WNT v France, Mar. 6, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Mar 4, 2016.

1. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, maybe that's why Lloyd didn't want her fiance or any of her family at the games in Canada during the 2015 WWC.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get an NT that plays like a team, just pick 7 starters from one team ;) (and then tell them to play differently)

Of course, that approach doesn't work for USWNT, since most NWSL teams are just as lacking in team tactics (and most have leaky defenses). So far, the solution to that configuration seems to be an explosive individual who makes brilliant individual moves and scores a lot.

And great NWSL teamwork keeps losing to one counterattack per year :laugh::oops:, which further devalues its apparent worth.

3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I agree. But, it's gotta be hard to bench the reigning WPOY.

I'd say move her back to Horan's spot and put someone else in her place.

8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An observation about the discussion about posters who think they have better ideas than the coaches, could come up with better players, etc. and about posters who disagree with them or at least don't like their complaining. I've been reading posts in this forum since well before the 2011 WWC. It's always this way. And, if I had started reading five years earlier than that, I'm confident it would have been the same way back then.

Which means, I guess, that it's simply the way of the world.

exref and 8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Except for the small fact that Tobin and Meghan didn't play on the same side of the field. But carry on

7. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    They played on same side the whole first half. What game were you watching?

8. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    It was stated by Foudy at the beginning of the game that Tobin was switching sides to help Meghan with Thomis. That's what graphic showed and how they played it.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That comment was unnecessary and it did not serve to to advance the conversation for the rest of the readers here; only for you (refer to your post #197).The following, however, I do agree with:

Regarding how jointed or disjointed they appear to be playing, I think Ellis is trying to have them do things differently this year and it shows up as being ineffective at this time. (Maybe Ellis' apparently odd statement that she thought they did well vs. France actually means she thought they made a good effort trying to do what she wanted them to do. OR it was intentional B.S. for the media.) I would like to refer back to the Alex Morgan S.I. interview (my bold)

SI.com: In pure soccer terms, how does the new formation influence what you do?

Morgan: I feel like it’s less moving side to side and basing my runs off of the forward in front of me. I’m not checking if they run behind, or if they check I’m the one running behind testing the defense. It’s all about me being the one who makes the first move unless we have a run from in behind. It’s a lot different. And I also need to play that post-up role as well, instead of flicking it or assuming that someone is going to be higher than me. But I enjoy the role, because the games where Carli and I do play well, it’s so on. It feels really good and so natural. We just need to try to replicate that every game.
    I think the followup to that quote by Morgan is what she said about her own thinking during Pugh's play and through ball /assist: "I think she has great decision making, so I knew when she took that ball down, I just needed to get my butt past the defenders, and Mal played me in perfectly. All I needed to do is put it past the keeper."

10. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #210 8MiLLeNiuM, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    I know Sauerbrunn had some horrible turnovers in this game, but I didn't think it was worthy of discussion and looked past it this match, since it was an aberration rather than the norm for her. I stated my reason in an earlier post, as to why I think she had a bad game.

Also, I wanted to point out to all our fellow posters that these friendly matches are not geared towards producing a victory, as much as there are tailored for testing players pairings, new strategies/tactics, etc., etc. Therefore, I am not overly concerned with the disorganized play that much. Whenever a team is trying new stuff, a few gaffes are inevitable.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I really like the formation Ellis rolled out for this game. She started the match with a 4-2-3-1 formation, which I think was key. I liked that she loaded the MF with 5 players, rather than let the French run rampant over our MF.

Agreed. Gotta get some results from our set pieces, which is a traditional strength of this team. No excuse for lack of production here.

11. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's EQ?

Way too many acronyms in our day and age. Either that or I'm getting old :unsure: (probably the latter).

This is literally true.

12. CrankyDefender

Apr 24, 2014
    DAM the homonyms!

[​IMG]

lil_one, Gilmoy and Semblance17 repped this.
  13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I get why people still like Lloyd, she makes valuable contributions. I also agree with the poster who mentioned that the team is evolving and her playing style doesn't seem to be a good fit with the incoming crop of talent. I recognize benching the reigning player of the year is far fetched, but is moving her deeper at this stage of her career some kind of heresy?

It really does seem to me that Lloyd has more than her share of unforced errors. Those drive me nuts, and I don't mind Pugh's turnovers because they mostly appear to me on what would have been a sure attempt on goal had it come off. Lloyd's turnovers seem to be of the type that make me use foul language because a starting offensive player on the top team in the world ought to be able to cycle the ball around the perimeter.

Namdynamo and 8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  14. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

exref repped this.
  15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Pugh's been great -
    Morgan is also making great runs and scoring a few nice goals. I think Dunn needs to be playing, if that's as a second half sub, then...fine for now. but she's more dynamic than say Heath....who has 14 goals IN 120 or so caps.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Equalizersoccer.com

8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  17. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    welcome to the past decade of our lives.

exref, Namdynamo and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it's just as in important to gel ur first 14 as it is gelling ur starters. If Press and Dunn r expected to contribute in roles coming off the bench they need to be consistently doing that

exref repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Has an awful lot of assists, though... she must be in the top five of active players, or really really close to it. A-Rod, maybe...

20. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Do you guys not understand why the 11 is starting? It's viewed to be her best technical team. Her LB is a midfielder that can play combinations and possession. Pugh is starting because of her link up play and understanding of the game. Tobin is playing possession with the center midfielders and linking up out wide with her full backs. Horan and Brian are viewed as her best technical midfielders. This is what Ellis wants.

21. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Psshaw! Anyone who is successfully recording and uploading HD games to YouTube quifies for the "Forever Young Pass" in my book.

Namdynamo, jackdoggy and 8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  22. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we're into the usual Lloyd is inconsistent phase of the cycle. It does seem like Pia is basically right though: you keep showing confidence in her and she'll eventually show up in the big games with a wildly out-sized impact, whatever she's doing. Don't ... and you basically 'lose' her to a spiral of confidence issues and even worse performances.

It is what it is. So we all will just suck it up either gracefully or with lots of bitching because she's (almost certainly) not getting benched (and shouldn't) unless she's injured or all the starters are sitting.

Blaze20 repped this.
  23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is what Ellis wants but to get it she needs to turn a blind eye to all those chances France failed to capitalize on. With Krieger gone Sauerbrunn is now the only starter who earns her pay for her defense instead of her offense.

EbaJones repped this.
  24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    For the last 4-5 matches that Pugh has started she always plays on the left. As others have mentioned, they do switch the wingers for a few minutes or so and than they go right back to where they started.

25. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    This game was a little bit different. She started on the right and played the whole 1st half there. Then she switched a little bit with Heath in the 2nd, but still spent most of her time on the right.