WNT v Mexico (OQ), Feb. 13, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Feb 10, 2016.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Had visitors, only got to watch it tonight (Wed.)

1. The game very quickly became a question of if/when the US would score, rather than who would score first/most. You can argue over the definition of "played well" but there never was any sense that Mexico might win.

2. Seems like most everybody's book on Heath is to play her chippy; she'll chip back and maybe get carded.

3. I don't know about the rest of you, but Ellis made exactly the substitutions I expected of her. If Press' shot had bounced in instead of out, the Dunn sub would have looked pretty good. Krieger was subbed for rest IMO; once again, I remind everybody that they are monitored now-- the staff has more than intuition on when somebody is about to hit the wall, and can sub them before we see the reason; as well as better information on how much recovery time a player needs. And Ellis is clearly feeling that going to a three back when the opponent is tired is a "best defense is a good offense move." When it gets near the end, Hinkle comes in and a four back sets to killing the clock; they did that really well this game.

4. I've certainly seen lots of worse PK calls; don't think I'd have called it, but it may well have been more obvious if you were actually on the pitch.