Will The Crew Move To Cincinnati?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Sep 24, 2017.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I have to wonder if MLS is thinking about this. Columbus is currently last in attendance. Cincinnati has a larger and more passionate fan base for soccer. And the stadium in Cincinnati is better than the erector-set stadium in Columbus. MLS wants the best atmosphere possible. The atmosphere in Cincinnati would be so much better than in Columbus.

Another option: the team could rebrand themselves The Ohio Crew. Cincinnati is not likely to get an expansion team. But they could get a rebranded Crew.

Crew SC in no rush to move stadium
    https://www.bizjournals.com/columbu...management-says-there-is-no-rush-to-move.html

2. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    #2 Coyote89, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Well, that would be tough because FC Cincinnati isn't going anywhere. They've got the largest following in USL and have made an expansion bid to join MLS. So you can't realistically just move another club into their city when the team that is already there has worked so hard to cultivate their following. It's not like the FC Cincinnati ownership group would just step aside and let Columbus take over what they built.

What MLS could do is award an expansion bid to Cincy yet fold Columbus, as they had done previously with Tampa, Miami, and Chivas. But they would probably only do that if there were serious financial struggles in Columbus or an ownership group that was looking to get out. After all, Columbus was among the original 10 who helped build the league and they were even the first to construct a soccer-specific stadium. So, I can't see MLS kicking them out, unless their owners want out.

By the way, if Cincy were awarded MLS expansion, the local derby with Columbus could benefit both clubs as those games be the top draw for both teams each season.

TKyle and Tobias C repped this.
  3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I agree. But FC Cincinnati could be bought out. MLS now prefers European style names, so an MLS team in Cincinnati would probably retain the "FC Cincinnati" name. As to who the ownership group would be, who knows? I just know that MLS would rather have a full house in Cincinnati than a half empty Crew stadium.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread aged well.

KidFlash, xtomx, jayd8888 and 1 other person repped this.
  5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    How about that article?

The Franchise and American Brummie repped this.
  6. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't until the last four weeks they realized how insufficient the current facility is.

(I'm going to practice saying that with a straight face, then apply for a PR job with PSV.)

jayd8888 repped this.
  7. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Precourt is a punk.

8. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Did anyone see the Austin move coming? I sure didn't...and I live in Austin!