With Tata POSSIBLY leaving at seasons end....

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by HScoach13, Oct 19, 2018.

1. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    to manage El Tri (as reported by ESPN). Who should be our next coach?

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose Mourinho or Zinedine Zidane.

3. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    It's going to be tough because most big names are already going to have a job either with club or country so I don't we will be prying someone away, so we need to look at who is open at the moment. I think we should keep the South American pipeline open so we need someone familiar down there. So my current preference is Sampoli (Argentina's last coach) as he was a much better club coach than national team coach. Plus, IIRC, he plays a 3-4-3 which we are already built to play.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) Nothing is confirmed, and both Tata and Bocanegra this week debunked the notion that something is already agreed. I find it highly dubious Tata would allow anything like this to leak at this time knowing what it could do to his team's morale as they prepare to begin the postseason. Plus El Tri would have to pay Martino a s*** ton of money to do that job considering it comes with 10 degrees of pressure beyond what he likes. I'm not saying he won't go or that Mexico won't be his landing spot, but this runs against the grain of everything Tata has said for the past month.

B) If he does go there I wish him nothing but abject failure.

c) IF he goes, whoever they get will undoubtedly mirror the model that Martino has offered - Strong connections to Latin America and a preference for an aggressive style. Sampoli would be a a decent follow up but would he adapt as well as Tata to MLS' scheduling, travels, seasonal structure, etc? Did he craft the lineup while at Sevilla or was that done with an inherited roster?

Beyond that I haven't thought about it much partly due to denial and partly due to focus on the remaining matches. I'll let Eales and Bocanegra handle the worrying.

5. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    you can keep Mourinho. There are enough boring teams out there without openly inviting the head valet of bus parking.

If we're going to go with a retread I'd rather take Wenger. Plays kids and a positive style.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Moyes is a solid "Hell no." His style of play and coaching are the opposite of Martino so that would be effectively starting a rebuilding effort when not needed.

Wenger is intriguing but even as a Gooner I say no thank you. He is a visionary but not a great modern day tactician and really struggled to develop talent during his last few years at Arsenal, even with young stars like Walcott, Wilshire, Ramsey, etc. Given United's aim of attracting and developing talent from South America we'll need someone better tuned to that culture and fast tracking player improvement for at least special projects. I just don't think Arsene is cut to do that anymore. He was great when the EPL was essentially Arsenal and ManU, but otherwise is too stoic to adapt to an MLS model in my opinion.

8. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Guillermo Barros Schelloto is supposedly who ATL is going to hire. Not a bad hire at all! Just hope he wins Copa Libertadores with Boca first and brings Cristian Pavon with him. (wishful thinking on Pavon, I know)

9. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Article on MLSsoccer.com discussing why the announcement came today. Reportedly Tata told the team yesterday so the team wanted to resolve the matter straight away so that the fall out will be done before the playoffs begin.

11. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA

Smart. Focus the team. Although it shouldnt be needed perhaps this provides additional incentive to win. Add urgency to the team to finish the drill and not wait until next year.

Makes Sunday's match against Toronto even more interesting as a short term sample.