Will the Premiership dominate the CL?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by evangel, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Was more fun before wasn't it :D

Although readin about how Man Utd and Liverpool get raped financially is quite fun as well. But then again you American idiots wouldn't know much about economics now would ya, Ricky.

2. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    I wish i was american so i could answer your question. Maybe you can bring in your view of the current economical climate in Norway?

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Haven't really been hit that badly by the mess you guys have made. Isn't it kind of sad that the only superpower left has the dumbest population in the developed world. I find that very worrying.

4. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    Duck stop having sex with reindeers:eek:

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Reindeers? They have sex? Wow.

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am interested to discuss this with you but it has to be on the basis of using the actual numbers. :)

You are quoting hypothetical expense line figures to me, but as I've already said, Glazer has been extremely careful to keep opex low in the football business. Man Utd's payroll is not much different to Arsenal's.

This LBO is all about the extremely rapid expansion of the Utd business - and it is this part that the german clubs cannot compete with. Madrid, Barca etc can - for various reasons.

Well worth looking up was Utd's digital marketing plan presented at the Cannes Advertising festival about 18 mths back. This called for Utd to acquire 350m digital fans globally. Key aspects of the plan were all the usual global business partnerships - but also on the marketing side Utd required the hottest football talent.

When have Utd ever had a bench featuring people like Nani + Anderson +Hargraves (50m) and Saha (then) or now even Tevez (30m)?

The PLC, with its objective superior financials, could not execute that plan. For the same reasons Arsenal cannot.

The LBO structure enables you to operate the business at a much higher level and expand much faster than the normal turnover allows. So for instance Liverpool don't need to be able to afford 45K on Torres +Keane - it just goes on the slate. The downside is the whopping great risk. Plenty of LBO's end up in disaster, or with the company ultimately much worse off.

But from the Glazer's POV, they may as well buy any player they think they need to be the most exciting club in the world.

Just to be clear - the PLC never operated like this. In fact the 25m acquisition of Rooney meant that SAF had no money the next year if you recall.

On another tack, and relating to what Cirdan has said - what everyone has to be worried about is if the Glazer's succeed.

What if Utd becomes a 500m Euro turnover football club?

In addition Arsenal could well be debt free by 2011 - which would give them unheralded spending power.

By comparison the german clubs are simply not geared for this. Nor is german product in german language geared for a global audience.

For me the spanish and italian clubs will compete. But I see a large risk of Germany falling by the wayside.

Not that it is necessarily a bad thing.

The league here works very well - is there really any need to go on global and crazy? IMO not.

What remains to be seen is how well Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal cope with the crunch.

7. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    Once again the crunch wont hurt us one bit, we want shot of the americans ( or is that americans shot) because we know a life long Dubai fan will pick us up

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well that's interesting because if a cash rich backer did come in, and operated anything like City propose - then again I think we can consign german clubs to the 'also ran' category.

What I wonder is if the format of the CL will actually need to alter.

The whole point is as a playground for the mega elite clubs.

If there are ultimately 5-6 English clubs in this category - then one imagines that the English contingent will expand.

9. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's obviously never going to happen.

10. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arsenal will spend the minimum amounts possibe till 2011, then the summer after they will be sold and you will be in whatever the clubs worth is in debt, lots to look forward to for you.:)

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    possibly. I actually expected it to have happened already.

LBOs aren't very possible right now ;)

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    why?

13. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even in the conditions of a year ago it wouldn't make sense to sell, they will make alot more when the club is debt free and none of it would be on paper.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am sure that is what they thought.

However, now there are not so many people who can buy :D

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well, think about it. The UEFA Champsion League is a European competition. You think the others would be OK with more English teams? Why the hell would they want that. If this is the way things are supposed to go there wouldn't be any English teams in the competition today. It'd all be made up of Italian and Spanish teams who dominated in the early goings. If I'm not mistaken a Italian team was in the first seven Finals of the CL, and five Spanish finalists in five years before an all Italian final in 2003. The PL would be so far behind at that point they'd never sniff the success they have today.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Cash determines everything. Is it really that much of a stretch to imagine some nomark country making way for Man City in the qualifying stages?

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Give me one reason why any other country then England would be for this? Serie A and La Liga teams couldn't give a shit about Man City. The only people who'd want them included at the cost of anyone are City fans.

18. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Italy only got that good because England was removed from their opposition and never recoverd till 98.
    Obviously they had great managers and players that England have not really ever produced but no way would Serie A have got so good if the then top nation had not been removed and tarnished(deserved).

19. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Italian clubs had the most money during the 80s and 90s. Their clubs were spending huge sums all through those decades and nobody else could compete with them financially. Milan and Juventus spent insane money by 90s standards. Now they are broke I frankly dont give a f'ck. I find it amusing to see clowns like Duck Mansion crying about this situation.

Obviously with our clubs banned they had far less competition and were able to take a stranglehold ,on top of being rich teams.

Getting banned for 5 full seasons (6 seasons in the european cup) for the actions of one team sure as hell aint deserved.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's bull and you know it. It wasn't until that PL money came in and English players were replaced by foreign talent that the top Prem League teams became a European force. Had nothing to do with Heysel.

21. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    At this point, yes it is. The UEFA is not a corporation with the sole target of making money, its leaders are elected by the member organizations, it's all about politics. Platini did not get elected with the backing of the big nations, but with the backing of the nomark countrys. Of course the big clubs do have a lot to say because they are necessary for the success of the competition, but the current situation is already a compromise (Platini originally wanted to reduce births of the top 3). So, I don't see 5 or more English teams coming with Platini as president, and since the last 2 presidents kept their job for 17 years each, I don't expect changes in the forseeable future. There is of course the remote possibility of some kind of a breakaway league of the big clubs, but a confrontation would include huge risks and for clubs like ManU, Barca, Real there is little to gain since they play CL anyway pretty much every year anyway.

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That would never happen if PL demanded more teams then Italy or Spain. English teams aren't that popular in other countries.

23. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    It was not because of the actions of one team. The Heysel tragedy was the result of the actions of Liverpool fans. However this was merely the low point in a series of hooligan-related incidents that blighted virtually every British club at the time. If the problem was merely Liverpool fans then only Liverpool would have been banned. Heysel was the most serious incident involving English hooligans but it was the straw that broke the camels back. Spurs, Leeds and Man U fans had all been involved in previous serious incidents resulting in club bans or expulsions from tournaments. At the time England fans were also rioting across Europe. Indeed it was the case that after Heysel, the English FA requested that English clubs be reinstated into Europe. The FA then withdrew this request after English fans caused trouble at the 1988 European Championships. Yes the Liverpool fans were at fault during the Heysel incident but it should be acknowledged that hooliganism was a mjor problem blighting virtually all British clubs at the time.

24. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, because the record of English teams in the years leading up to Heysel was dreadful, wasn't it? They'd only won the european cup 7 times in 8 years - pathetic eh?

25. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The shift in power would have happened regardless of Heysel. Italy had accepted foreigners back in Serie A and were taking over.