Woe Canada

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by edwardgr, Apr 7, 2016.

1. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Canadian team in the playoffs for only the second time in history, and lets face it the only other time it happened was just after the league double in sized in the late 60's. Meaning this instance is nothing at all like 1969-70. In 69-70 the NHL was 12 teams with 2 being Canadian. The 'Original 6' comprised one division and the expansion 6 the other. So the Canadian teams that year played in a much much tougher division. Since the recent re-alignment the NHL Canadian teams are mostly in one division per conference, with Winnipeg being the only one on their own in a division. From a point total stand point it would appear that the bulk of Canadian teams were in the weaker division within each conference, and yet none are really even close to making the playoffs this year.

So for those who follow the NHL much closer than I do, do you think this is systemic, or a fluke.

2. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A month old, but thought I'd respond.

I think it is systemic. As long as team payrolls and any form of cap or sharing mechanism doesn't account for player's payroll taxes, and % cost of living, Canada doesn't look nearly as good as some American cities or states.

Florida doesn't have income tax. Sure, it accounts for the half of your games (home games as players are performers who pay tax where they perform), but it does play a part. Why do you thin LeBron and company chose Miami over New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. It wasn't just the weather.