WNT v Colombia, Apr. 10, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 PM ET
    Talen Energy Stadium; Chester, Pa.

Will we see a repeat of Wednesday night's 7-0 thrashing? Who knows.

2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt it. Columbia has had a few days to practice and contemplate their performance -- and the law of averages says that the US will miss more shots in the next game. I'll guess 3 or 4 to 0.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Laughing. Ok, I get the point, and I've been in Colombia 3 or 4 times. So I have no excuse.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're the first in this thread. I'm sure you won't be the last.

6. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #6 holden, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    To be fair, both uses are derived from the same person. So saying Columbia instead of Colombia is really no different to calling Japan "Japan" or Spain "Spain." It is the English language version of the name.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Saying it wrong (as FS1 repeatedly did) and spelling it wrong are separate matters. Colombia is the spelling of the country in Spanish and English. Of course neither Christopher or Columbus were names the man was given at birth.;)

I'm not sure what your point was about Spain is unless you meant to type "España" instead of "Span."

CoachJon repped this.
  8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #8 holden, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    I meant to type Spain, not Span. That was a typo. Point was: in English we call it "Spain" even though in Spanish they call it España. That is the same thing that has happened to Cristoforo Colombo's name. In English it's Columbus. And that's where Columbia comes from. So all I'm saying it's it's understandable why people make the mistake.

It's not nearly as egregious as some of the other misnomers we use (such as what we call the original inhabitants of the continent we live on).

9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GnR in Vegas is the only reason I'm not in Philly.
    7-0 was not a mistake, misprint or fluke.

Freight Train Status.

2016 WILL BE GLORIOUS.

10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^He chose Guns N' Roses over the USWNT?

jackdoggy repped this.
  11. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know why Ashley Sanchez was sent back to school? Rather, what was the real reason for getting her into camp at this time?

I don't want to get into any long-winded discussion of what other players could've/should've been called into camp. Just curious about this particular call up.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Why do you think there is a real reason other than the one given? I find it highly believable that after the success of Pugh the coaching staff could have want to gauge her readiness for the senior team. Her returning back to school could mean either her level is not there yet or this was something that was already decided. Either way I don't see anything suspicious here.

lunatica repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  14. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Now am I remembering this wrong or did Rincon go back in 2015? I thought Rincon was offered a contract and turned it down.

16. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not suspicious, just odd timing. I'm not sure there was a reason ever given for the initial call up; although lots of speculation on this board.

My only let down is that I was looking forward to seeing her skills on the field with the full NT. So, what other reasons for the call up, if not to try out for the Rio roster? To be honest, I always thought it was late to get her on board for the Olympics roster.

I initially thought was that this was a reward call up. The only other thing that makes sense, at this point, is that this was a preparatory call up (to get her used to the environment), in anticipation of making next year's squad, as she was never going to see the pitch.

17. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    The score can be worse with the Morgan's coming back tomorrow.

Ellis keeps saying more people have a chance, she can barely find PT for Dunn and Press. We really need more players?

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well what goes around comes around. Tom Sermanni got fired for trying to make players compete for spots and now Ellis is going out of her way to do that.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #19 kernel_thai, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As I mentioned in the other match thread, they should have evaluated Brian in Orlando then shipped her back to Houston to continue her rehab when the team came north.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Collected wisdom of Jill Ellis on the #6 position

Does kind of lean toward her sticking with the three front.

lil_one repped this.
  22. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Especially if, for example, people get the country mixed up with, say, Columbia University or the capital of South Carolina, which is Columbia.

23. robcap17

robcap17 New Member

Apr 10, 2016
    anyone have any insight on what's up with Kriegs? She's been a permanent starting fixture for so long, she wore the capt band a few months ago and then has barely seen the field since. I've heard about Ellis trying all the OB/OM combos to create more offense, but Kriegs isn't even coming in off the bench at this point... Personally, while Kling can produce some nice results pushing up on offense, I've never been a big fan of her defense...but maybe how a defender defends isn't important anymore?

24. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to include it when I created the thread, but the match will be broadcast on ESPN.

Interesting how Fox and ESPN seem to play hot potato with coverage of the friendlies. Of course, occasionally the potato gets dropped altogether.

25. Michael Gibson

Dec 23, 2014
    Darn, I was hoping Long and Mewis were competing with Horan for a spot. Brian is getting a spot - that's a no-brainer - Horan seems iffy to me in the midfield. Long looked fast and aggressive, and her decision-making was nearly flawless. Only one game though...

Cannons repped this.