WNT v Costa Rica (OQ), Feb. 10, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think Johnston pulled up and did not follow through. But the majority of tackles like that are typically yellow card worthy.

sitruc repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After re-watching it, I'm okay with the yellow card. She may have not had the follow through, but the way she went in could still be called "reckless."

What I do question though was the foul called on JJ earlier in the game (around the 20' ?) where it looked like Cruz actually went into JJ's head with her elbow...that was not a foul on JJ, imo.

My biggest problem with the referee though was that she needed to get out of Lloyd's way! ;)

Gilmoy and sitruc repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The three back might give Ellis an interesting change of pace against any team if she is willing to break up her back line. If she wanted to bring Press at 60 minutes in for either Krieger, Klingenberg, Dunn or Heath she could go 15 to 20 minutes with Morgan, Lloyd & Press, then replace Morgan or Lloyd with a defender and finish the game with a four back. Of course whoever ends up at the wing backs has to defend to make it work but it would force the other team to make a big defensive shift for key minutes in the middle of the match and then switch back.

Mazza24 repped this.
  4. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I like the fact that our forwards have shown up so far in 2016 (albeit against Ireland and CR). Lloyd (sorry, I'm counting her as a forward) and Morgan have multiple goals and assists, while Press has scored a goal and assisted on another in limited minutes. Heck, even Pugh has a goal. I've always said, if the US wants to win the Olympic tournament their forwards have to show up this year. So far so good.

Mazza24 repped this.
  5. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    What is the difference between O'Reilly taking the ball wide and crossing to a teammate, Dunn just taking the ball inside looking for her own shot every time?

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis seems to want her outside mids to cut in over staying wide.

7. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015