Wolves v Spurs, PL, Dec. 15, 9 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Dec 13, 2019.

1. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, that was Jose’s effect in full strength!
    In all seriousness we didn’t deserve it, but will take it full heartedly!
    COYS!

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’m not sure how I’ll feel if Spurs become a win ugly side, but it’s better than the lose ugly teams of yore.

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    mph was Poch doing commentary/analysis? I was watching the NBC feed. How did he sound, disgruntled?

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Got up in the dark here on the west coast, but it was worth it. We certainly nicked that game, Wolves were superb. Nicely taken goal by Lucas, he probably wouldn't have been picked if Poch were still manager. It was ugly, but we showed some much needed resilience, especially in defense and in goal.

The problem for us is we have no creativity in central midfield. Dier and Sissoko were excellent defensively and had to be the way Wolves were battering us, but on the ball, they can't pick out a pass. Wolves meanwhile had Moutinho and Neves playing one touch balls into the forwards to launch quick attacks.

Now we do happen to have a creative midfielder, his name is Cristian Eriksen, who came on and with his first touch delivered a free kick that forced a corner and with his second touch, delivered the ball that Super Jan headed into the goal for the win. Maybe Jose will use him like a pinch hitter in baseball.

Memo to Davinson Sanchez: you may want to try passing the ball to a player in the same coulour shirt.

soccernutter repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Wolves played very physical and Spurs were outmuscled in the midfield many times. They hung on, though. I have no problem with JM not using any subs, because there really wasn't anyone on the bench who could match the way Wolves were playing. Clever to put on Eriksen to take any possible free kicks at the end.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hard to believe there was once a time in football when there were no subs. Imagine that! Spurs old-timers will remember that a Leicester player got injured in the 1961 FA Cup Final but had to soldier on, which meant the Foxes were effectively playing with 10 men.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Interesting that Rose was left out of the squad, it couldn't have anything to do with his comments during the week?

8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wolves with the Spursy performance.

I well remember a Mourinho Chelsea side beating us with a last minute goal, Gallas I think. That was a total injustice. As much as today.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding a few comments and some additional thoughts.

I was listening to the NBC feed, too.

To me, this match was as much Wolves poor finishing as it was Spurs resilient defending. Seriously, had the Wolves had a Salah or Kane or Aguero or Vardy, Spurs would have been toast. How Traore didn't score or get an assist before he did says much to his teammates poor finishing.

Wolves played very much how Spurs used to play under Poch, and I mean that in a very positive way. They were quick to the ball and on the ball. They had sharp passing and were not stagnant off the ball. They also were not consistent when either on or off the ball with their movement, causing all kinds of problems for Sanchez and Dier and Sissoko and Aurier. They won possession 58% to 42%. And they were fit. So fit, that Spurs looked like they struggled the last 10+ minutes of the match.

This was a very entertaining match considering the hard rain which fell all match long. Very few slips or wet touches. Much credit goes to Wolves ground crew and stadium/pitch design, but also to the players as well.

I would be comfortable with Gazzaniga taking over for Lloris. He was very good today, and I think his distribution is superior to Lloris's.

Regarding the subs, it was my thought, too, that there was not much for Spurs to bring on. But considering that Spurs were getting tired and the total domination of the midfield by Wolves, I thought Eriksen should have been brought on 10 to 15 minutes earlier.

Regarding Sanchez, I would be happier if he didn't have any concentration lapses over his passing. Had at least two error which his teammates covered for. This seems to be a normal thing for him, and something he can improve.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  10. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not an easy place to get a result but got to take that! I was yelling at the tv for someone to get a head or foot on it for a winner lol. Superman Vertonghen strikes again! Might not have been as difficult if Dier had put away his chance to make it 2-0.

Big game vs Chelski next which could see us back to 4th with favorable holiday fixtures against Brighton and Norwich.

COYS!

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    [
    I think Jose binning the passing out from the back business has simplified things for Gazza. Great save on the Roman Saiss header late on to keep us at 1-1.

As for the subs, I would have brought on Lo Celso. I know I had a go at him in midweek, but he was playing out of position in a poor side. The double switch of Son and Dele for Foyth and Winks at the end of the game was classic Jose. Spurs fans will have to get used to those kinds of moves under Mourinho.

As for Sanchez, I have noticed that teams are shading Aldeweireld and Vertonghen forcing Sanchez to bring the ball out knowing that he can't pick a killer pass or will probably give the ball away.

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You can realistically envision a scenario where Lloris leaves this summer.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I came here to say exactly that.
    Sanchez is definitely the weak link of the back 3 for this reason. Foyth seems to be pretty good on the ball... I wonder what's going to happen with the back line. I read that Vertonghen wants to stay, but he wants a 3 year deal, which Spurs won't do for someone over 30. And maybe Alderweireld can be persuaded to stay?

14. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I must admit, the lopsided fullback system is growing on me because it lets Dele Alli play to his best on the advanced left of the midfield 3. Problem is that SuperJan can't go on forever, so another "stay at home left-back" will be needed at some point and they don't exactly grow on trees in the modern game.

Was a sloppy performance and Wolves were incredibly unlucky to come away with nothing, but there was a lot of character shown to snatch a pretty fortunate win. The Jose Way.

15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Without question Wolves were the better side, but interestingly watching the extended highlights Wolves dominance really didn’t materialize in to a final shot. They had some, but not many on target and not many dangerously on target.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think when Davies is healthy, our best back 4 is Serge-Alde-Jan-Davies. Davies can also play on the left of a 3 as he does for Wales. At this point, Rose looks like a write-off.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking that this week as Sky released their best goals of the decade, and guess whose debut goal was on there?

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I know, I know, but ever since his Google tirade, he has been damaged goods. Was once the best LB in the PL, now is just a shadow of that player.