more. I don’t think Sturridge registered a shot on goal.

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We now have a 10 day break between the Palace game on Jan 19 and the Leicester game on Jan 30.

We then have another long break between Bournemouth on Feb 9 and Bayern on Feb 19. Lots of suggestions that Klopp will take the squad away to a warm weather training camp.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely will - he’s done it the last couple of years. It will be good team bonding.

8. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Another injury ! He's become so fragile , must be terribly frustrating for both him and Klopp.

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  10. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    So that was not great. No cohesion as expected.

I think Moreno played his last game for us as I fully expect Milner to be the the deputy at LB.

Sturridge and Origi. I expected better from these two. Should have been fresh and ready to prove why they should be regulars in the first team.

Concerned about Keita. Has he joined us from Red bull yet?

Allison is always ready to start a quick counter and pings balls as soon as he collects them. Mignolet on the other hand collects the ball and then dummies as if he was about to start a quick counter. Just stop it. Release the ball.

I was impressed by the youngsters but why on earth was Camacho playing so far ahead leaving Hoever to deal with the right side on his own. In the first half I could not see Camacho at all. Or did we not play with a RB.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    In seasons past, when I were a lad, there were usually only 3-4-5 live club games on TV: FA Cup final, the 3 European finals and maybe the League Cup final. The international qualifiers were usually live also. But this was a huge reason why the FA Cup was so important - it was because it was live with all its pomp and pageantry, lending itself to being memorable. You could usually remember the last 4-5-6 winners in the same way as you'd remember WC winners. But the game has moved on. The winner's fee, including gate receipts, will not now buy you a Dominic Solanke. It does get you a place in the Europa League which many clubs now see as a poisoned chalice. In short there's not an awful lot to be gained and lots to lose with injuries, suspensions and squad exhaustion.

If we say that the FA Cup is not on our radar of importance this season, it sounds like sour grapes and poor excuses. But the truth of it is, the FA Cup is not on our radar. Years ago, when the Cup was important, when I were a lad, it was almost as important as the League. Since football was invented by Sky in 1992, the Cup has diminished in importance. Only when United won the treble or when we won our treble or when Chelsea won a double does the FA Cup become slightly more important. For the statistics obsessed. But in truth, when you're competing at the top end of the league and in Europe, the Cup slides down the pecking order. Shame, but that's the reality. If the winner got a pass into the CL, then clubs would take it seriously again; in most/all other European leagues, the Cup is as it has become in England - something to try for, but without too much exertion. Lovern getting injured was far more important than any result last night.

Does all this sound like excuses and barn doors being shut and sour grapes? Probably, but it is mostly true. Ask any club, any fans - top 4 or FA Cup?

With all of the above said, I thought it was a very poor performance, especially in the first half. Things picked up slightly in the second. But I suppose what bothered me was the fact that this was the B- (fair?) side. The youngsters were not playing to dislodge the first teamers, but there were more than a handful who were. Shaqiri. Sturridge. Moreno. Keita. Origi. Maybe even Milner. And with the possible exception of Origi, all of them looked like they were trying to remember if they had fed the dog before they left home.

Wolves weren't hugely better, but they did enough to win. Which is something you can say Liverpool never looked like at any stage. Annoyed Lovern is injured, hope it's not serious, glad the kids got a run out, pissed the regulars were so disinterested, but ultimately not hugely bothered we lost.

The League and the CL all day, everyday over the FA Cup.

el-capitano, bayred, SamScouse and 2 others repped this.
  12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool aren’t different than any of the other big clubs. Nobody takes the 3rd round seriously. The only difference is that we were drawn against Wolves away while everyone else got to play against lower league clubs.

Wolves are in a perfect position to make a run at the cup. They are a quality side who is not in danger of relegation, but have no shot of getting into the top 6.

If we could have gotten through the first few rounds by playing our second team, I’m sure you would have seen Klopp start to field stronger and stronger teams as we got closer to a final.

bayred and SamScouse repped this.
  13. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Wonder what the consequences will be for these marginal first teamers who didn't look up for it. Don't think Klopp has much tolerance for that kind of attitude.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marignal:
    Moreno - he's gone anyway
    Migs - he's gone in the summer
    Origi - did ok - but will be sold soon
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    First Teamers:
    Lallana - he's gone in the summer
    Sturridge - no idea - but I'm not sure he will be offered a new contract and I think he wants to go somewhere where he starts
    Milner - age might be catching up to him
    Keita - he's hot and cold. you can see the talent - he was gliding up field all game, but then played safe and didn't stamp his authority on the game (but if you look at the stats he did decently) - it's been a start stop season for him - but I'm not worried in the long run. Too much talent and quality to not click soon.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There's an easy way not to see any of that stuff.....
    Really? Any club? Any fans?

Southampton? Brighton? Bournemouth? Watford? Fulham?
    They would all (fans - not players) take a season as whipping boys of wuropean football ahead of a fantastic day of FA Cup glory??
    You're telling me that Portsmouth would swap their win a decade ago for that??

as for part two - for us the CL involves overcoming Bayern Munich, which I fervently hope we do, but nonetheless, it is hardly anything like a given..... particularly with Virgil Van Dyke missing th efirst game....

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

Yes. Never thought anything otherwise.

17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This thread may go nuclear ........

speker repped this.
  18. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp's system hums on quality LB and RB play which today sat watching. Instead, there were kids! Fabinho correctly didn't go full Kompany when Milner gave him that goofy pass, and let his man by, then Wolves won it with a Wunderstrike deemed illegal in the States and all U.S. territories. The senior players saw Lovren's hammy tighten and decided it's just the FA Cup. The worst result would have been draw, even worse than that: first team injury. Which we didn't avoid, but at least it was Just Lovren, too bad we don't have Lucas anymore to put in a shift at CB, somehow winning every header.

speker repped this.
  19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a ton of shade thrown Keita's way after this game and I'm not really sure its warranted if you consider he was being asked to do something he's never done for us.

I appeared we intended to play a 2 in midfield with Keita and Milner, something I don't think either has done this year. Once Lovren went off, Milner basically became a CB, leaving Keita basically a 1 man midfield who was reliant on Shaq and Sturridge to drop far deeper than we'd like in order to help move the ball up field. He had Moreno, Jones and Origi as his primary options for forward passes, none of which are quite at the level we need.

He did well defensively and on the dribble, but on a couple occasions his final ball was wanting, which leaves the impression he was poor overall. I think that is primarily a function of being out of the team so much over the past few months and his confidence has dipped as a result. He'll come good.

newterp repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a good analysis.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Keita seems to be trying to play the perfect pass too often and in the process hesitates a fraction too long. I think he just needs a goal and/or a couple of good assists to settle.

22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...xit-Wolves-Liverpools-best-defeat-season.html

delaynomo, Wingtips1 and newterp repped this.
  23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    How young is Ki-Jana Hoever? He was about 8 months old when Milner made his PL debut for Leeds.

24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How young? Young enough to be Milner's son!

Samarkand and newterp repped this.